This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What is your resposne to each of these points?

User Info: NsM Comatosis

NsM Comatosis
8 years ago#11
You would think that this guy actually has a compelling argument based on the video comments. But, as with all religious fanatics, he's filtering all comments beforehand, letting through only the ones that agree with his nonsense.

How sad. And yep, as expected, rating the video has been disabled as well. It's pretty telling that none of these guys' videos welcome any sort of criticism.
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter

User Info: thaer_dude

thaer_dude
8 years ago#12
Here are my responses:

1. Cosmological argument.
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Cosmological_argument
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Kalam

2. Teleological argument
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Fine-tuning_argument

3. The usual "we have no objective basis for morality on atheism, but we do on Christian theism."

How is this an argument that pertains to the validity of the claim "God exists"?

Anyone who wants to respond must read the entirety of the articles first.

Am I doing it right?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first.. invent the universe" -Carl Sagan

User Info: OnceInALifeTime

OnceInALifeTime
8 years ago#13
Alright, his first contention is that "there is no reason why atheism is true". This is something I'd instantly pick up upon, as it shows a basic lack of knowledge what being an atheist is. Atheism is a lack of belief in a deity, it is making no strong statement on the existence of a deity. This is essentially him pushing the burden of proof onto the atheist, as he's saying "atheism isn't true, prove it". Prove what? If you're making the statement, ie god exists, then the weight is on your shoulders to prove that statement correct.

His second point is based entirely on the cosmological argument, and there are several main arguments against this:

1. Just because we lack knowledge of the first cause doesn't mean the Christian god exists,

2. What created god? Saying he is eternal is as unsatisfying an answer and unprovable. It's an argument from ignorance.

I'm stopping here because I've heard this line of argument before, and it's a weak argument that doesn't prove anything. All it should make any sceptic say in response is "god of the gaps".

I've sat in the chat room for an hour a week or so ago, and any questions I asked the guy on the mic (who was a firm believer in a global flood and young earth) were ignored. They were fairly simple questions, but he was happy to try to argue that the grand canyon was formed in hours and not millions of years.
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake

User Info: AllCityKing98

AllCityKing98
8 years ago#14
Can you list the points? Because I am not about to watch a 15 minute video of someone who I laugh at on the regs gloating.

Also I have a feeling Shock and I have very different definitions of what it means to "win."
I believe man made God out of ignorance and fear. If God made man then why the hell would he put us here?

OnceInALifeTime
8 years ago#15
How is this an argument that pertains to the validity of the claim "God exists"?

It's another circular logic exercise WLC churns out:

We have an objective morality.

That morality comes from a higher purpose.

Therefore god exists.
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS

thaer_dude
8 years ago#16
OnceInALifeTime posted...

It's another circular logic exercise WLC churns out:

We have an objective morality.

That morality comes from a higher purpose.

Therefore god exists.

Oh, rofl.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first.. invent the universe" -Carl Sagan

OnceInALifeTime
8 years ago#17
Really, you can try and emulate WLC all the want - he is easily one of the best debaters going at the minute. But that's just it, he's a great debater. His actual points are crap. He carries it off because of how good at making an argument he is rather than through actual intellectual merit.

To seriously any use of his arguments and then proclaim that you won is embarrassing, quite frankly.

User Info: AllCityKing98

AllCityKing98
8 years ago#18
So from what I understand the video contains two poor WLC arguments?

LOL you can say whatever you want about all that but the fact is you have no evidence for your god, and atheism is still the most logical take on religious claims.
I believe man made God out of ignorance and fear. If God made man then why the hell would he put us here?

thaer_dude
8 years ago#19
NsM Comatosis posted...
But, as with all religious fanatics, he's filtering all comments beforehand, letting through only the ones that agree with his nonsense.

Yeah, I posted PRAISE JESUS, THIS VIDEO IS AMAZING!!! and it made it through. xD

User Info: JamesB0ndOO7

JamesB0ndOO7
8 years ago#20
I'm not watching a 15 minute video.
There's no shame in being ashamed of yourself ~TheGeneralPublic
I love plenty of men. ~the hedonist
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What is your resposne to each of these points?
  • Topic Archived