This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pronouncing the words Allah, Mohammed and Koran in a "Muslim way"

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Pronouncing the words Allah, Mohammed and Koran in a "Muslim way"

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
7 years ago#21
Its easy enough to pronounce them with standard English pronunciation it just seems like no-one likes to do that, it has to be the "Muslim way".

User Info: Dbzmaniax

Dbzmaniax
7 years ago#22
ITT: Pronouncing Arabic words correctly = talking 'Muslim'.
Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers. - Muhammad salalahu alayhi wasalam

Retrotastic
7 years ago#23
Americans don't say words like aluminum or tomato "the correct way" but it doesn't seem to bother them at all.

Dbzmaniax
7 years ago#24
You're comparing dialect to words from a different language. Are you advocating ignorance here or something? I'm not getting your point - it's almost as if you look down on proper pronunciation.
Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers. - Muhammad salalahu alayhi wasalam | Dbz

Retrotastic
7 years ago#25
Well all words are subject to dialect. Or do words pronounced the "Muslim way" have religious significance? This is what I'm not sure about. I thought they did it because it was cool.

Dbzmaniax
7 years ago#26
Retrotastic posted...
Well all words are subject to dialect. Or do words pronounced the "Muslim way" have religious significance? This is what I'm not sure about. I thought they did it because it was cool.

What significance it has, if you're going to go around acting all high and mighty, I suggest you pick up a couple of pamphlets about Islam (they seem to be a primary source to you) and search for the answer yourself.
Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers. - Muhammad salalahu alayhi wasalam

Retrotastic
7 years ago#27
they seem to be a primary source to you

Written articles are my primary source as I can't always get direct access to God himself. So there is some kind of great esoteric secret behind all this it isn't just a fashionable thing for Western Muslim converts to do?

Dbzmaniax
7 years ago#28
Again, these people are pronouncing the words the way they are meant to be pronounced. Again, you continue to call this pronunciation 'Muslim' when these words are Arabic. The fact that Muslims tend to read the Qur'an (which, contrary to popular belief, is written in Arabic, not in Muslim) and are exposed to the correct pronunciation of terms and, as such, tend to adopt these terms speaks for itself.

If anything, it seems that those most against Islam are more likely to have incorrect pronunciation (Izlam, Moslem, Koran, etc) than those more 'neutral' towards the religion.

I will say this, given that the Qur'an is written in Arabic, it is recommended for Muslims to at least learn to read the language to enable them to read the Qur'an and not just a translation. Of course, for anyone to whom Arabic is not a first language, a translation is still of crucial importance and will, in essence, help them to understand the language of the Qur'an (which, in itself, isn't all that difficult given that a small number of words make up the majority of the text).

Muslims from all walks of life are more in tune with their holy text and more capable to understand it in its native language than any other religion I'm aware of. Indian, Turkish, Persian, Indonesia, European, etc - it's not uncommon for people from all these regions to be able to quote passages from the Qur'an or even having memorized the entire book.

Retrotastic
7 years ago#29
Reading through the Qur'an atm I'm trying to decide whether I'm neutral or utterly opposed to Islam, I could swing either way so far. It seems to be an equal mix of things I like the sound of and things that I really don't like the sound of at all.

User Info: kiricat2

kiricat2
7 years ago#30
If i were you I'd "utterly oppose" it.

haters are our biggest fans after all.
But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the mad man...
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Pronouncing the words Allah, Mohammed and Koran in a "Muslim way"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived