This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Richard Dawkins v. Wendy Wright

User Info: arian487

arian487
8 years ago#21
I'd wager that it'd be nigh impossible to carry around all the evidence we have in favour of evolution. It'd be a ridiculously large book.

And I've done my research on the bible. I can't see how you can possibly try and argue against evolution when you haven't tried to learn it or understand it...

I'm not a teacher, I can only explain my personal understanding of it which is of course incomplete.
x - (x^3 / 3!) + (x^5 / 5!) - (x^7 / 7!) + ... = sinx
4(1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...) = PI

User Info: thaer_dude

thaer_dude
8 years ago#22
I haven't read the Greatest Show on Earth (Dawkins) but I think it's basically a compilation of the evidence for evolution.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first.. invent the universe" -Carl Sagan

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
8 years ago#23
arian487 posted...
I'd wager that it'd be nigh impossible to carry around all the evidence we have in favour of evolution. It'd be a ridiculously large book.

And I've done my research on the bible. I can't see how you can possibly try and argue against evolution when you haven't tried to learn it or understand it...

If you don't believe in God, you simply haven't learned and understood enough.

See? I can use that fallacy too.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

User Info: squareandrare

squareandrare
8 years ago#24

Then direct us to the reliable evidence. Meanwhile, you can check out the entire biology section of every major university in the world.

I know you've built up this grandiose tree of rationalizations for why there is absolutely no reason to believe in your religion, but you can't just keep denying that there is opposing evidence when you refuse to look at it.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

User Info: arian487

arian487
8 years ago#25
OrangeWizard posted...
arian487 posted...

Except the difference is you (or in this case Wendy) makes false claims about evolution. When this happens, it actually does mean you haven't learned enough. When have I made a false claim about your religion? I understand it very well, but I reject it. However, I've definitely seen you post false things (which are scientifically shown to be wrong) so thats when I see: "you don't understand it well enough".
x - (x^3 / 3!) + (x^5 / 5!) - (x^7 / 7!) + ... = sinx
4(1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...) = PI

OrangeWizard
8 years ago#26
squareandrare posted...

Then direct us to the reliable evidence. Meanwhile, you can check out the entire biology section of every major university in the world.

It's in the religion and history sections of every major university in the world.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""

User Info: black spider

black spider
8 years ago#27
OrangeWizard posted...
ledzepfan15 posted...

...because the evidence is IN books and museums. There's only so much you can carry or know before you can tell the other person to do their own damn research...and chances are if the person hasn't done their research by that time, they aren't interested in learning about it.

Then you can see the problem with convincing other people who aren't interested in spending hours reading books, journals, and investigating museums, that evolution is true, right?

Then those intellectually lazy and willfully ignorant dumbasses should shut the f*** up about science, evolution, and just about anything else that requires any kind of research. Don't want to study, don't pretend your opinion is any more relevant than that of a halfwit monkey on crack.

What such people are doing is no different from an angstheist commenting on the teachings of the Bible without ever having read it. It's mind-numbingly stupid and there's no dancing around that, though of course we both know you're going to try anyway, seeing as you haven't got the spine to stay honest. Truth doesn't matter to you one bit, does it? Only your mindless fanaticism, which I'm increasingly sure is just a horses*** act to piss off non-fanatic people.

OrangeWizard
8 years ago#28
black spider posted...

Then those intellectually lazy and willfully ignorant dumbasses should shut the f*** up about science, evolution, and just about anything else that requires any kind of research. Don't want to study, don't pretend your opinion is any more relevant than that of a halfwit monkey on crack.

Same goes for people who badmouth religion.

User Info: NsM Comatosis

NsM Comatosis
8 years ago#29
I'll use this from now on. Whenever someone questions my belief in God, or God, I'll just direct them to the library, museum, and nature, and then say if they don't want to spend the time doing it, to not attempt to argue against it.

Except you'll find fellow Christians who will disagree with you on several issues about your own religion. (aren't you a Jehovah's Witness? That alone makes you the laughingstock of several other Christian denominations). In other words, criticism levied at your religion isn't necessarily indicative of ignorance on the subject, whereas it's pretty easy to point out when someone is clearly wrong about evolution, or physics, or any other scientific field. Do these person's statements directly contradict the available evidence? Then that person is wrong.
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter

User Info: black spider

black spider
8 years ago#30
I'll use this from now on. Whenever someone questions my belief in God, or God, I'll just direct them to the library, museum, and nature, and then say if they don't want to spend the time doing it, to not attempt to argue against it.
Please do. We'll laugh you off since the burden of proof is on your ass to prove the intellectually bankrupt garbage you're trying to sell, which means I don't need to bring proof against you. I can simply reject outright, as if you were talking about flying spaghetti monsters or pink unicorns that can't be seen.

Being a hard atheist, I can do all kinds of funny appeals to emotion based on the existence of evil, whereas you, the JW, have to make all kinds of frankly rather silly assumptions to somehow present your overlord and slave master as a merciful, loving alfather rather than the tyrannical, egocentric pile of s*** he'd seem to be, if he was ever judged in human terms.

"No, God doesn't hate us all, even though he had your sister anally raped to death, your parents tortured to death, and you infected with HIV by one of the nasty, pale, fat bastard, to whom you had to rent your tight, ten-year-old bum in order to make living. He's just testing you, giving you a chance to show how strong your faith is and how much you love him!!!"

Yeah, I do wonder what has to be wrong with people who actually believe that sort of horsecrap strongly enough that they could say it to the face of an orphan child prostitute. And remember that I'm mentioning a rare scenario without even beginning on cancer, birth defects, harlequin babies, and of course the various forms of insanity.

Also, what, there's no book that contains a bunch of evidence for Evolution? You can't carry at least THAT around with you?
You can't count to bloody one and you've never had a science class in your life? What's next? You can't actually read too well either and simply guess what people are writing?

If you do believe in God, you've simply learned and understood a load of horsecrap.

Why would your unsupported bulls*** statement be any more true than my reverse-oriented bulls*** statement?

See? I could reverse your bulls*** claim outright because you didnt bother including any evidence. By the way, I'm kind of glad you're the kind of science-skeptic person who'd go to a priest to have your diseases cured instead of a doctor. Means there's more treatment for people who aren't ungrateful little buggers.

It's in the religion and history sections of every major university in the world.
Indeed. The world achieved nearly sod all for half a millennium when Christianity controlled Europe. Then the age of science began and things started developing. Then we refined science and used science to refine our tools, giving us peer reviews, instant global communication, super fast number crunching devices, massive access to information, and now things are happening super fast.

What can we learn from this? Yup, God's a god damn joke when used as a replacement for science. If you disagree then go join the Amish and bugger off my Internet.

QED. Well, for me, the hard atheist. You, the fanatic God-freak, might have a tiny little problem, but what the heck? It's only a case of you being flat-out contradicted by historical facts. That's never stopped you before, has it?
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Richard Dawkins v. Wendy Wright
  • Topic Archived