This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting married next August

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Getting married next August

User Info: shockwavejim

shockwavejim
6 years ago#1
In a hotel, not a church, with no religious overtones whatsoever. Does this make my marriage less of a marriage than Christians'?

As an extension, if I am allowed to get married, why shouldn't gays?
bibere humanum est, ergo bibamus

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
6 years ago#2
Do you even have to ask?
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: zyzzvya01

zyzzvya01
6 years ago#3
"Respect my beliefs that marriage is between an man and a woman, even though I have no factual evidence to support them!" is the most likely response, or a variant of "THIS IS THE WAY ITS ALWAYS BEEN" or "GOD SAYS SO".

User Info: king_gimpy

king_gimpy
6 years ago#4
zyzzvya01 posted...
"Respect my beliefs that marriage is between an man and a woman, even though I have no factual evidence to support them!" is the most likely response, or a variant of "THIS IS THE WAY ITS ALWAYS BEEN" or "GOD SAYS SO".

^ These are essentially all I've ever heard from opposition to same-sex marriage as well.

As far as the OP goes, I plan to get married in a court house because it's cheaper, faster, and I think weddings suck. I think most would view our marriages as just as valid though.
When I was born the doctor twisted up the facts,
he said that I was a devil son so now I'm having flashbacks.

User Info: chukie_sue

chukie_sue
6 years ago#5
If I ever get married, I think I might like the ceremony to take place outside. It would probably be performed by someone we know, and I wouldn't specifically ask for any religious theme in his/her little speech.

All this to say, no.

Congratulations :)
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.

User Info: Icymane_Shado

Icymane_Shado
6 years ago#6
In a hotel, not a church, with no religious overtones whatsoever. Does this make my marriage less of a marriage than Christians'?

I don't know how a marriage is quantitatively defined, so this is a nonsense question to me.

As an extension, if I am allowed to get married, why shouldn't gays?

Another nonsensical question, implying gay people are not allowed to be married. In actuality, the US is moving towards making gay marriage legally valid throughout the country. But from the Christian point of view, a marriage is a union between a man and a woman - therefore, no Christian should support such a redefinition of marriage, nor should they condone a homosexual relationship at all.
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"

shockwavejim
6 years ago#7
Another nonsensical question, implying gay people are not allowed to be married. In actuality, the US is moving towards making gay marriage legally valid throughout the country. But from the Christian point of view, a marriage is a union between a man and a woman - therefore, no Christian should support such a redefinition of marriage, nor should they condone a homosexual relationship at all.

You might want to reread that bolded bit.

And the point, if you care, is that the belief that "marriage is a union between a man and a woman" is religiously derived. Yet it is perfectly legal for non-religious people to get married, and no Christians oppose their right to do so. Where is the difference? Presumably a true marriage, according to Christian standards, can't be done iif god is not involved, or at least won't be valid in his eyes. So where do people get off opposing gay marriage when I am allowed to get married?

Oh, and thanks chuckie sue!

User Info: arian487

arian487
6 years ago#8
Well, I'm not versed historically but when was the term marriage coined? If, by definition, marriage involves a religious ceremony then by definition, the marriage isn't actually a marriage but more like a lawfully bound relationship.

I'm merely arguing definitions here. If we define marriage as any common law relationship then sure, but correct me if I'm wrong, the original definition of marriage actually implied religious ceremony of some sort.
x - (x^3 / 3!) + (x^5 / 5!) - (x^7 / 7!) + ... = sinx
4(1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...) = PI

shockwavejim
6 years ago#9
Well marriage has been around long before Christianity: the latin word used by the Romans was conubium, whence conjugal (or nuptiae for the preparations around a wedding). Marriages probably always had some form of religious rites associated with them, but they long predate xtianity.

User Info: OnceInALifeTime

OnceInALifeTime
6 years ago#10
There is no reason why we would have to stick with the traditional definition even if that definition is the first one in use. If we believe that two loving, consenting people can get married, including same-sex couples, then there is no reason why we should seek the permission of the religious organisations to change that.
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Getting married next August

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived