This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your beliefs and how did you get there?

User Info: Guide

Guide
8 years ago#51
I see what the last three posters did there.
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.

User Info: MasterGamer72

MasterGamer72
8 years ago#52
Right now I'm on my phone, so I can't reply to everything that I currently want to in his topic, but:

I see atheism as more of a declaration there is no god, one does not exist. Like a conscious belief that there is no god. i don't really see atheism as a simple lack of belief in a god. There is a difference. Hopefully I'm making sense.
Mhm.

User Info: OnceInALifeTime

OnceInALifeTime
8 years ago#53
I see atheism as more of a declaration there is no god, one does not exist. Like a conscious belief that there is no god. i don't really see atheism as a simple lack of belief in a god. There is a difference. Hopefully I'm making sense.

The difference is set out in the terms "weak" and "strong" atheist. A strong atheist is making the claim there are no gods, while a weak atheist isn't making a claim, or at least accepts that there is a possibility of a god existing (however small). A definition of "lack of belief" includes both of them quite well.
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake

User Info: Guide

Guide
8 years ago#54
That weak/strong thing is so bunk.

"Well I believe this, but I'm not actually claiming it."
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.

User Info: OnceInALifeTime

OnceInALifeTime
8 years ago#55
It's not a claim though, more a position. I would consider myself a weak atheist because I do not hold a belief in a deity, do not think it's likely, but understand that there is a possibility of a deity existing. Basically I'm a sceptic. I'm not making a claim or any statement beyond my own belief. I also don't agree with the statement "there definitely are no gods", as it's not demonstrably true.

So rather than it being "Well I believe this, but not actually claiming it", it's more "I don't believe it's true, where is your evidence?".
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake

User Info: zyzzvya01

zyzzvya01
8 years ago#56
I don't think there is a God. I don't think God exists in any way, shape or form. I believe in what can be proven, and what I can experience.

I don't need a supernatural crutch to enrich my life, I have friends, family and the pursuit of knowledge for that.

I don't care whether people choose to believe in a God, but I don't think their belief is in any way rational or respectable. I tend to ignore people's stance on a God and judge them for who they are as much as possible.

Ultimately I think religion of all kinds, but especially Christianity and Islam, has been a negative and violent force on earth far more often than it has been a force for good, and only very recently have religious groups in general become less openly hateful and aggressive.

User Info: NsM Comatosis

NsM Comatosis
8 years ago#57
Atheist

Born and raised in a predominantly Catholic country, and to quasi-religious parents (they "believe," but they don't really go to church or anything). Most of my K-12 education happened in Catholic and Protestant schools. A lot of the religion that was taught to me never really sat well with me, but I figured "hey, these guys are adults, so they must know what they're talking about." Once I realized adults can be idiots too and decided to research what I was being told instead of just believing it, I realized I have no interest whatsoever in religion.

I spent a few years calling myself an agnostic, but that was mainly due to the "what if I'm wrong?" factor. Further research led me to conclude I have no reason to assume I'm wrong, hence I'm now an atheist.
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter

User Info: the_hedonist

the_hedonist
8 years ago#58
I consider myself a non-denominational evangelical Christian. To be more specific, I am also charismatic and Calvinistic.

I grew up in a Baptist family (to the extent that even all 8 of my great-grandparents were Baptist; we are a very religious family - I remember growing up and going to church anytime there was anything happening there...usually about 3-4 times a week), and I have believed in the truth of the Bible in some form for as long as I can remember. I have had seasons of doubt and research and discovery, but I am more firmly planted in the faith than I ever have been. While my doctrinal positions have changed slightly over the years, it hasn't changed too much.
Everything that doesn't have to do with elephants is irrelephant.
~The Christian Hedonist~

User Info: gamesrgreat

gamesrgreat
8 years ago#59
Atheism

Used to be a Seventh-Day Adventist then I was sorta headed for non-denominational then I just went straight to atheism.
Cyclops has never beaten Wolverine
We Three Kings- The Miami Heat

User Info: PMarth2002

PMarth2002
8 years ago#60
Diranosaur posted...
Do you belong to a religion, is so, which? If not, what do you believe in?
What did you use to believe in? I would be very interested in hearing what you all have to say.

Atheist, have been my whole life.
I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise
They climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your beliefs and how did you get there?
  • Topic Archived