• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. I don't understand why the alt right and racists adopted the ok gesture.
Asherlee10 1 month ago#121
FrozenFlame posted...
So 4chan got exactly what it wanted?

Yeah… people like yourself totally didn’t allow them to dictate anything…

I suppose if you want to say that pointing out Proud Boys flashing an OK sign in a picture means they are representing white supremacy is "dictating my life," then have at it.
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
ai123 1 month ago#122
FrozenFlame posted...
So 4chan got exactly what it wanted?

Yeah… people like yourself totally didn’t allow them to dictate anything…

And what if “the symbol” is simply drinking it?
OK.

So let us suppose a group of Nazis decide that drinking a can of coke is their way of signalling their love of bigotry to each other. (Should probably be Fanta, but I digress).

When one of them recognizes another on the street, they both pull out a can and drink it.

In this case, they have used the gesture of drinking coke to signal bigotry to each other. Anyone who knew the signal would be able to decode it and recognize them as Nazis.

However the can of coke did not become a bigot. Neither did the act of drinking soda.

In another part of town, two casual acquaintances are sipping coke. They recognize and acknowledge each other. This is not a nazi gesture, and does not signal bigotry.

Intent. Context.
'the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently' ~ David Graeber
(message deleted)
ai123 1 month ago#124
ArchHero posted...
Even worse, imagine if it was alcohol. Would you kill yourself?
No idea what you're on about, sunshine.

Been on the sauce yourself?
'the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently' ~ David Graeber
FrozenFlame 1 month ago#125
Asherlee10 posted...
I suppose if you want to say that pointing out Proud Boys flashing an OK sign in a picture means they are representing white supremacy is "dictating my life," then have at it.
Oh, the Proud Boys aren’t smart enough to trick anybody. This is a 4chan hoax that was intended to fool people. Looks like it worked on you like a charm.

ai123 posted...
OK.

So let us suppose a group of Nazis decide that drinking a can of coke is their way of signalling their love of bigotry to each other. (Should probably be Fanta, but I digress).

When one of them recognizes another on the street, they both pull out a can and drink it.

In this case, they have used the gesture of drinking coke to signal bigotry to each other. Anyone who knew the signal would be able to decode it and recognize them as Nazis.

However the can of coke did not become a bigot. Neither did the act of drinking soda.

In another part of town, two casual acquaintances are sipping coke. They recognize and acknowledge each other. This is not a nazi gesture, and does not signal bigotry.

Intent. Context.
LMAO!

If my buddy and I meet at the park on a 90 degree day, and then simultaneously open our coke bottles and drink up. No rational human being is going to assume “omg they must be Nazis!”

Congrats. You’ve just proven my point. 4chan broke you.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
Asherlee10 1 month ago#126
FrozenFlame posted...
Oh, the Proud Boys aren’t smart enough to trick anybody. This is a 4chan hoax that was intended to fool people. Looks like it worked on you like a charm.

Proud Boys aren’t trying to trick anyone. It’s a symbol used to represent white power in certain contexts. What part of that is confusing to you?

"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
ai123 1 month ago#127
FrozenFlame posted...

LMAO!

If my buddy and I meet at the park on a 90 degree day, and then simultaneously open our coke bottles and drink up. No rational human being is going to assume “omg they must be Nazis!”

That's what I just said.

If you knew nazis used coke drinking to signal each other, and you saw two nazis sipping coke, would you deny that they were signalling?

Please try and understand that context and intent matter and that signals do not have fixed and inherent meanings.

Congrats. You’ve just proven my point. 4chan broke you.

It certainly seems to obsess you.

Once actual white supremacists started using the gesture as a white power symbol, 4chan lost all control over their prank. You seem to wish to return it.
FrozenFlame 1 month ago#128
Asherlee10 posted...
Proud Boys aren’t trying to trick anyone. It’s a symbol used to represent white power in certain contexts.
The context you brought up being:
Asherlee10 posted...
Proud Boys flashing an OK sign in a picture

Asherlee10 posted...
What part of that is confusing to you?
No part, you’ve allowed the 4chan hoax to work on you. Normal people have not.

ai123 posted...
If you knew nazis used coke drinking to signal each other, and you saw two nazis sipping coke, would you deny that they were signalling?
How do I know that they are Nazis at all? Simultaneously opening and drinking a Coke proves nothing at all.

And yes, it is extremely possible that they were just thirsty and both wanted cokes.

ai123 posted...
It certainly seems to obsess you.
I’m just curious as to how you people allowed 4chan to outsmart you.

I should start a hoax where I make hugging your own mother a symbol of killing women(since you’re squeezing the life out of them). Then get someone who has murdered a woman to hug his own mother. Think of the ludicrous reaction I would get.

“Hugging your mom is a symbol of murder!!!!”

LMAO!

ai123 posted...
Once actual white supremacists started using the gesture as a white power symbol, 4chan lost all control over their prank. You seem to wish to return it.
4chan lost control of nothing. The intent was for this to catch on and fool numbskulls. Looks like it worked on you. Congrats.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
Ya_dun_goofed 1 month ago#129
IDK why and as someone who used to use it I'm angered that we surrendered it to them instead of just posting biracial couples(as this will hit both the incels and the racist where it hurts) using it on Twitter and getting that trending. Fight back instead of rolling over and playing dead.
"the ABSOLUTE LAST THING ANY adc needs right now is a nerf." - Crows
SaikyoStyle 1 month ago#130
FrozenFlame posted...
The context you brought up being:

No part, you’ve allowed the 4chan hoax to work on you. Normal people have not.

How do I know that they are Nazis at all? Simultaneously opening and drinking a Coke proves nothing at all.

And yes, it is extremely possible that they were just thirsty and both wanted cokes.

I’m just curious as to how you people allowed 4chan to outsmart you.

I should start a hoax where I make hugging your own mother a symbol of killing women(since you’re squeezing the life out of them). Then get someone who has murdered a woman to hug his own mother. Think of the ludicrous reaction I would get.

“Hugging your mom is a symbol of murder!!!!”

LMAO!

4chan lost control of nothing. The intent was for this to catch on and fool numbskulls. Looks like it worked on you. Congrats.
Tell us about your useful skills.
Taxes, death, and trouble.
Brunt/Gaila 2024. Make Ferenginar Great Again!
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. I don't understand why the alt right and racists adopted the ok gesture.
  • Topic Archived