This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. SpaceX's Starship to land next Americans on the Moon

User Info: CommonJoe

CommonJoe
3 weeks ago#1
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/as-artemis-moves-forward-nasa-picks-spacex-to-land-next-americans-on-moon/

Im sure the anti-Musk brigade will pop a blood vessel but this is the right choice and likely means that SLS finally dies once it runs out of payloads unless they Frankenstein it to keep flying Orion for some stupid ass reason.

Unlikely we'll hit 2024 for the return unless Starship starts to rapidly get closer to flight ready, but we'll probably see it by end of the decade at the most.

I shouldnt be approaching 30 and preparing for life as a climate refugee.
(message deleted)

User Info: Dynedux

Dynedux
3 weeks ago#3
knivesX2004 posted...
I must have missed the part where Musk's ideas stopped being dangerous and stupid.
apparently people that make decisions feel differently
The idea of "doxxing" is idiotic. Why should anyone be able to hide behind the anonymity of the internet?-AndreLeGeant

User Info: Starks

Starks
3 weeks ago#4
The National Team of Blue Origin, Lockheed, Grumman, and Draper did not have competitive bids. Neither did Dynetics.

Starship might not be practical, but tons of hardware for it have already been built and flown. And if we want a moon base, it's the vehicle we need. It seems a bit stupid that Congress is forcing us to use the SLS to put astronauts in orbit and then transfer to the Starship for lunar landing and ascent. Just because Starship doesn't have an abort or escape system that matches previous spacecraft, doesn't justify spending billions per launch when the Falcon 9 is less than a fraction of the price and just as capable.

But at the end of the day, it will be Starship that's used for transcontinental flights and getting dozens of people to orbit in a single go. It's the future of space and we're still trying to figure out what we're going to do with it.
Posted with GameRaven 3.6.0_B3

User Info: CommonJoe

CommonJoe
3 weeks ago#5
knivesX2004 posted...
I must have missed the part where Musk's ideas stopped being dangerous and stupid.

Id really love to know why anti-Musk people act just like his simps do in pretending hes that involved in the process.
I shouldnt be approaching 30 and preparing for life as a climate refugee.

User Info: Requiem

Requiem
3 weeks ago#6
Why are we sending people to the moon?
We've already did it over a half a century ago.
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex

User Info: Starks

Starks
3 weeks ago#7
Because we wanted to stay there this time and it's a proving ground for Mars.
Posted with GameRaven 3.6.0_B3

User Info: CoyoteTheGreat

CoyoteTheGreat
3 weeks ago#8
CommonJoe posted...
Id really love to know why anti-Musk people act just like his simps do in pretending hes that involved in the process.

Musk is objectively a pretty terrible person though, regardless of whether privatized space flight is a good idea or not. Musk might not be involved in the process, but he did set up the business model, and that means long hours and poor treatment of workers, while Musk gets all the credit for every achievement they make.

My thought on this particular subject is, I'm glad we are taking steps towards moving to outer space when we've clearly exploited Earth to the breaking point, but I'd rather it be done for the public good and environmental reasons rather than private interests and profit.
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata..

User Info: Dynedux

Dynedux
3 weeks ago#9
Requiem posted...
Why are we sending people to the moon?
We've already did it over a half a century ago.
Is this an honest question 🤔
The idea of "doxxing" is idiotic. Why should anyone be able to hide behind the anonymity of the internet?-AndreLeGeant

User Info: Requiem

Requiem
3 weeks ago#10
I guess I just don't see sending people to Mars as a realistic goal at this point.
Even if we could send them, it'll be a one way trip.
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. SpaceX's Starship to land next Americans on the Moon
  • Topic Archived