This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...

User Info: squareandrare

squareandrare
8 years ago#41
I have to say, it's quite refreshing to hear someone own up to having made a bad argument. It doesn't happen often, and I'm happy to see people willing to consider and learn.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

User Info: hunter_gohan

hunter_gohan
8 years ago#42
squareandrare posted...
I have to say, it's quite refreshing to hear someone own up to having made a bad argument. It doesn't happen often, and I'm happy to see people willing to consider and learn.

Learning is the main reason I read and participate in debates like EvC. :)

User Info: gamesrgreat

gamesrgreat
8 years ago#43

Which is why I said "from the perspective of the major religions."

Well I think it could work for some of them
Cyclops has never beaten Wolverine
We Three Kings- The Miami Heat

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
8 years ago#44
way to dance around this issue. That doesn't even begin to answer the question of why an omnipotent god would choose a process of such immeasurable cruelty.
Why is it cruel that things should die? All I ever hear about is how miserably depressing eternity sounds.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: Guide

Guide
8 years ago#45
I didn't mean members of the same species physically killing the weak members of their species

In wild horses, if a newborn foal is too weak, the herd leader will kill it.

So majestic, those horses.

Why is it cruel that things should die?

Some beings come into this world without a chance at survival. Seems cruel to me, but there's no objective standard for cruelty I guess.
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win. -- Robert Heinlein
'Would have', not 'would of'.

User Info: squareandrare

squareandrare
8 years ago#46
Why is it cruel that things should die? All I ever hear about is how miserably depressing eternity sounds.

It isn't "death" that's cruel; it's the structure of the system and the way it exploits pain.

Natural selection brought about the feelings of pain and suffering. The system is designed to make death as unpleasant as possible so that living things will avoid it as best they can. But the system still requires that the weak be killed off.
"Physics is not a religion. If it were, we'd have a much easier time raising money."
-- Leon Lederman

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
8 years ago#47
Square, I think we mortal beings tend to really underestimate the relevance of living or dying by a decade more or less. In the eyes of an infinite being, is there any time difference between someone who dies at infancy and the oldest man in the world? Between a gazelle that grows old and a gazelle that gets eaten by lions? Anything finite in the eyes of the infinite is infinitely small. I think we overestimate the relevance of death because we cant see the after and because we have not lived an infinite amount of time against which to measure the loss. Losing 20 years out of 80 years is a big deal: losing 20 years out of infinite years is 100% irrelevant.

Furthermore, I like the way the world is structured, I like ecosystems, and I like evolution, and I like the machine structure God chose to give the world. I can see why God likes it this way, because it does have a beauty about it that it would not have if things were otherwise.
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
8 years ago#48
You don't like death because it's unpleasant, because higher beings have things encoded into them to... help them prevent death?
Fascinating.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: gamesrgreat

gamesrgreat
8 years ago#49

Square, I think we mortal beings tend to really underestimate the relevance of living or dying by a decade more or less. In the eyes of an infinite being, is there any time difference between someone who dies at infancy and the oldest man in the world? Between a gazelle that grows old and a gazelle that gets eaten by lions? Anything finite in the eyes of the infinite is infinitely small. I think we overestimate the relevance of death because we cant see the after and because we have not lived an infinite amount of time against which to measure the loss. Losing 20 years out of 80 years is a big deal: losing 20 years out of infinite years is 100% irrelevant.

And with this you trivialize all of human suffering
Cyclops has never beaten Wolverine
We Three Kings- The Miami Heat

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
8 years ago#50
And with this you trivialize all of human suffering

Not human suffering, only the human lifespan.
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...
  • Topic Archived