• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Senate rejects bipartisan bid to stop $650M Saudi arms sale
TheFuzz3451 1 month ago#1
https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-saudi-arabia-middle-east-rand-paul-yemen-1440cc97a0304f20ca080062a24ca001

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate on Tuesday rejected a bid from a bipartisan group of lawmakers to stop President Joe Biden’s administration from selling more than $650 million worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia, allowing the deal to proceed despite the gulf nation’s dismal record on human rights.

A procedural motion by Sen. Rand Paul, a Kentucky Republican, was rejected on a 30-67 vote, in just the latest skirmish in Congress over U.S. sales of weapons to the country.

Saudi Arabia is one of the U.S.’s most steadfast allies in an unstable region of the globe. But the country’s leading role in a civil war in nearby Yemen, which has blocked the flow of basic necessities like fuel, food and medicine, as well as the role Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman played in the assassination of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi has tested the strength of that bond.

“We could stop this war if we really had the will to do it,” Paul said on the Senate floor. “All of America should be appalled at the humanitarian disaster caused by the Saudi blockade of Yemen.”

Among those joining Paul in seeking to stop the arms sale were Sens. Mike Lee, a Utah Republican, as well as liberals like Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Patty Murray of Washington.
“The United States must do everything in our power to bring this brutal and horrific war to an end,” Sanders said from the Senate floor. “Exporting more missiles to Saudi Arabia does nothing but further this conflict and pour more gasoline on already raging fire.”

This isn’t the first time a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers has tried to block the sale of arms to Saudi Arabia. Congress repeatedly tried to stop former Donald Trump from selling billions worth of arms to the country — forcing the then-president to issue a handful of vetoes.

Biden himself pledged on the campaign trail in November 2019 to make the Saudis “pariahs” while vowing that he was “not going to, in fact, sell more weapons to them.”

But since his election in 2020, Biden has take a different tack.

In a statement, the administration decried efforts to block the sale, arguing such action would “undermine the President’s commitment to aid in our partner’s defenses at a time of increased missile and drone attacks against civilians in Saudi Arabia.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who supports the arms sale, said blocking it would further diminish U.S. influence in the world. He also argued that countries like Russia or China would step into the void and provide the weapons, rendering the gesture meaningless.

“It would give the world yet another reason to doubt the resolve of the United States and it would give our biggest adversaries a new foothold to exert their influence over a rapidly changing and important region,” the Kentucky Republican said.

Sucks
Yes we're being condescending
Yes that means we're talking down to you
EthanSilver 1 month ago#2
Why? I mean, I know why, but why...?
It's okay to be "woke," it's okay to be aware of bigotry...
TheFuzz3451 1 month ago#3
Nearly every Republican and a lot of Democrats voted it down, that's why.

Also Biden would've vetoed it anyway so this never had a chance. But still. It sucks.
Yes we're being condescending
Yes that means we're talking down to you
Humble_Novice 1 month ago#4
Sadly, more swing voters would end up voting Republican if Biden were to stop relying on Saudi Arabia's oil reserves. Therefore, we need to quickly make the transition to electric vehicles to lessen our reliance on petroleum.
BewmHedshot 1 month ago#5
Politics makes strange bedfellows. I can't imagine any other issue that Warren, Sanders, and Rand f***ing Paul agree on.
Covenant 1 month ago#6
More than 20 Democrats perpetuating one of the most unfair social hierarchies in the entire world?

Nothing to see here. Vote Blue no matter who, right?
EthanSilver 1 month ago#7
Covenant posted...
More than 20 Democrats perpetuating one of the most unfair social hierarchies in the entire world?

Nothing to see here. Vote Blue no matter who, right?
I mean, I'm sure voting Red would lead to it being different, right? Plus all that extra good stuff they bring....! I'll vote Red now, for sure... /s

That's not the gotcha you think it is in honest debate about our s***ty two party system.
It's okay to be "woke," it's okay to be aware of bigotry...
Broseph_Stalin 1 month ago#8
EthanSilver posted...
Why? I mean, I know why, but why...?

Because it has no support from Republicans or Democrats. Selling defensive weapons to Saudi Arabia lets them intercept the constant missile attacks launched from Iran and their proxies. Without that the Saudis would be forced to escalate the conflict and conduct offensive campaigns which would just lead to more civilian casualties.

People in power actually have to make decisions. They can't just sit around saying "this is bad".
(message deleted)
-Kicksave- 1 month ago#10
Just because Saudi is bad in Yemen doesn’t mean I oppose arming them against Iran.

Plus I want that sweet, sweet, Saudi oil so my weekly fill up isn’t $80 =P
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Rico, YOU know what to DO!
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Senate rejects bipartisan bid to stop $650M Saudi arms sale
  • Topic Archived