This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...

User Info: FelixTrapper

FelixTrapper
8 years ago#11
Apparently creationism is taken seriously if atheism (including the irreligious, humanists, agnostics, etc.) account for only 1.1 billion people, with the other 5.8 or so billion being religious, and the vast majority of those religions believe in a creator.

So I'm not quite sure the topic title was worded appropriately. It seems to suggest an inverse of the reality of the situation.
"Uwee hee hee! Don't tease the octopus, kids!" -Ultros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-FYl0W8v8 - Baron Castle in 3D (FF4)

User Info: Bard of DorAr

Bard of DorAr
8 years ago#12
Are you making that statement more as a joke? Or do you think that that majority of religious people actually believe the specifics of the creationist belief?

Do many of us believe a deity of some sort began creation? Sure, a majority of us probably do.

Now the rub comes. Do I believe that said deity made the world according to a specific faith's view point in a few days and the earth is incredibly young? Nope.

Do I believe that maybe something put the universe in motion and stepped back? Sure.
Maphai: "I disagree. Bard is the best. Bard wins in almost any game"
ScreamerA440: "Bard rules hard, you're just afraid to admit it."

FelixTrapper
8 years ago#13
Bard of DorAr posted...

Now the rub comes. Do I believe that said deity made the world according to a specific faith's view point in a few days and the earth is incredibly young? Nope..

Let me help you out here.

Creationism: the religious belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe are the creation of a supernatural being.

within that broad definition you will find many subcategories, one of which you mentioned so flippantly is Young Earth Creationism.

I believe the topic title addressed Creationism, which by definition would be forced to consider Young Earth creationism, Old Earth creationism, Gap creationism, Day-Age creationism, Progressive creationism and of course, Intelligent design.

User Info: Adito99

Adito99
8 years ago#14
Creationism : science :: Olive Garden : real Italian cooking

I've been scooped!

Was there a purpose to it other than attempting to start a fight?

I regularly post substantive topics that turn into dumb fights based on misunderstandings. Thought I'd go for something lighter this time.

that's not really a valid analogy. And that's not based on opinion, but on being an English major

Eh, the analogy was meant to reference false and true maps of reality but in retrospect I see that wasn't very clear.

Do I believe that maybe something put the universe in motion and stepped back? Sure.

We're only obligated to take that seriously if you can point out the difference between a world kick started but ignored by a god and a world that began without a God.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2561/goodvsevil.jpg

User Info: mercuryink

mercuryink
8 years ago#15
I've been scooped!

Yeah, EM won this topic.
Some people are proof that G-d exists; evolution would have prevented them.
New Jersey Devils -- Stanley Cup Champions -- 1995-2000-2003

User Info: TheLesserFaithX

TheLesserFaithX
8 years ago#16
Apparently creationism is taken seriously if atheism (including the irreligious, humanists, agnostics, etc.) account for only 1.1 billion people, with the other 5.8 or so billion being religious, and the vast majority of those religions believe in a creator.

http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/popular.html

The overwhelming majority of reputable scientists don't take Creationism seriously. Sorry.
Evolution is a scientific fact with tons of conclusive evidence.
Here is a shortened link to a Google Doc that compiles said evidence: http://goo.gl/hWwzO

User Info: OzymandiasIV

OzymandiasIV
8 years ago#17
giantdonkeykongteam posted...
Let me help you out here.

Creationism: the religious belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe are the creation of a supernatural being.

within that broad definition you will find many subcategories

Let me stop you right there and continue the definition provided by Wikipedia, which you cut short:

As science developed from the 18th century onwards, various views developed which aimed to reconcile science with the Genesis creation narrative.[2] At this time those holding that species had been separately created were generally called "advocates of creation" but they were occasionally called "creationists" in private correspondence between Charles Darwin and his friends. As the creation–evolution controversy developed, the term "anti-evolutionists" became more common, then in 1929 in the United States the term "creationism" first became specifically associated with Christian fundamentalist opposition to human evolution and belief in a young Earth, though its usage was contested by other groups, such as old earth creationists and evolutionary creationists, who believed in various concepts of creation.

It's clear what he meant by saying creationism, especially if you're familiar with this board, its users, and what it typically meant here, as well, when people say creationism.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

User Info: hunter_gohan

hunter_gohan
8 years ago#18
"Creationism: the religious belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe are the creation of a supernatural being.

within that broad definition you will find many subcategories, one of which you mentioned so flippantly is Young Earth Creationism."

I have never seen such a wide definition of Creationism before. The wiki page actually lists theistic evolution. When most people say Creationism there are referring to the beliefs that stem from a "literal" reading of Genesis, those that are "competing" with the Theory of Evolution. As a Christian evolutionary biologist from another board I read would say "You're confusing Creationism with the Creation." Creationism is a few related specific doctrines on how god created, not whether or not he did create.

As to the topic, Thunderf00t's Why do people laugh at Creationists would fit right in. It is a damned good series:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t#p/c/AC3481305829426D/0/BS5vid4GkEY

FelixTrapper
8 years ago#19
TheLesserFaithX posted...

The overwhelming majority of reputable scientists don't take Creationism seriously. Sorry.

I never argued against that. The lack of a specific subject in the topic title suggests that the phrase applies in a general sense. I simply stated that there are far more people who generally believe someone created the universe than those that don't, so it is taken seriously.

User Info: Bard of DorAr

Bard of DorAr
8 years ago#20
And I'll just take what others said a step further and go with the good old dictionary.

Creationism –noun
1. the doctrine that matter and all things were created, substantially as they now exist, by an omnipotent Creator, and not gradually evolved or developed.
2. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) the doctrine that the true story of the creation of the universe is as it is recounted in the Bible, especially in the first chapter of Genesis.

So by the primary definition, the fact that many who believe in a creator of some sort also believe in evolution; either because said creator left the world to grow as it will, or because it specifically set up the world to evolve, or whichever other belief you go with; invalidates us from being labled as "Creationists"

The secondary definition is as others have said, specifically correlating with the Abrahamic creation myths.
Maphai: "I disagree. Bard is the best. Bard wins in almost any game"
ScreamerA440: "Bard rules hard, you're just afraid to admit it."
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. If anyone still wonders why creationism is not taken seriously...
  • Topic Archived