This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your beliefs and how did you get there?

User Info: Diranosaur

Diranosaur
8 years ago#21
MasterGamer72 posted...
So are you a vegan? Or do you not prefer being labeled? I personally love meat too much to go as far as you, but definitely respect that you have the self discipline to pursue such a lifestyle.

Yes, I am a vegan :) it actually doesn't take too much self-discipline. It's easier than people think.

I'm perfectly ok with people eating meat though, as long as they don't use any false arguments for doing it ("the animals would overpopulate the earth if we stop eating them!" and stuff like that). I would prefer that people became vegetarians, but I also believe that people are free to do what they want as long as they don't harm other humans :)
My folk band - http://barfota.bandcamp.com/

User Info: spartan911

spartan911
8 years ago#22
Golden Maven posted...
I was raised a catholic, but I never believed it. As a young boy I did have a fascination with the theatricals of it all though, I enjoyed travelling and visiting churches.

Now I consider myself an ignostic/agnostic, that is to say that the word "God" points to a rather vague concept. Everyone will have their own idea, and debating it seems rather pointless. It's not like the word flower that points to something concrete we can all see and agree on its existence.

At the same time I'm not so militant against religion, because I think politics will always be the true evil behind it all. Religion is just used as a tool, and to go against it is missing the target..

Pretty much this, although my catholic upbringing was basically just being baptized for the sake of my grandparents and going to church like twice a year. My parents never pushed anything on me, nor show any signs of being very religious themselves.

I don't think I ever made a conscious choice to believe or not, I can't remember ever really believing in a god.
Looking at things now, I just find the concept unlikely and the whole organized religion thing too arbitrary, divided and self-assured, with a heavy scent of ulterior motives.

There could be a rational factor behind life and the universe, but it seems to me most of it plays by its own rules. Trying to find a reason behind everything can drive you mad.
In the end I don't think we'll ever know, and it doesn't have much effect on my life either way.

---

User Info: Dathrowed1

Dathrowed1
8 years ago#23
Diranosaur posted...
OrangeWizard posted...
Raised a JW

When I was 16 I earnestly looked into my own religion and made the decision to get baptized.

Am still a JW.

I don't blame any of you guys who looked into their own religion, then left, seeing as your religion is wrong.

Guess you have to hope in being one of the 144.000.

being one of the 144000 is something he's not worried about
sig

User Info: Retrotastic

Retrotastic
8 years ago#24
Make that 144.001 if he becomes a JW. At least there isn't an eternal torment for everyone in JW it's just the standard materialists death.

User Info: MasterGamer72

MasterGamer72
8 years ago#25
Diranosaur posted...
Yes, I am a vegan :) it actually doesn't take too much self-discipline. It's easier than people think.

I'm perfectly ok with people eating meat though, as long as they don't use any false arguments for doing it ("the animals would overpopulate the earth if we stop eating them!" and stuff like that). I would prefer that people became vegetarians, but I also believe that people are free to do what they want as long as they don't harm other humans :)

I might try it sometime. And haha no worries, I don't advocate eating meat in any way. I dislike people like that also. I eat meat because I want to and find it tasty. I have no wayward argument in favor of it. I like that you believe people are free to eat what they want. I've had vegans yell at me for eating meat before D:
Forget it. Let's just have secret butt fun instead.

User Info: FelixTrapper

FelixTrapper
8 years ago#26
I was born and raised a Mormon. During my college years I became less active without my parents around to coerce me into going. I noticed a drastic change in the quality of my life after that. I started studying the scriptures heavily and made the decision to go on an LDS mission. I paid for half of it while my parents paid the other. (just FYI it takes a good $10,000 minimum to pay for your mission)

While in Mexico I learned a great deal about the scriptures, different religions, and my own. I went to dozens of churches as a missionary--Catholic, Baptist, Born Again, Seventh Day Adventist--just to name a few. With each visit to a different church it only strengthened my own testimony.

I spent years reading the bible and book of mormon inside out, talking with average, everyday people, and a few bible bashers here and there as well. To this day I can still have someone tell me a bible book + chapter and I can tell you the summary. It was nice to spend 2 years completely enveloped in scripture and prayer.

I got married to my high school sweetheart and we have been married happily ever since. She waited for me while I was gone for 2 years and we wrote letters back and forth once a week.

I have gone through dark times but never dark enough to deny the witness I have received. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
Slowly recreating Final Fantasy 6 into 3D, one block at a time.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486

User Info: X__Japan

X__Japan
8 years ago#27
I was born and raised Mormon. I wanted the Church to be true, but I had this unfortunate curse: I loved learning. As I grew older and obtained more education, I began to realize why the Book of Mormon couldn't be true--even though I wanted it to be true and even tried to find ways to prove it. Studying history in college showed me a whole world of anachronisms littered throughout Mormon scriptures, and as much as I tried to ignore it or offer some excuse to justify it, the more errors I saw, the more direct, word-for-word plagiarisms and blatant 19th century references I saw in the BOM. Then brief studies in Archeology, linguistics, DNA, the real church history, the laughable "Book of Abraham" etc. just destroyed any hope I had in the validity of the Church.

But, at least for awhile, I still tried to be LDS. I convinced myself that Christianity is right and that God wouldn't care which church we attended so long as we believed in Jesus. After all, it seemed like a great place to raise a family and everyone seemed wholesome, caring and nice. I tried to pretend it was like a club and decided to continue living up to the standards of the church, remain in good standing, etc. But then I became more sensitive to the cult like behavior of the members, especially in concern to how the Church views the Prophet, tithing, the constant guilt trips, the push for "feelings" over reason and logic, the constant need to bare one's testimony over and over and over (especially as a rebuttal to anything "anti-mormon"), the "love bombing", the extreme hostility towards members who expressed doubt or left the church (many of whom were ostracized/exiled/completely cut off from their community, "friends", and even family), the belief that the only people who leave the church committed some major "sin" and /or weren't able to live up to standards, etc. I started to see the harm in the church, and so no longer could I pretend anymore.

So now, I don't know what to believe. When your whole world has been exposed as a lie it's hard to shake it off and believe in some other faith. I want to though--I'd prefer to have some faith in God, but it's hard. I really don't believe in divine providence so some days at best I'm deist, but other days I'm atheist, or think there's no way to know either way, and some days I just don't care. But at least my spouse and I are free :-)

EDIT: I just noticed the previous post above mine is pro-lds, and I just wanted to note that it wasn't my intention to follow his or appear like I'm challenging it.

User Info: Golden_Maven

Golden_Maven
8 years ago#28
spartan911 posted...
[...] I don't think I ever made a conscious choice to believe or not, I can't remember ever really believing in a god. [...]

Same here. As a child I wasn't rationalizing anything, the belief was simply not in my heart. Children tend to be more in tune with feelings than adults, so I probably picked up my lack of belief from my parents on an emotional level. I don't think they ever believed it themselves, it was just a cultural aspect of their upbringing that stuck with them.

I do feel rather extreme in my agnosticism, that is to say that I believe nobody knows. So in that sense we're all in the same boat and that gives me comfort.

Also I've always had an interest in eastern philosophy, and it does give me some peace of mind and helped me develop beliefs that keep me from a constant state of anxiety. While I don't agree with everything Buddhism teaches, it does reinforce my agnosticism. It also helps me center myself because I have this tendency to attack myself in my head and feel unworthy. Just releasing that tension and not letting my mind completely overtake me helps a great deal. It is true that a lot of problems start in the mind.

One more thing, I see death as this great "reset" button. No matter what happens in life, the one thing that brings us together is death. Nobody is better off in the great scheme of things, and from that perspective it is easy not to take life so seriously and have fun. After all, going off what we believe about the age of the earth or even the Universe itself, a human life is like the blink of an eye. We just experience it very slowly and that gives us the idea that it matters.
Watch out for Michelle, Jessica. Oh yes.
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/378/easynow.jpg

User Info: Nbsno4

Nbsno4
8 years ago#29
Born Jewish

Still Jewish

although I'm agnostic about the existence of God though
I'm not using Firefox a the moment, kill me.
http://failurecasca.de/wp-content/uploads/awesome_med.png

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
8 years ago#30
Diranosaur posted...

Guess you have to hope in being one of the 144.000.

No I don't.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your beliefs and how did you get there?
  • Topic Archived