This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...

User Info: sthater

sthater
8 years ago#91

Fascinating. Pain and suffering existed prior to beings with the ability to feel pain. I guess you know science about as well as you know religion

You forget about all the stuff that wasn't pain and suffering. I thought ignorance would be bliss. Apparently not.

Well you keep pitching them and he keeps missing them. He needs to keep his eye on the ball... eyeball! Almost had a gag there, joke that is.
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666

User Info: squareandrare

squareandrare
8 years ago#92
So now your objection is over the point in evolutionary history where beings first started feeling "pain" as we know it?

Do you even believe in theistic evolution? Believing in theism and believing in evolution does not necessarily make you a theistic evolutionist.

Here's the first paragraph of "theistic evolution" on wikipedia:
Theistic evolution or evolutionary creation is a concept that asserts that classical religious teachings about God are compatible with the modern scientific understanding about biological evolution. In short, theistic evolutionists believe that there is a God, that God is the creator of the material universe and (by consequence) all life within, and that biological evolution is simply a natural process within that creation. Evolution, according to this view, is simply a tool that God employed to develop human life.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman
(message deleted)

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
8 years ago#94
So now your objection is over the point in evolutionary history where beings first started feeling "pain" as we know it?

My objection is over the fact that you have, over the last few years, shown yourself to know what the hell you're talking about roughly as often as I crapped this Passover. Which, on a diet of flour and eggs, was rarely.
You always talk a big game about science, then show you know jack about it, usually on the subject of bio, where my "as a Jew, someone is going to expect you to become a doctor, so might as well take a couple semesters of bio just to shut them up" education seems to take me a hell of a lot further than your superior mind. You're like the bible thumpers that can't even name the ten commandments.

I hold that is was a tool to create life. I highly doubt my one removal of one word really changes all that much.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

squareandrare
8 years ago#95
My objection is over the fact that you have, over the last few years, shown yourself to know what the hell you're talking about roughly as often as I crapped this Passover. Which, on a diet of flour and eggs, was rarely.

And you thought you were morally compelled to practice a meaningless ritual celebrating an event that never happened?

Mercury, you don't like me because I've rejected religion and remained consistent in my belief that it is irrational and stupid. That's all you have against me, so don't start pretending I don't understand science, and that's the reason you don't like me.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

squareandrare
8 years ago#96
I highly doubt my one removal of one word really changes all that much.

So do I now get to berate you over your inability to understand premises and arguments?
-- Leon Lederman

mercuryink
8 years ago#97
Mercury, you don't like me because I've rejected religion and remained consistent in my belief that it is irrational and stupid
No, I don't like you because you're a pompous schmuck about it who attempts to use science you don't even comprehend to fail to make your arguments, and misrepresent history and the beliefs of the people you allege to oppose without bothering to know what the hell the truth is, then say that religion is the cause of such ignorance. Anybody can convince someone to oppose something if they lie about what it is. The Christian right does so daily. The Nazis and Bolsheviks made an empire of it. Aren't you special?

There's plenty of atheists on here who disagree with me as much as you do, if not moreso, and manage to do so with both intelligence and dignity. The fact that you think that a label is why--in spite of us already having this very conversation-- I don't like you is telling enough about your own bigotry. And the fact that you lie to yourself in spite of evidence--or at least testimony-- to the contrary. You know, EXACTLY like those people who have the Flinstones-y museum.

So do I now get to berate you over your inability to understand premises and arguments?

Only when you can demonstrate it.

mercuryink
8 years ago#98
And you thought you were morally compelled to practice a meaningless ritual celebrating an event that never happened?

Meaningless. If Passover is meaningless, then all holidays are meaningless.
Oh, wait, you're just so profoundly ignorant that this actually makes sense to you. How quaint.

squareandrare
8 years ago#99
misrepresent history and the beliefs of the people you allege to oppose without bothering to know what the hell the truth is

lol. That is exactly what you've done in this topic. I was talking about the definition of theist evolution that people actually believe. You waltzed in here arguing against something I never said.

Anybody can convince someone to oppose something if they lie about what it is.

You're the one misrepresenting "theistic evolution" here, not me.

manage to do so with both intelligence and dignity.

I'm sure you're used to get artificial respect, even from atheists. But I simply don't pretend that the religious mindset is anything other than stupid. That is what you don't like about me.

Only when you can demonstrate it.

You don't know the accepted definition of "theistic evolution," which was one of the basic premises of my argument. There, I demonstrated it.
-- Leon Lederman

squareandrare
8 years ago#100
Meaningless. If Passover is meaningless, then all holidays are meaningless.

All holidays to celebrate something completely made-up. There are actual veterans to be celebrated for Veteran's Day, for example.
-- Leon Lederman
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...
  • Topic Archived