This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. NYC public schools is gradually eliminating programs for gifted students

User Info: UT1999

UT1999
1 month ago#1
do you agree with them doing this? iirc they're allowing all students in all programs to join the gifted classes, iirc - Results (85 votes)
yes
25.88% (22 votes)
no
74.12% (63 votes)
This poll is now closed.
do you ?
"Sometimes they even attack wounded foxes"

User Info: atmasabr

atmasabr
1 month ago#2
As someone who benefited from a G&T program for much of my public school years, most definitely not.
So much of the tragedy in human history can be explained by man's attempts to kill Cain.

User Info: Tro77Tro

Tro77Tro
1 month ago#3
atmasabr posted...
As someone who benefited from a G&T program for much of my public school years, most definitely not.

Welcome to my They/Themporium.

User Info: Tanthalas

Tanthalas
1 month ago#4
Given that you barely explain what's happening, I can't really comment on what's happening.

Just going to say that gifted students need a different curriculum to keep their interest and stimulate them.
Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

User Info: battourye

battourye
1 month ago#5
I'd like to retailor Gifted & Talented into in general tracks for different career types, but that's not going to happen. If this ends up being so that everyone gets the same terrible resources, then I'm against it.
Fools think there are good and bad guys in intl. relations.-Terran
Currently Listening To: Ondore's Lies

User Info: MikeRiley

MikeRiley
1 month ago#6
Semi-related, my mother is a teacher's aid in a school in upstate New York. The school district recently decided that all students have a right to be in a normal classroom, so all the problem kids are back in regular class. The teachers are not trained for that, and those kids have behavioral and mental disabilities that require close personal attention. Until the pandemic hit and things went virtual she was coming home every day with new bruises. She was talking about retiring early, and said so were all the other older teachers.

Nobody should be able to make decisions for the school system without first having been a teacher.
You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into. - Jonathan Swift

User Info: ForsakenHermit

ForsakenHermit
1 month ago#7
With a school community that big I don't see how anything else makes much since than gifted schools/stem schools and the like. With that many kids you might as well put them in schools that help them get the full potential of their talents and or assist them with their weaknesses.

MikeRiley posted... Semi-related, my mother is a teacher's aid in a school in upstate New York. The school district recently decided that all students have a right to be in a normal classroom, so all the problem kids are back in regular class. The teachers are not trained for that, and those kids have behavioral and mental disabilities that require close personal attention. Until the pandemic hit and things went virtual she was coming home every day with new bruises. She was talking about retiring early, and said so were all the other older teachers.

Nobody should be able to make decisions for the school system without first having been a teacher.
What region of upstate if you don't mind me asking?
Beware the fanatic! Too often his cure is deadlier by far than the evil he denounces!-Stan Lee RIP
Make Arcades Great Again!

User Info: battourye

battourye
1 month ago#8
ForsakenHermit posted...
With a school community that big I don't see how anything else makes much since than gifted schools/stem schools and the like. With that many kids you might as well put them in schools that help them get the full potential of their talents and or assist them with their weaknesses.

The issue is that creates a racially biased upper class consisting mostly of whites, this change is meant to enforce everyone getting the same resources so there isn't a racial advantage.
Fools think there are good and bad guys in intl. relations.-Terran
Currently Listening To: Ondore's Lies

User Info: KariyaLollipop

KariyaLollipop
1 month ago#9
Can't speak to the details of the NYC case specifically, in general though I favor easier movement into gifted programs. I tested into one in my last year of elementary school. Come high school I knew plenty of kids just as smart as me who didn't feel confident taking honors/AP classes because they thought those were an extension of earlier gifted programs. I think everyone should have the chance to enter into these programs and stay as long as they continue to thrive there.
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

User Info: ForsakenHermit

ForsakenHermit
1 month ago#10
battourye posted...
The issue is that creates a racially biased upper class consisting mostly of whites, this change is meant to enforce everyone getting the same resources so there isn't a racial advantage.
Those schools didn't already have AA practices to address that? That's strange.
Beware the fanatic! Too often his cure is deadlier by far than the evil he denounces!-Stan Lee RIP
Make Arcades Great Again!
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. NYC public schools is gradually eliminating programs for gifted students
  • Topic Archived