This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Joe Biden and Senate have agreed to tighter income limits for Stimulus checks

User Info: Stalinrules

Stalinrules
1 month ago#101
Are adult dependents still part of the bill?

Ozzy Rules!

User Info: LightSnake

LightSnake
1 month ago#102
Tino_Tonitini2 posted...
Yeah, I agree with this. If the government wants to do a 4th stimulus check later and change the rules then, I think that will still suck for some people but it's not as shady as what's happening now. Biden promised $2000 to a lot of people. He already fudged things by saying "oh it's actually $1,400 on top of the previous $600." Not cool but fine, we'll go with that. Now some of those $600 recipients won't get the $1,400, or in other words, no $2,000. Not good.

If Biden and the Democrats keep pulling garbage like this, they deserve to lose seats in 2022.

Before you start calling "Trumper" or "redcap" or something similar, I am a registered Democrat, I voted for Biden, I never voted for Trump and I wanted him out. Don't even try to pull that bs. Many Trump supporters blindly supported whatever lies and rubbish Trump fed them and liberals rightly called them out on it. Let's not be like them with regard to Biden.

Right now, it's because of Manchin and Sinema, full stop. The fact is, we don't have a choice. It's this or a bill doesn't pass.
Ring the bells that still can ring/Forget your perfect offering/There is a crack in everything/That's how the light gets in."- RIP, Leonard Cohen
(message deleted)

User Info: Graycap

Graycap
1 month ago#104
Stalinrules posted...
Are adult dependents still part of the bill?

Yes, but the bill is still being negotiated by the Senate, so that could change.
Say it on your main.

User Info: Starks

Starks
1 month ago#105
I want progressives to cut the crap. The people who truly need the checks are getting them. It would have been nice if I got a few dollars for a PlayStation 5 but the fact that I even say that highlights that I don't need the check. I wasn't getting the full amount in any reality.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
Posted with GameRaven 3.6.0_B3

User Info: cyquatic

cyquatic
1 month ago#106
Charismic Zach Gowen posted...
I mean, I wish we didn't have to compromise to get Manchin on board but with 50/50 senate split, it is what it is. He's untouchable electorally, and he knows it.

I know, I’m just mad at the whole situation. I get the reality of it, just not loving it. At all.

The only way is to render him irrelevant by getting more Dems in the Senate so he isn't the deciding vote. I'd rather compromise on the stimulus checks not going to to single people who made $80,000 in 2020 than people who are unemployed getting less money or nobody getting anything. If we're getting mad, get mad at Manchin for being a jackass, not 99.9% of Democrats who without hesitation supported the original plans.

I’m mad at the 2 D’s who could fk this up as well as all the R’s who prefer obstruct then get anything substantial passed.

User Info: Bako Ikporamee

Bako Ikporamee
1 month ago#107
Starks posted...

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Get Biden to tell this to Manchin. Don't yell at the people with no power.
Official "Bako Ikporamee" of GameFAQs
https://www.leetshoe.com

User Info: Graycap

Graycap
1 month ago#108
Starks posted...
I want progressives to cut the crap.

I want moderates to cut the crap. We don't always get what we want. If the people in power won't be the bigger men, don't expect anyone else to.

Fact is this is an optical failure. If nobody criticizes the mistakes then they're even more likely to made.

Starks posted...
It would have been nice if I got a few dollars for a PlayStation 5 but the fact that I even say that highlights that I don't need the check. I wasn't getting the full amount in any reality.

Stimulus isn't about need. It's intended as disposable income. The only reason there are cutoffs at all is because we determine that at a certain income level most recipients bank their money instead of spending it. There is already an seperate safety net for those who need money, and the fact that in America we often confuse stimulus as a supplement to it is telling of how inadequate that safety net is here.

The relief bill does stengthen it, but we're fine to point out any regression where it's made as well (such as with the checks).
Say it on your main.

User Info: Wolfesth

Wolfesth
1 month ago#109
Graycap posted...
I want moderates to cut the crap. We don't always get what we want. If the people in power won't be the bigger men, don't expect anyone else to.

Fact is this is an optical failure. If nobody criticizes the mistakes then they're even more likely to made.

Stimulus isn't about need. It's intended as disposable income. The only reason there are cutoffs at all is because we determine that at a certain income level most recipients bank their money instead of spending it. There is already an seperate safety net for those who need money, and the fact that in America we often confuse stimulus as a supplement to it is telling of how inadequate that safety net is here.

The relief bill does stengthen it, but we're fine to point out any regression where it's made as well (such as with the checks).

Sorry 20 million high earners who can do without these checks didn't get them.
It is a broken promise.

We'll do more to help.those that need it the least next time round.

Would the abolishment of all student debt be enough to appease progressives?

Seriously just let us know what we can do to make you folks happy.

Anything.

User Info: CoyoteTheGreat

CoyoteTheGreat
1 month ago#110
My thoughts on this aren't really that different than Lightsnake's actually. Its a good bill (Though it doesn't do nearly enough), that was made slightly less good by Manchin's nonsense.

I do think though that politically it is malpractice to change the terms for the worse from what was being sent out under Trump though, even if other things are being added on, because that's not what people are going to see, and that's not what the narrative is going to be, and those need to be the most important things to consider when it comes to big moves like this, especially when you only get one chance in the year. It could be worse, I mean, 80k cutoffs is probably going to infuriate more people in richer, bluer states more-so than the battleground states, where Democrats have more leeway to lose votes, but we shouldn't accept any loss of votes, and no other Democrat would get away with this level of a lack of teamplay.

The end goal for every bill popping out of the Senate needs to be "How many more votes will this get the Democratic Party, and how much closer will this get us to burying the Republican party". People thinking in terms of "bipartisanship" (IE, how can we make sure that Republicans look good from this too) are enemies. Worse yet, they are enemies who are aiding and abetting a fascist, far-right, white supremacist party that has already once tried a coup against the rightfully elected government.
Disobedience is the stamp of the hero. -Ragnar Redbeard
Also, this is Kagata..
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Joe Biden and Senate have agreed to tighter income limits for Stimulus checks
  • Topic Archived