This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Believers can be "intelligent"? *baffled face*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Believers can be "intelligent"? *baffled face*

User Info: OnceInALifeTime

OnceInALifeTime
6 years ago#11
I think it depends on the level of belief somebody has. If a scientist believes the world is only 6000 years old, I'd question their intelligence. If a scientist accepts evolution, but thinks it was started by a deity, I wouldn't necessarily question their intelligence but I'd certainly question their argument and believes.

Dawkins talks about this in the God Delusion, and iirc he was talking more about scientists with a religious belief rather than intelligent people with a religious belief, and was doing so in answer to the notion that "even scientists believe the bible is true!". He's saying that scientists with religious beliefs don't typically have the same level of beliefs as the average Christian, not that they are being stupid.
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
6 years ago#12
I don't think Dawkins understands that regardless of intelligence religious faith is something a lot of people genuinely want to have. In the God Delusion he seems to think people are having to believe in religions against their own will because they don't understand the alternative. I think most people understand the alternative pretty well.

User Info: ledzepfan15

ledzepfan15
6 years ago#13
In the God Delusion he seems to think people are having to believe in religions against their own will because they don't understand the alternative. I think most people understand the alternative pretty well.

No I think it's because people don't understand the alternative, is why they choose to reject it. Many theists seem to straw man scientific principles like evolution and the big bang, because they don't understand it. And because those things go against their beliefs, they choose not to understand it.
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro

User Info: the_hedonist

the_hedonist
6 years ago#14
ledzepfan15 posted...
No I think it's because people don't understand the alternative, is why they choose to reject it. Many theists seem to straw man scientific principles like evolution and the big bang, because they don't understand it. And because those things go against their beliefs, they choose not to understand it.

Evolution and the big bang are not alternatives to theism.
Thumbs up for rock 'n' roll.
~The Christian Hedonist~

User Info: Dbzmaniax

Dbzmaniax
6 years ago#15
Am I expected to give weight to who this man believes to be intelligent or not. I was about to write a short paragraph against his point before deciding that it would be quite insulting to my intelligence and that of the many others to bother arguing the points presented by Retro.
Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers. - Muhammad salalahu alayhi wasalam

ledzepfan15
6 years ago#16
Evolution and the big bang are not alternatives to theism.

I'm aware of that, but other people believe otherwise.
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro

User Info: sefsefsefsef

sefsefsefsef
6 years ago#17
I don't get what's attractive about the alternatives to religiousness. Is there something beyond "I disagree with his beliefs!" that makes a religious person less desirable?
http://imacomputer.blogspot.com - I write this blog about computer science
http://sefsefsefsef.blogspot.com - and this one about sefsefsefsef and videogames

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
6 years ago#18
It's tends to be only organised theistic religions atheists are attempting to organise themselves against as they see them as a malign influence on society and prevents proper science from being understood. Though of course they also see themselves as having superior intellectual honesty. There tends to be a great deal of self satisfied ego involved as you can see in that video clip.

User Info: sefsefsefsef

sefsefsefsef
6 years ago#19
Retro, that makes it sound like atheists feel blind/bigoted fear/hatred of religious people. It seems irrational to me.
http://imacomputer.blogspot.com - I write this blog about computer science
http://sefsefsefsef.blogspot.com - and this one about sefsefsefsef and videogames

ledzepfan15
6 years ago#20
Though of course they also see themselves as having superior intellectual honesty.

Why do you think that?
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Believers can be "intelligent"? *baffled face*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived