This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
8 years ago#81
IIIRC in Judaism they basically view God as being the source of everything good and bad
You recall well, though I know not what that third 'I' is for. You must be Jamaican.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: sthater

sthater
8 years ago#82

IIIRC in Judaism they basically view God as being the source of everything good and bad
You recall well, though I know not what that third 'I' is for. You must be Jamaican.

Haha I guess that would be kind of interesting if I was but I'm not.
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666

mercuryink
8 years ago#83
If I and I recall correctly.

User Info: squareandrare

squareandrare
8 years ago#84
For all we know, we were put here solely as the instrument that would one day create the housecat.

Ok. Then my argument doesn't apply to the small, small minority of Western theists who don't believe that modern humans are the chosen species. You know, I really thought I covered these petty objections with the phrase "from the perspective of the major religions." When I'm talking about the dominant belief of an entire section of the earth, how damn specific do I need to be? Should I put in some qualifier so that pantheists and deists don't get mad? Is it not clear that the argument only applies to the people who meet the premises (in this case, there are literally millions... maybe close to a billion people who it applies to)?

Also, as I’m sure you know, popular thought =/=correct thought.

And? I'm arguing against the most popular thought. I'm only attempting to apply it to that interpretation (which again, is by far the most common interpretation).

I realize that you think you're important and deserve to have your specific beliefs acknowledged in every topic arguing something bad about religion, but don't try to wedge yourself into an argument that doesn't apply to you. If you don't think god is benevolent, you're in such the vast minority that I don't need to customize any arguments for you.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

mercuryink
8 years ago#85
When the topic began, or at least when I entered it, it wasn't about omnibenevolence. It was about the fact that you believed that no notion of morality could be taken from a being that would allow evolution. There's a world a difference. I'm sorry that you need to resort to such a crappy strawman in order to justify your crappy arguments.

User Info: sthater

sthater
8 years ago#86

If I and I recall correctly.

I say, don't you know, I say, don't you know I'm Foghorn Leghorn? It's a joke, I say, laugh son!
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666

squareandrare
8 years ago#87
When the topic began, or at least when I entered it, it wasn't about omnibenevolence. It was about the fact that you believed that no notion of morality could be taken from a being that would allow evolution. There's a world a difference. I'm sorry that you need to resort to such a crappy strawman in order to justify your crappy arguments.

My argument was that the driving forces of evolution weren't compatible with the concept of god that nearly every damn theist holds. Did I seriously need to specify the premise that god is benevolent to placate such a tiny number of you?
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

mercuryink
8 years ago#88
My argument was that the driving forces of evolution weren't compatible with the concept of god that nearly every damn theist holds. Did I seriously need to specify the premise that god is benevolent to placate such a tiny number of you?

And as I pointed out, somehow, humanity turned benevolence into one of the strongest things going for us, evolutionarily speaking. Check.

squareandrare
8 years ago#89
And humanity couldn't have been benevolent without billions of years of suffering and torture?
-- Leon Lederman

mercuryink
8 years ago#90
Fascinating. Pain and suffering existed prior to beings with the ability to feel pain. I guess you know science about as well as you know religion

You forget about all the stuff that wasn't pain and suffering. I thought ignorance would be bliss. Apparently not.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...
  • Topic Archived