This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting married next August

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Getting married next August
(message deleted)
(message deleted)

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
7 years ago#33
"Personally I feel that it is pointless for atheists to be on a religion board.

There is no real reason for them to be here other than to troll."

That's why I flamed you. The accusation of trolling. If you think insults are valid criticism, why do you have a prolem with me telling you what I think of you?
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
7 years ago#34
Maybe you should look up the definition of respect, because clearly, you lack it

I have as much respect for you as you have for the words you're butchering. And when people refuse to listen to reason, snark kicks in. I mean, really. How hard is it to admit that 'inconceivable' does not mean what you think it does?

In fact, it is completely pointless otherwise as "making a commitment in front of friends" simply signifies that you need validation or approval (like you wouldn't marry them anyway right?)

You are banned from attending birthday/New Years parties under penalty of being declared a hypocrite. 2012 will happen with or without you and the champagne.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: Patriotwolf

Patriotwolf
7 years ago#35
Hustle Kong posted...
"That's why I flamed you. The accusation of trolling. If you think insults are valid criticism, why do you have a prolem with me telling you what I think of you?

apparently the mods do. In this situation I am the better person because I didn't respond with the same flames you did. You simply like humility and need to take it opinion for what it is instead of being defensive like someone just killed your dog or something.

As far as getting married, just because you get married doesn't mean your relationship will be any different. In fact, statistics show (along with the divorce rate) that people are more unhappy in marriage than they were in their relationship beforehand. You move in together, you get in more fights, etc.

In the end, its subjective. One poster said that they would only do it for tax and law reasons. One said it signifies a commitment and its for the approval of friends and family. And yet another says its not. It is subjective to the situation and the couple.
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
7 years ago#36
" In this situation I am the better person"

I can't think of any situation in which you are the better person.

I took your opinion for what it was an insult. And one I see constantly. If that means I get modded for telling the person what I think about their opinion, so be it. At least you are aware of the level of esteem I have for your opinion.

I don't lack humility. What I lack is patience for bigoted insults. I must have touched a nerve, given how you keep talking about it. I freely admit that you touched a nerve with me. That's why I took time out of my day to specifically insult you.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: shockwavejim

shockwavejim
7 years ago#37
Thanks to all those who have said congrats!

As far as getting married, just because you get married doesn't mean your relationship will be any different. In fact, statistics show (along with the divorce rate) that people are more unhappy in marriage than they were in their relationship beforehand. You move in together, you get in more fights, etc.

Well, we have been living together for two years now. It will be three by the time we are married. I always thought there were potential problems in not having sex until marriage, or not living together first. It makes people rush to do it earlier than they are ready for it, or not know their partner through-and-through (we will have been together 8 years when we are married), or not be aware of serious sexual incompatibilities.

Our attitude toward marriage, which I think has helped avoid these kinds of problems, is that we don't really care about the ceremony, or feel any pressure to get it done earlier than we feel ready (well... except some people on her parents' side, but for the most part). I could quite happily remain in this situation for the rest of my life: after all it is only a piece of paper, as you say.

But humans need and strive for validation, and everyone enjoys a good party. Moreover, it is the customary thing to do, and it has nothing to do with religion: it is just something we do, and it makes us happy to make a commitment in front of family and friends. Some people are more sentimental about it than others (I know it means a lot more to her than it does to me, but not for religious reasons), but non-religious people can be sentimental you know. Marriage means a lot to us, but it has nothing to do with god or religion. So I ask again, why oppose gays marriage? If it means so much to us, why shouldn't it mean just as much to a gay couple? And if we can do it, why shouldn't they?
bibere humanum est, ergo bibamus

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
7 years ago#38
Congrats :D this is super exciting :D
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Getting married next August

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived