This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why Satan isn't evil...

User Info: sextronbot

sextronbot
8 years ago#41

How do you even have the nerve to badmouth something that you don't understand? Doesn't this bother your integrity at all?

You know what should really bother someone's integrity? Claiming that someone doesn't understand something without bothering to explain it any better. Just seems like a cop-out more than anything.

You're really just making this up, and you know that. Your conclusion has no biblical basis.

I've already given my biblical basic. God punishes people for sins they don't commit, and in the OT he has some of the most obscenely grotesque laws, such as that it's okay to sell your daughter into slavery among others.
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009 :'(

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
8 years ago#42
such as that it's okay to sell your daughter into slavery among others.
That's disingenuous. He could collect money to have her betrothed, which was no different from regular practice elsewhere in the world.

No, I stand corrected; elsewhere the wife was considered such a burden they had to pay the groom dowry.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
8 years ago#43
sextronbot posted...

You know what should really bother someone's integrity? Claiming that someone doesn't understand something without bothering to explain it any better. Just seems like a cop-out more than anything.

You can call it a cop-out, if you want. You can also call it a cop-out when your teacher refuses to do your tests or homework for you.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I've already given my biblical basic. God punishes people for sins they don't commit, and in the OT he has some of the most obscenely grotesque laws, such as that it's okay to sell your daughter into slavery among others.

The term is "basis", and no God doesn't punish people for sins they didn't commit. And there's nothing obscenely grotesque about it, providing you have an elementary knowledge of the historical context at the time, which you clearly don't.

And I guess you DO like being humiliated.
Do you also go up to physics professors and challenge their theories? Just curious.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

User Info: sextronbot

sextronbot
8 years ago#44

You can call it a cop-out, if you want. You can also call it a cop-out when your teacher refuses to do your tests or homework for you.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

How am I supposed to do my homework or take my test when my teacher hasn't even taught me anything yet?

The term is "basis", and no God doesn't punish people for sins they didn't commit. And there's nothing obscenely grotesque about it, providing you have an elementary knowledge of the historical context at the time, which you clearly don't.

If it was written by God, what difference does the time it was written make?

Do you also go up to physics professors and challenge their theories? Just curious.

No, I don't challenge theories that have basis in fact. The Bible on the other hand...
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009 :'(

User Info: ledzepfan15

ledzepfan15
8 years ago#45
How do you even have the nerve to badmouth something that you don't understand? Doesn't this bother your integrity at all?

Don't you ever think "Hmm, I should really make sure that I know what I'm talking about before I attempt to argue against people who are practically experts in this subject."

Oh this is juicy.
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro

User Info: ledzepfan15

ledzepfan15
8 years ago#46
That's disingenuous. He could collect money to have her betrothed, which was no different from regular practice elsewhere in the world.

No, I stand corrected; elsewhere the wife was considered such a burden they had to pay the groom dowry.

What about stoning unruly children?
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro

OrangeWizard
8 years ago#47
sextronbot posted...

How am I supposed to do my homework or take my test when my teacher hasn't even taught me anything yet?

This is a DIY class. You are given all the resources necessary to learn, and a forum to voice ideas, as well as a professor that can answer any questions and guide discussions. You can test out of it when you can answer this question correctly: "Who tormented Job, and why?"

This is not uncommon. In fact, taking that a step further would be a Road Scholar, which was what Thomas Jefferson was. He was told "Go learn about X for three years, then come back and write a dissertation, then we'll give you your degree. The library is over there"

The professor has told you what to read. Either read it for fail the class.

If it was written by God, what difference does the time it was written make?

It matters a great deal, especially when God also said "Ok, you can stop following these laws now. Follow these instead"

But you'd have no way of knowing that, seeing as the closest you've ever gotten to a bible was when you opened, and subsequently closed that one drawer in any given hotel.

And especially when Slavery was the thing that actually changed. Israelite slavery was a lot different than American slavery.

But you'd have no way of knowing that, because history is also a weak point for you as well.

ledzepfan15 posted...

What about stoning unruly children?

Actually, if you'd read the passage, the "children" were quite old, perhaps in their late teens, because they were described as "gluttons and given to a lot of wine", not a 4 year old that throws a tantrum. As if stoning would be a efficient deterrent to someone who has no concept of death.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""

mercuryink
8 years ago#48
Yeas, I'm sorry, I'm not arguing with you over "things I heard about, but didn't actually read, in the Bible." Mostly because I don't dignify other rumors about the Jews, so why should I with these?

OrangeWizard
8 years ago#49
mercuryink posted...
Yeas, I'm sorry, I'm not arguing with you over "things I heard about, but didn't actually read, in the Bible." Mostly because I don't dignify other rumors about the Jews, so why should I with these?

Who are you addressing? Because you've already posted in this topic.

mercuryink
8 years ago#50
Sextronbot, and zep and whoever else you might argue this crap with, once it became abundantly clear that, as you pointed out, they don't actually know what the hell they're talking about, but are arguing over crap they heard is allegedly in the Bible... if you take three translated words out of context.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why Satan isn't evil...
  • Topic Archived