This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your beliefs and how did you get there?

User Info: squareandrare

squareandrare
8 years ago#41
I myself am some kind of pantheist, though I do not believe in anything supernatural. I believe that the universal belonging to nature could very well be explained by science. To me, the "soul" of the world is the atoms or subatomic particles, and I just find the concept amazing. I do not believe in any afterlife except that the atoms in your body keep on existing. Like a spiritual atheist, as I don't believe in a god. I do not reject the concept of a god, but I find it improbable.

Then be a man and call yourself an atheist...

Becoming an atheist for me was just a natural extension of figuring out that superstition and other types of wishful thinking were silly. I don't remember how old I was when I really decided there wasn't a god, but I couldn't have been over age 12.

My view on humanity is simple: we're a molecular accident of the physical laws of the universe. When our brains cease, we cease. The end.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
8 years ago#42
Raised in a Roman Catholic family. Baptized, confirmed, involved member of the church for most of my young life, and I did believe as well. Often prayed, sometimes felt I was answered.

In high school, it was required that we take a theology course every semester. Now this is a tricky bit to describe. What I came to realize is that the theology worked front to back, but not back to front. That is, if I started with God existing, and reasoned my way forward from there, it all worked to my satisfaction. What I couldn't do was start with the world we have today, apply the theology, and reason back to God existing in a way that held up to my personal standards for belief.

That made it a question of justifying my belief in God. I eventually found that I couldn't do that, and in fact couldn't really justify claiming that any gods at all existed. Not that this all happened in one go, it was gradual, partially subconscious, and over the course of many years. Since I still don't have an answer that I can really get behind as to whether or not any gods exist, I remain a weak atheist.
The problem, then, is that if subjective worlds are experienced too differently, there occurs a breakdown in communication. -- Philip K. Dick

User Info: OnceInALifeTime

OnceInALifeTime
8 years ago#43
So a tree would be an atheist? It may as well be a member of the postal workers union.

Technically it is, yes. Glad you understand now.
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS
"I like FosterTaken" - Darth Snake

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
8 years ago#44
Technically it is, yes. Glad you understand now.

I don't really see how a tree can form an opinion regarding the nature of existence, which atheists have done. If you're a human you have to do this you don't have much of a choice but a tree avoids the whole issue due to it's lack of a mind. Not any old mind will do it has to be fully self aware.

OnceInALifeTime
8 years ago#45
....the point is that at it's most inclusive definition atheism refers to a lack of a belief in deities. That includes kids. If you actually seriously believe I'm going to argue about trees...
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-396-1161708490.jpg :: sound advice from the NHS

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
8 years ago#46
A tree can't have a belief that it lacks a belief in any deities therefore it can't be an atheist. It's just a tree there's no point trying to give it a religious label. It's not going to be growing away in the soil thinking "Mmmm now that Richard Dawkin's God Delusion is a sound piece of hard logic."

User Info: xXxCroNoxXx

xXxCroNoxXx
8 years ago#47
.the point is that at it's most inclusive definition atheism refers to a lack of a belief in deities. That includes kids. If you actually seriously believe I'm going to argue about trees...

At its most inclusive definition "person" refers to multinational corporations. Retrotastic doesn't seem to like the most inclusive definition, so naturally, he's going to use a definition that seems more appropriate to him.

If you actually seriously believe I'm going to argue about trees...

Then I'd be seriously expecting you to defend the logical coherency of your argument.
(message deleted)

User Info: LeKingJames

LeKingJames
8 years ago#49
Indoctrinating by atheist parents as a young child. Eventually I broke through the brain washing and studied logic and reason and became an enlightened christian theist. I am no longer held down by the chains of secularism!
AKA LeRing James, LeGod James, LeBest James, LeChamp James, LeJordan James, LeClutch James, LeGend James, LeJames James, LeBeast James

OnceInALifeTime
8 years ago#50
I was taking the piss with the tree business.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your beliefs and how did you get there?
  • Topic Archived