• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Do you believe in the existence of an Illuminati?
ai123 3 months ago#11
No.

The whole thing was invented in the 60s as part of Operation Mindf*** by Kerry Thornley. Ironically to show how conspiracy theories were a) f***ing stupid and b) made the population docile and malleable.

'the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently' ~ David Graeber
abyss 3 months ago#12
Not in the sense that conspiracy theorists would talk about it.

Is there people in power doing things to further their personal agendas beyond closed doors? Of course. Are some of them going to have influence with public or private organizations? Of course. Will some of them work with other, like minded people? Of course.

Is there an organized group that wants to TAKE OVER THE WORLD? No, that's stupid. If they wanted to do that, spoilers: They already would have.

ragnarokius 3 months ago#13
Maybe sorta - in the sense that the world's elite are connected and subtely influence politics and the economy. It just makes sense to do that. But not necessarily like they're portrayed in media or conspiracies, or that they even go by that name.

Is there an organized group that wants to TAKE OVER THE WORLD? No, that's stupid. If they wanted to do that, spoilers: They already would have.

Haven't "they"? In a sense? If you consider it as simply ultra wealthy vs.. not ultra wealthy, anyway.

https://tinyurl.com/hhcb7k5d
NewDarkAges 3 months ago#14
hereforemnant posted...
I miss when people just called it the illuminati, because then you could laugh and walk away because they weren't able to articulate their points well enough to actually break it down into specific groups like you do.
Now everyone just says dEeP StAtE & jazz hands & everyone cowers in fear before getting enraged about it.
It's not deep state.
It's just political donors and media moguls.

Charles Koch, Robert Mercer, Rupert Murdoch etc have agendas and use their money to brainwash people via their media empires. Wall Street, Pharmaceutical, weapons and petro chemical lobbies also have agendas and donate to politicians. They aren't donating for fun or to be kind.

They're doing it to buy votes in favor of their industries. It is a conspiracy, it is corruption and it's out in the open for all to see.
There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect - Frank Wilhoit on conservatism
TheFuzz3451 3 months ago#15
I mean there are unquestionably national security agencies and networks that operate completely outside of any civilian oversight, much less democratic accountability. And their function, first and foremost, is to protect a status quo that serves private capital at the expense of most of the world

But that reality is less sexy than imagining a singular cabal that controls all world events with button pushes or something. Especially since there are genuine conflicts among the "powers that be", as it were; ruling classes aren't all one big happy family.
Yes we're being condescending
Yes that means we're talking down to you
Asherlee10 3 months ago#16
I think the Illuminati is just a fairy tale, but I 100% think that there are groups and individuals that have a certain level of control that reaches through governments, entertainment, business, and more.
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
Sczoyd 3 months ago#17
The Illuminati existed at one point for sure, and yeah I would bet they're still around in some form.
Do I think they control the world? Probably not...
"No merkins? Fie on thee." - zhukov1943
WoT
Scorpion122178 3 months ago#18
Isn't it a real historical organization that was documented in revolutionary times?
"Why should I harbor hatred towards someone who is obviously inferior to myself?
All I feel is pity."
d_parker 3 months ago#19
MaxEffingBemis posted...
I don’t believe in anything

Santa Claus says hi.
ai123 3 months ago#20
Scorpion122178 posted...
Isn't it a real historical organization that was documented in revolutionary times?
It was a German secret society from the 18th Century.

Thornley picked it for his fake conspiracy theory because it was such an absurd concept to portray them as the hidden rulers of the world.

Basically, the Illuminati thing is just one huge counter culture troll.
'the ultimate, hidden truth of the world is that it is something that we make, and could just as easily make differently' ~ David Graeber
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Do you believe in the existence of an Illuminati?
  • Topic Archived