This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting married next August

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Getting married next August

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
7 years ago#11
It's actually pretty difficult to get a 'first definition' for marriage. The practice predates recorded history across nearly every culture, and has as wide a variety of definitions as you'd care to imagine. Some purely religious, some purely civil, and some personal, as well as a mixture of all three.
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick

kozlo100
7 years ago#12
Oh, and congrats shockwave. Kind of crazy planning a wedding, eh? Got my own coming up early next year. Mine will also be a non-religious ceremony, though there are a few religious elements that we are including.
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
7 years ago#13
Does this make my marriage less of a marriage than Christians'?
Well, if we're talking sacrament-wise, you don't qualify for "Matrimony". Whoop-de-do.
Legally? Practically? You're about as screwed as any other married man.
And at that, Mazel tov!
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: Infamous681

Infamous681
7 years ago#14
What is the point of getting married if you aren't religious? Wouldn't an atheist want to just live with someone without marriage?
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1715/cbco.png

kozlo100
7 years ago#15
What is the point of getting married if you aren't religious?

To make a lifelong commitment to the person you love in front of your friends and family.

mercuryink
7 years ago#16
And tax reasons.

User Info: Patriotwolf

Patriotwolf
7 years ago#17
kozlo100 posted...
What is the point of getting married if you aren't religious?

To make a lifelong commitment to the person you love in front of your friends and family.

Why not just elope then? Why have a ceremony if it means the same thing?
"You're just one big headache, and I got a pistol full of aspirin"
"Who cares if you screw others?"-1337toothbrush

User Info: shockwavejim

shockwavejim
7 years ago#18
What is the point of getting married if you aren't religious? Wouldn't an atheist want to just live with someone without marriage?

Sentiment, and tax. Are you the kind of person who thinks atheists shouldn't celebrate Christmas? Marriage is more than something religious, and for tradition or symbolism or whatever it means something to people.
bibere humanum est, ergo bibamus

mercuryink
7 years ago#19

Why not just elope then?

Erm...
in front of your friends and family
just elope
friends and family
elope

Head a-splode.

kozlo100
7 years ago#20
Why not just elope then? Why have a ceremony if it means the same thing?

I don't think that eloping does mean the same thing as having a ceremony with a large group of my friends and family attending. To my mind, the ceremony has meaning even if it lacks religion.

Or, what Merc said.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Getting married next August

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived