This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Special Needs Students In COVID Era

User Info: gatsbyy

gatsbyy
1 month ago#1
Seriously after 18 months we haven’t figured out how to accommodate special needs students during this COVID era?

We don’t have a vaccine for kids under 12 and a lot of special needs students have immunity issues. Virtual learning done right should be prioritized for children with immune issues. Virtual learning should not be just for nonspecial needs students either.

I don’t agree with Biden administration about virtual learning. Ideally all kids should be in school but these are not normal times. We should have virtual learning for all who have immunity issues.

Also education in 2021 should be mainly virtual. I would have done three days virtual and two days in class. For example M/Tu just 10th graders W/Th just 11th graders and Fri/Sat just seniors.

https://apple.news/Al_XGIALXQa-P6yNGdWQgJg

User Info: bobbycorwin

bobbycorwin
1 month ago#2
gatsbyy posted...
I don’t agree with Biden administration about virtual learning. Ideally all kids should be in school but these are not normal times. We should have virtual learning for all who have immunity issues.

Did Biden say we should have virtual learning when it’s a normal time?
People are lazy. With television you just sit-watch-listen. The thinking is done for you.
A Plan for Putting the GOP on TV News - Roger Ailes, Fox News founder

User Info: gatsbyy

gatsbyy
1 month ago#3
bobbycorwin posted...
Did Biden say we should have virtual learning when it’s a normal time?
Well his Secretary of Education never got that message.

User Info: ForsakenHermit

ForsakenHermit
1 month ago#4
Doesn't @wally work with special needs students? Perhaps he could shed some light on the subject.
Beware the fanatic! Too often his cure is deadlier by far than the evil he denounces!-Stan Lee RIP
Make Arcades Great Again!

User Info: wally

wally
1 month ago#5
The problem with any sort of plan involving kids in school a couple days and virtual a couple days is that either:

1) They just aren't getting any instruction on their virtual days or
2) You're dealing with concurrent learning (some kids virtual, some hybrid) which, with all due respect, can f*** the hell right off. It's all the drawbacks of both virtual and face-to-face with none of the benefits of either. Whatever stupid a****** decided that concurrent learning would work last year should be tied to a chair in a teachers' lounge.

Virtual learning with students with special needs was mostly a failure. It worked with some kids with emotional disorders or autism spectrum disorder, where a lot of their problems were social interactions, but otherwise, it was awful and there's nothing that would feasibly make it non-awful. I'd say the real approach that needs to happen with those kids is getting them in as close to February 2020 conditions as possible with appropriate hazard pay for the teaching staff and regular testing of both students and teachers.
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight

User Info: atmasabr

atmasabr
1 month ago#6
gatsbyy posted...
Seriously after 18 months we haven’t figured out how to accommodate special needs students during this COVID era?

Are you kidding? My city can't figure out how to educate general education students.

Send them back to school. That's the only way to minimize damage.

Oh, immunity issues? Ehhhh
So much of the tragedy in human history can be explained by man's attempts to kill Cain.

User Info: ForsakenHermit

ForsakenHermit
1 month ago#7
One silver lining I've noticed is that schools have a system in place to go remote for non-pandemic reasons. A school near me has to close for a few days to fix a gas leak but because they know how to do remote learning they can stay at home.
Beware the fanatic! Too often his cure is deadlier by far than the evil he denounces!-Stan Lee RIP
Make Arcades Great Again!
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Special Needs Students In COVID Era
  • Topic Archived