This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think of these two CRITICISMS of Christianity.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What do you think of these two CRITICISMS of Christianity.

User Info: Wu_Zonghai

Wu_Zonghai
7 years ago#11
Why didn't we include a book of peter's letters to so and so then?
At night, the trolls crawl out from their bridges to dance under the pale moon.

Wu_Zonghai
7 years ago#12
Also, why do we listen to Paul's negative words about women and homosexuality and thus shun these people, when Jesus told us to love all and forgive all for their trespasses?

We listen to Paul when he says all women should be veiled and should not speak in church. Would Jesus really advocate that? Who knows, man. Paul says that men shouldn't have long hair because it looks like a woman's. And he says a woman's glory is man, a man's is Christ, and Christ's glory is God.

What kind of authority is this? He is using philosophy and, what he criticized, "his flesh" in many of the writings. No doubt, he is write about quite a few things, but saying that because it's "shameful" that a man has long hair, means that no man should grow their hair long, and that it's "shameful" that a woman has short hair means no woman should ever cut their hair is ridiculous.

Isn't it "shameful" to carry a cross and die on it as well? Isn't it shameful for the son of man to die by the hands of jews and Romans? These teachings wash the outside of the cup, but not the inside.

User Info: squareandrare

squareandrare
7 years ago#13
How the could the fact that some people incorrectly perceive words to be from God argue that God never speaks?

It argues that the religion as a whole isn't correct. Either that, or believers simply can't communicate with god.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

User Info: Icymane_Shado

Icymane_Shado
7 years ago#14
Also, why do we listen to Paul's negative words about women and homosexuality and thus shun these people

Wait, what? We SHUN gay people and women?

Are we talking about the same religion here? Because according to you, women never speak in Christian churches.
"There's only two things I fear more than myself in a battle, God and my shadow"

User Info: SirThinkALot

SirThinkALot
7 years ago#15
If two people can actually communicate with god, they shouldn't have any fundamental disagreements about theology.

The fact that there are so many denominations destroys the idea of god communicating his will to his followers.

That only applies if one believes that God audibaly communicates with his followers on a regular basis....
Read my blog: http://sirthinkalotsthoughts.blogspot.com/
PSN name: SirThinkALot

User Info: Julian_Caesar

Julian_Caesar
7 years ago#16
Also, why do we listen to Paul's negative words about women and homosexuality and thus shun these people, when Jesus told us to love all and forgive all for their trespasses?

Negative words about women? At its beginning, Christianity was one of the most socially progressive religions of all time. And lest you consider that ancient history, don't forget that Christianity was the major driving force behind American abolitionism AND the entire social equality movement which took place between the Civil War and the World Wars. Paul only seems sexist by current standards. By that time period's standards he was far from it.

Are you specifically focusing on a few passages which seem oppressive according to our modern standards? There are several passages where Paul commends specific women as examples for others to follow, which would have been unheard of in that day's Jewish culture. And I have NO idea where you're getting the idea that Paul said to "shun" women.

Now as far as homosexuality, and Jesus' words on love and forgiveness in general, read v. 1-11:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+8&version=NIV

The key is in verse 11: "now go and sin no more."

I believe this applies to the homosexual lifestyle as well. Don't stone them, or hate them, or cast them out. But you absolutely have to tell them that what they're doing is sinful.

We listen to Paul when he says all women should be veiled and should not speak in church. Would Jesus really advocate that?

You mean in the midst of a culture where women were traditionally not allowed to learn ANY spiritual teachings whatsoever? I think Jesus would advocate allowing women to something they'd never been allowed to do in that culture before. Finding fault with that viewpoint because they weren't allowed to speak is...nitpicky, for lack of a better word.

but saying that because it's "shameful" that a man has long hair, means that no man should grow their hair long, and that it's "shameful" that a woman has short hair means no woman should ever cut their hair is ridiculous.

http://www.metalforjesus.org/longhair.html

Again, historical context is everything. But I wasn't actually aware of this particular point until I looked it up...so just based on Scriptures, your analysis is somewhat justified. Like a lot of things with Paul, it has to be understood that his advice is usually given to specific cities with specific problems. And if you haven't looked it up or previously known it, you're essentially working with incomplete information.

Isn't it "shameful" to carry a cross and die on it as well? Isn't it shameful for the son of man to die by the hands of jews and Romans? These teachings wash the outside of the cup, but not the inside.

Those things are very shameful. In fact, that was the entire point of the crucifixion...all the shame that should have been ours, was taken by Jesus. He died the most shameful death possible, so that we no longer have to bear the shame that SHOULD be ours, because of our sins. There is no "teaching" that can wash the inside of the cup, apart from believing in Jesus as Savior and trusting in Him as Lord. Paul washes the outside because he knows he has no power to wash the inside.
"I don't think you can run a double-blind experiment with an omniscient being as the subject." -- kozlo100
(message deleted)

Wu_Zonghai
7 years ago#18

Wait, what? We SHUN gay people and women?

Are we talking about the same religion here? Because according to you, women never speak in Christian churches.

We obviously don't listen to Paul in these passages, but he spoke about them.

Wu_Zonghai
7 years ago#19
oh nvm, i see what you mean, and YES we do shun gay people. not you and I, but others.

We have terrible sexism towards women as well prevalent in our culture. Do you think Jesus would have said these things? I'm not entirely sure... yet people quote letters paul wrote to the churches as the word of God.

User Info: NoSite4OldCEmen

NoSite4OldCEmen
7 years ago#20
2. Multiple people who claim to be Christian have differing views on certain aspects, so who should a person believe is accurate? Why believe it's accurate at all if there are so many contradictory beliefs within the religion itself?

That's like your teacher throwing out your essay because he found a type-o. Just because they disagree doesn't mean that one of them didn't get it right or that they aren't correct about the things they do agree on.
The Internet is a Series of Tubes
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What do you think of these two CRITICISMS of Christianity.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived