This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why Satan isn't evil...

User Info: Jigglysaint

Jigglysaint
8 years ago#31
"It's nowhere in the Bible. The story of Satan's rebellion is a later invention from the Middle Ages. I think you might know less about the Bible than you think you do."

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the Bible. Somewhere in the back I think.

User Info: sextronbot

sextronbot
8 years ago#32

Read the first part of the book of Job, before the poems start, then come back to me and tell me Satan is "more moral".

God is the one who destroyed everything that belonged to Job including his family...

Satan actively tried to deceive Eve into eating the fruit.

Because he wanted them to join him in hell instead of being with a psychotic freak like God forever?
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009 :'(

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
8 years ago#33
sextronbot posted...

God is the one who destroyed everything that belonged to Job including his family...

You didn't actually read the book of Job, evidently.

Because he wanted them to join him in hell instead of being with a psychotic freak like God forever?

No, because A) Hell wouldn't have existed yet, and B) Because he wanted them to worship anyone but God
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
8 years ago#34
Even if you guys want to use the problem of evil argument to try and demonstrate God is bad, it doesnt follow that Satan is good as a result. A look at third world politics demonstrates that bad people can be opposed by bad people all the time: This isnt the case of an oppressed righteous little guy opposing the big evil dictator, even if your interpretation holds true. At the worst, its a tyrannical second in command trying to take out a tyrant so HE can be king. And if you want to say "assuming the Biblical account is correct", well heck, if we dont assume that I dont know how we could draw any conclusions about it unless you also want to add "assuming whichever unbased fantasy we want to adopt for the sake of fueling our angst is also correct"
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
8 years ago#35
p.s. hi from camp :D
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
8 years ago#36
In Judaism, Satan is the loyal servant of G-d, somewhat convinced that humans aren't good enough for Him. We never had that fall or anything. No rebellion.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: sextronbot

sextronbot
8 years ago#37

I'm just going by what I know about the story. Complicate it for me.

Because he wanted them to worship anyone but God

Because he knew that God was a psychotic freak...
RIP Butters_1188 2005-2009 :'(

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
8 years ago#38
sextronbot posted...
I'm just going by what I know about the story. Complicate it for me.

No. Either open a bible, and read the book of Job for yourself, and then you can stop pretending you know everything about a story you've never read.

How do you even have the nerve to badmouth something that you don't understand? Doesn't this bother your integrity at all?

Don't you ever think "Hmm, I should really make sure that I know what I'm talking about before I attempt to argue against people who are practically experts in this subject."

sextronbot posted...

Because he wanted them to worship anyone but God
Because he knew that God was a psychotic freak...

You're really just making this up, and you know that. Your conclusion has no biblical basis.

This topic is really just a big "WHAT IF?" scenario, where you throw out all the parts where God is presented, and proven, to be good, fair, and just, and where Satan is shown to be cruel, tortuous, and evil, and then proceed to pull conclusions out of thin air.

I suggest that you refrain from posting until you have a good understanding of the kind of discussions are held on this board, unless you like being humiliated.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

User Info: actarus

actarus
8 years ago#39
mercuryink posted...
In Judiasm, Satan is the loyal servant of G-d, somewhat convinced that humans aren't good enough for Him. We never had that fall or anything. No rebellion.

And the "loyal servant" is responsible for the "problem of Evil"?

What is follow Judaism the origin of demons?

In Christianity is he the Lord of the fallen angels (demons)
Luke 11:18
If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because ye say that I cast out devils through Beelzebub.

Revelation 12:9
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=Satan&version1=9&searchtype=all&limit=none&wholewordsonly=no
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
8 years ago#40
And the "loyal servant" is responsible for the "problem of Evil"?

No. G-d accepts responsibility in the Bible for everything in existence, good and bad.
What is follow Judaism the origin of demons?

English, por favor.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why Satan isn't evil...
  • Topic Archived