• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. I don't understand why the alt right and racists adopted the ok gesture.
GranolaPanic 1 month ago#1
This used to be a completely innocent gesture with no controversy surrounding it. Then a few years ago prominent white supremacist figures like Richard Spencer and David Duke started using it. After that, other right wing groups like the Proud Boys did as well.

I’ve asked a few right wing people to explain it and they said it was a prank. I’m sorry, but I’m failing to understand how this is supposed to be a prank.

What’s to be gained from trying to redefine it or use it as some sort of hidden code?
Please get vaccinated.
ai123 1 month ago#2
It's supposed to resemble the letters 'WP' (White Power).
'the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently' ~ David Graeber
Avirosb 1 month ago#3
No idea, but Hitler adopting the toothbrush mustache did the world of facial hair fashion a favor.
sorryantivaxxer dot com
Avirosb 1 month ago#4
ai123 posted...
I prefer WAP myself.
sorryantivaxxer dot com
BLAKUboy 1 month ago#5
It was never a prank. 4chan tried to pretend it was well after self-proclaimed Nazis started using it.
Aeris dies if she takes more damage than her current HP - Panthera
https://signavatar.com/26999_s.png
ai123 1 month ago#6
Avirosb posted...
I prefer WAP myself.
The right don't seem so keen.
'the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently' ~ David Graeber
themastah 1 month ago#7
ai123 posted...
The right don't seem so keen.
The right doesn't understand female biology.
A wild blog has appeared!
http://thedeepindigo.wordpress.com - A new blog about M:TG and other games: this one has updates!
ai123 1 month ago#8
themastah posted...
The right doesn't understand female biology.
How would they?
Heineken14 1 month ago#9
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on the "ok" thing because I definitely remember people using it as "white power" when I was a kid.

Anyway, it started as a "joke" to show how easily offended/triggered/dumb the left was that they'd go crazy over a simple "ok" symbol!!!! Something they could use in talking points about how unreasonable the left is and they're just looking for racism everywhere. It's why you get dips***s posting a bunch of pictures of Obama and Biden and other randos doing it and playing dumb like they don't know that context matters.

The problem is, they started using it unironically and turning it into an actual symbol that racists use.
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
GranolaPanic 1 month ago#10
ai123 posted...

I guess I could kind of see that even if it’s a big reach.

BLAKUboy posted...
It was never a prank. 4chan tried to pretend it was well after self-proclaimed Nazis started using it.

I hate that 4chan has such a large influence on political discourse.
Please get vaccinated.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. I don't understand why the alt right and racists adopted the ok gesture.
  • Topic Archived