This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Believers can be "intelligent"? *baffled face*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Believers can be "intelligent"? *baffled face*

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
7 years ago#1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGSN7Kj-My0&feature=related

Richard Dawkins response is this.

1) They aren't really religious but just agree with the kind scientific pantheistic God as Einstein believed in. Which is the same thing as atheism anyway, so they are intelligent.

2) They don't really believe in what they say they believe in, they're saying out of some kind of loyalty. So they are still intelligent but dishonest.

3) I'm skeptical of your claim that they are intelligent.

Why can't he say that that its perfectly possible to be intelligent and just plain wrong? Its sheer arrogance of the man!

User Info: chukie_sue

chukie_sue
7 years ago#2
What you said.

Oh Romans 14:11 fail me not *grin*
A mighty hand, an outstretched arm - You are the God who saves, Deliverer Your name.

User Info: penance44

penance44
7 years ago#3
You can be intelligent and wrong at the same time.

You cannot be intelligent and stupid at the same time.
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Give a man religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.
http://i54.tinypic.com/2i0yubo.png

User Info: Guide

Guide
7 years ago#4
You can be intelligent and stupid at the same time. Bobby Fischer, for example.

Also any scientist with a daddy-issues girlfriend.
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
7 years ago#5
No, I think that's alternating intelligence and stupidity.
That said, a fast car can be driven slowly.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: kirsybuu

kirsybuu
7 years ago#6
You misunderstand his point. He thinks that it's unintelligent to not apply your critical thinking skills, if you have them, to your religious beliefs.
"sabe que no puede resistir mis encantos sensuales." ~ Poolshark128

User Info: SirThinkALot

SirThinkALot
7 years ago#7
You misunderstand his point. He thinks that it's unintelligent to not apply your critical thinking skills, if you have them, to your religious beliefs.

What about Christians who have done so?
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot

User Info: the_hedonist

the_hedonist
7 years ago#8
kirsybuu posted...

Yes, but for me, it's not a question of whether one can be intelligent in one area and simply misapply that intelligence in another. Like you're smart 6 days of the week, but put that on hold on Sunday. It's a question of whether you can apply critical thinking skills to the question of God (and in the case of Christians, the truth of the Bible) and still come away with Christian beliefs. I think the answer is yes, but Dawkins clearly does not agree.
Thumbs up for rock 'n' roll.
~The Christian Hedonist~

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
7 years ago#9
What about Christians who have done so?

Dawkins seems to believe they're secretly atheists in the closet who don't want to come out.

User Info: CuddleWithClaws

CuddleWithClaws
7 years ago#10
You can be intelligent and wise at the same time. You can also be intelligent and unwise at the same time, and such people are pretty much the most dangerous people on earth.
The ease of laughter comes so fast when you're not in the jester's shoes, 'cause when you've only fools gold you've got nothing more to lose.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Believers can be "intelligent"? *baffled face*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived