This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Biden says US will defend Taiwan if China attacks
ai123 1 month ago#61
darkknight109 posted...
Coming to the defence of a sovereign country under attack is not aggression.
The US does not even recognise Taiwan as a sovereign nation.
'the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently' ~ David Graeber
darkknight109 1 month ago#62
Heckin_Good_Boi posted...
Is this really news though? The US would always jump at the chance to throw its military at something it's god for business.
War is absolutely not "good for business". I figured the last 20 years of war in the Middle East would have proved that rather succinctly, given that it overlapped with two major economic crashes and a general period of malaise.

The myth that war is good for business came from WW2 and had more to do with the fact that "war" in those days meant a manufacturing boom, coupled with a patriotic drive to get people to buy government bonds that buoyed the economy (and even then, the debt-to-GDP ratio spiked sky-high during the war years). War these days does not produce similar effects.

This is also not accounting for the fact that China being a major player in the global economy means war with them would be uniquely disastrous for the US economy and the global economy in general. That said, so would an invasion of Taiwan, which would result in massive supply chain problems, as well as handing over 60% of the world's semiconductor manufacturing market to a geopolitical rival.

The US is not eager for war with China, nor is China eager for war with the US. Biden's announcement was basically posturing to tell the CCP to stay in their lane.
Kill 1 man: You are a murderer. Kill 10 men: You are a monster.
Kill 100 men: You are a hero. Kill 10,000 men, you are a conqueror!
darkknight109 1 month ago#63
Avirosb posted...
My gotcha was the US' long history of violently transgressing on sovereign countries.
And?

I'm not American, so if you were hoping I'd take that as a personal insult you're mistaken. Also, just because the US does some truly atrocious s*** (and they do) doesn't mean China can also do that same obnoxious s***. If you're against the US mucking around in countries they don't belong, you should be against China doing the same thing for the same reasons.

ai123 posted...
The US does not even recognise Taiwan as a sovereign nation.
Which doesn't mean it isn't one, nor that the US doesn't de facto recognize it by its conduct.

The US doesn't recognize Taiwan pro forma because China refuses to do business with anyone who does and it is to the US's economic benefit to have trade relations with China. But all of their actions taken towards Taiwan are the same taken towards sovereign nations. They have what amounts to an embassy in all but name (dressed up as a "consulate" so as not to violate agreements with China), they supply military aid, they have formal relations with the "people on Taiwan and their government", so on and so forth.
Fenriswolf 1 month ago#64
TonyKojima posted...
Says the CCP shill lol. Nobody takes you seriously not even on the PC board.

That's rich coming from the person who had a tantrum because MS bought Bethesda and got Steam support to remove all Bethesda games LMAO
Hello
Avirosb 1 month ago#65
darkknight109 posted...
And?

I'm not American, so if you were hoping I'd take that as a personal insult you're mistaken.

Well where are you from then, calling people CCP shills left and right?
Because I'm not American either and it just comes off as a tribal defense mechanism.
Yes, I'm against china mucking about in other countries but what can you do when those countries' capitalists LET THEM?

sorryantivaxxer dot com
Heckin_Good_Boi 1 month ago#66
darkknight109 posted...
War is absolutely not "good for business". I figured the last 20 years of war in the Middle East would have proved that rather succinctly, given that it overlapped with two major economic crashes and a general period of malaise.

The myth that war is good for business came from WW2 and had more to do with the fact that "war" in those days meant a manufacturing boom, coupled with a patriotic drive to get people to buy government bonds that buoyed the economy (and even then, the debt-to-GDP ratio spiked sky-high during the war years). War these days does not produce similar effects.

This is also not accounting for the fact that China being a major player in the global economy means war with them would be uniquely disastrous for the US economy and the global economy in general. That said, so would an invasion of Taiwan, which would result in massive supply chain problems, as well as handing over 60% of the world's semiconductor manufacturing market to a geopolitical rival.

The US is not eager for war with China, nor is China eager for war with the US. Biden's announcement was basically posturing to tell the CCP to stay in their lane.
I didn't say war was good business for everyone, It makes certain people a lot of money and those people happen to be the only people America cares about. An economic crash in America only really hurts the people at the bottom of the food chain. Look at Covid for example, disastrous for the lower and middle class but the 1% made HUGE profits.

As far as Biden's announcement goes it was entirely meaningless as China has zero intention of using any form of military force in Taiwan. If they keep doing what they are doing they won't even need to use military force to bring Taiwan into the fold.
Anybody wanna peanut?
_Odin 1 month ago#67
@Fenriswolf are you even capable of making a single post that doesnt use whataboutism? if the best you can do to defend your ccp paymasters is to say "america bad" then you need to be demoted
themastah 1 month ago#68
Scorpion122178 posted...
what do you even think this means. You realize that there is no such thing as "international law" right?
Lolwut
A wild blog has appeared!
http://thedeepindigo.wordpress.com - A new blog about M:TG and other games: this one has updates!
TrowaBarton7 1 month ago#69
Taiwan says odds of war with China in next year is "very low":

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/taiwan-says-odds-war-with-china-next-year-very-low-2021-10-20/
I am Iron Man
darkknight109 1 month ago#70
Avirosb posted...
Well where are you from then, calling people CCP shills left and right?
Why does it matter? The veracity of my viewpoints is not dependent on what geographic location I currently occupy and the only people who ever ask that question are the ones hoping to make sweeping generalizations based on where I live.

And the only people I call CCP shills are actual CCP shills, the sort who defend China on f***ing everything including their wanton human rights abuses.

Avirosb posted...
Because I'm not American either and it just comes off as a tribal defense mechanism.
Defence of what? I haven't defended anything in this topic, save for Taiwan's right to freedom and self-governance as a sovereign nation.

Avirosb posted...
Yes, I'm against china mucking about in other countries but what can you do when those countries' capitalists LET THEM?
Counterpoint: no one in Taiwan is "letting" China invade. Which, really, is all this discussion is about.

We can talk about the more predatory aspects of the Belt and Road policy if you like, but that's not really the subject of this topic and should probably be moved to another thread.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Biden says US will defend Taiwan if China attacks
  • Topic Archived