This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. trumps lawyer claims he should get his twitter back because he is president

User Info: AceMos

AceMos
4 weeks ago#1
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1440856192956256256?s=19
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*

User Info: Relient_K

Relient_K
4 weeks ago#2
Twitter has no responsibility to host any political statements at all. That the president chose to use it instead of more official mediums to get his trash messages out is not twitters fault.
We all ate the biscuits, Fighter. We can all see through time. [ER]

User Info: Takuya Lee

Takuya Lee
4 weeks ago#3
Hey, that's former President!. Which means diddly squat for your lawsuit. Loser.

...Wait a sec, if he's arguing this Twitter is a government operated one, that would mean he has no standing to sue because he's a private citizen now.
Narutaki was right. This is all Decade's fault.

User Info: slaity

slaity
4 weeks ago#4
Trump's argument seems to be that his Twitter account was actually operated on behalf of the government, inasmuch as he made announcements about policy. And Twitter's TOS don't apply to government entities that cannot accept venue limitations.

But if the court accepts the argument that Trump's Twitter account became a thing operated by and for the U.S. government, that would seem to open up the big question of why Trump, a private citizen, would have standing to sue over it.

(The argument also doesn't address why the other plaintiffs in the lawsuit, who weren't president, should escape the terms of service because Trump was.)

Trump's lawyers expressly say his Twitter account "was a government account, and not a private one when he was censored."

Trump also argues that Twitter's terms of service shouldn't be binding because the product is addictive, leaving addicts little choice but to agree.

Lawyers for Trump - a self-described billionaire - say his "access to resources to conduct extensive litigation in Northern California are limited.
Index of Economic Freedom 2020: #1 Singapore... #9 Canada ...#17 US

User Info: benjjjamin

benjjjamin
4 weeks ago#5
The law profession needs to get its s*** together. I know their standards are low compared to others, but christ in a cabinet.
Welcome to the Thunderdome

User Info: ThePieReborn

ThePieReborn
4 weeks ago#6
slaity posted...
Trump's argument seems to be that his Twitter account was actually operated on behalf of the government, inasmuch as he made announcements about policy. And Twitter's TOS don't apply to government entities that cannot accept venue limitations.

But if the court accepts the argument that Trump's Twitter account became a thing operated by and for the U.S. government, that would seem to open up the big question of why Trump, a private citizen, would have standing to sue over it.

(The argument also doesn't address why the other plaintiffs in the lawsuit, who weren't president, should escape the terms of service because Trump was.)

Trump's lawyers expressly say his Twitter account "was a government account, and not a private one when he was censored."

Trump also argues that Twitter's terms of service shouldn't be binding because the product is addictive, leaving addicts little choice but to agree.

Lawyers for Trump - a self-described billionaire - say his "access to resources to conduct extensive litigation in Northern California are limited.
Barring those last two quoted paragraphs from that dude's Twitter thread because they are, on their face, incredibly stupid arguments, there's an actual interesting interplay between the issue of Trump's Twitter/comment section on tweets being a designated public forum and this present dispute.

I'm not sure if that prior decision is dispositive on the question of the forum selection clause because there are always ways to frame things differently. Standing would also be an issue of concern, although muddled somewhat since we would have effectively had two conversions of ownership.
Party leader, passive-aggressive doormat, pasta eater extraordinaire!

User Info: feudel

feudel
4 weeks ago#7
again he agreed to the rules to post there.
????????

User Info: Relient_K

Relient_K
4 weeks ago#8
Also the fact that he is still pushing for his account shows how much it still bothers him.
We all ate the biscuits, Fighter. We can all see through time. [ER]

User Info: Westernwolf4

Westernwolf4
4 weeks ago#9
benjjjamin posted...
The law profession needs to get its s*** together. I know their standards are low compared to others, but christ in a cabinet.

I am a lawyer, and I could not agree with this statement more.

An opinion does not turn into a fact simply because the person holding it feels strongly about it.

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
4 weeks ago#10
Relient_K posted...
Also the fact that he is still pushing for his account shows how much it still bothers him.

Despite him releasing one of his dumb memos saying he doesn't care about Twitter, which I'd assume could/would be used against him in this.
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. trumps lawyer claims he should get his twitter back because he is president
  • Topic Archived