This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...

User Info: ledzepfan15

ledzepfan15
8 years ago#71
Like the one that gave us the brains we use to make medicine?

Can you prove that it was a god that gave us brains?
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro

User Info: squareandrare

squareandrare
8 years ago#72
Like the one that gave us the brains we use to make medicine?

A medicine that goes back in time to cure the already dead?

Imago dei is not the same concept as the Greek gods resembling archetypes of the human ideal.

...I know. But it does imply that he had the current state of humanity in mind as his chosen species.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
8 years ago#73
A medicine that goes back in time to cure the already dead?
We call that the messianic age.

...I know. But it does imply that he had the current state of humanity in mind as his chosen species.

Even assuming your interpretation is correct, which, given the pretenses under which that interpretation was made (I'll pick an interpretation I can easily criticize) it probably isn't...
And my keyboard is my chosen keyboard. What makes it special?
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: NsM Comatosis

NsM Comatosis
8 years ago#74
And my keyboard is my chosen keyboard. What makes it special?

Well, you chose it, so you would know why you chose it over any other keyboard. But, if it isn't the case that you consider it special in any way, it would be pretty weird if you insisted on calling it "my chosen keyboard."

What's the point of any group of people being "the chosen ones" if it doesn't mean anything? And I'm not trying to instigate anything, given the way our conversations usually unfold; I'm really just asking.
Pun is top 10 of all time. You can tell he ate a lot of mc's. -- Moogle Hunter

mercuryink
8 years ago#75
That's what I'm asking. The Jews were chosen to carry a specific message. In Fallout 2, the Chosen One is charged with finding a MacGuffin. My keyboard was chosen because it's not noisy when I type at all hours of the evening, and was in the box the worker in the warehouse reached for when picking my order. That said, I'm not the one who proclaimed homo sapiens chosen. So I have no idea what they were chosen for. I merely pointed out that most of us can reason at a level far above that of other known species.

squareandrare
8 years ago#76
given the pretenses under which that interpretation was made (I'll pick an interpretation I can easily criticize)

I picked the interpretation that is by far the most common belief among Western theists.

Ask yourself what "theistic evolution" is. For nearly everyone, it means that god guided evolution towards modern man.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

User Info: sthater

sthater
8 years ago#77

From: squareandrare | Posted: 5/26/2011 3:55:39 PM | #069
If only there were a loving god who could have seen this coming and planned for it.... oh well.

This is more a problem with the idea of God being a beloved, kind sky daddy then a problem for theistic evolution. In fact really given the way God did things in the old testament I don't see how theistic evolution is that strange at all. A means to an end much like a lot of other stuff.
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666

squareandrare
8 years ago#78
This is more a problem with the idea of God being a beloved, kind sky daddy then a problem for theistic evolution. In fact really given the way God did things in the old testament I don't see how theistic evolution is that strange at all. A means to an end much like a lot of other stuff.

If they'll stop claiming their god is benevolent, I won't make this argument. If they openly admit that their god is evil and sadistic, then they can reconcile theistic evolution.
-- Leon Lederman

User Info: sthater

sthater
8 years ago#79

From: squareandrare | Posted: 5/28/2011 5:47:04 AM | #078

If they'll stop claiming their god is benevolent, I won't make this argument. If they openly admit that their god is evil and sadistic, then they can reconcile theistic evolution.

IIIRC in Judaism they basically view God as being the source of everything good and bad. Or at least that's how TFB and bsballa and mercuryink seemed to make it seem like. So if you look at it that way and just look at the old testament theistic evolution seems to fit in pretty well with just about any other violent act God did.
Like my loafers? Former gophers -It was that or skin my chauffeurs,
Part of the presidential triumvirate of board 666

mercuryink
8 years ago#80
Ask yourself what "theistic evolution" is. For nearly everyone, it means that god guided evolution towards modern man.

And then evolution stopped completely, didn’t it? It's quite plain that once humanity was achieved, we didn't need any more evolution, because we're chosen. For all we know, we were put here solely as the instrument that would one day create the housecat. Also, as I’m sure you know, popular thought =/=correct thought.

I don’t think I should be defending people I already said I didn’t support, do you? Of course you don’t, but since you’re too proud to actually read, you wouldn’t know what I believe. Or maybe you aren’t proud, and have actually reached your zenith of knowledge and intellect and thus nothing else can fit.
Lastly, since you’re both prone to extremes of thought and are too smart to read what anybody puts in front of you. I don’t think a being that acknowledges responsibility for all that is good and all that is evil could either be considered omnibenevolent or omnimalevolent. Then again your response will be targeted, not at me, but at five schools of thought in pastiche lumped under a label of “religion”.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...
  • Topic Archived