This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. "cancel culture" is the marketplace of ideas simply rejecting yours

User Info: Wolfesth

Wolfesth
1 month ago#421
MajesticFerret posted...
Honestly, you should just block me. I pretty much hate everything you have to say on everything and think you are everything wrong with the Democratic party and kinda wish you would just fall in a bed of nails tbh.

Thanks guy coming from the likes of you that's a compliment

Like stupid explicitly anti-liberal s*** like this for instance.

f*** would you know about liberalism alt righter. May as well ask Stevie Wonder what he thinks of Picasso.

More anti-liberal bulls***. You are ok with bootlicking mega corps who only fire people to save a penny when it's people you disagree with, yet you and others in this topic have completely ignored the many cases for when it comes with people who by all accounts are good people, same political spectrum as you, and just said some dumb s*** 10yrs ago

I am okay with private companies hiring and firing who they please.
That is the free market workplace we live and have for decades
I guess when it starts hiring gays and blacks and starts firing people for bigotry against gays and blacks. Suddenly it's a problem for you types.

Lack of forgiveness comes from a place of hate and ignorance and has no place in modern society. If someone said something hateful in 2021 context they probably meant it. If they said something that was a-ok 15 yrs ago and it's problematic by today's standards, that just shows that society collectively had flaws at this time so of course the people in it would have flaws as

There's no statue of limatations on calling black people n@@@@@@ or gay people f@@@.
Sorry you can't understand that guy but it is was it is.

Wtf you mean "hypothetical bulls***" and how the hell does Peterson getting his book published no problem help your point and not further reinforce mine?

Peterson getting his book published by Penguin/Random House the largest publishing house in the f***ing world.
Means he isn't getting cancelled by the mainstream .Since they are as main stream.as it gets.

These companies only care about MONEY. The firing of actors is because they think it protects their bottom line. A publisher will publish a J. Peterson book even if they disagree with him because his s*** sells and they like money.

Are companies cancelling people because of random twitter mobs or because they disagree with their views.

Which is it?

User Info: hamstar

hamstar
1 month ago#422
When you are a big enough star it seems you are exception and immune to being cancelled. Other examples than JP are Pewdiepie and JK Rowlings. The theory to explain it is that so many people are dependent on you for revenue you cannot be cancelled. Had JK Rowlings or Pewdiepie slipped out their unfavorable opinions at the start of their careers they would likely be cancelled. It's just too late now. I guess it would sort of be like telling a girl I just met I was Trump supporter as opposed to telling her after our 3rd child together.

User Info: CyricZ

CyricZ
1 month ago#423
Oh yeah "lack of forgiveness".

Y'know, to get forgiveness, one usually has to ask for it, not assume it's owed.

The more high profile cases I've seen of people being "cancelled", it's usually either they don't bother with any kind of apology or give the old "I'm sorry you're so angry" or some variant thereof.

A lot of people have asked for forgiveness over the past few years and I'm struggling to think of someone where forgiveness was completely denied, but perhaps Ferret could help us here.
CyricZ He/him

CyricZ
1 month ago#424
hamstar posted...
When you are a big enough star it seems you are exception and immune to being cancelled. Other examples than JP are Pewdiepie and JK Rowlings. The theory to explain it is that so many people are dependent on you for revenue you cannot be cancelled.
I think everyone is "cancelable". It's just a case of what that person did and how many people are willing to speak against them.
CyricZ He/him

hamstar
1 month ago#425
CyricZ posted...
Oh yeah "lack of forgiveness".

Y'know, to get forgiveness, one usually has to ask for it, not assume it's owed.

The more high profile cases I've seen of people being "cancelled", it's usually either they don't bother with any kind of apology or give the old "I'm sorry you're so angry" or some variant thereof.

A lot of people have asked for forgiveness over the past few years and I'm struggling to think of someone where forgiveness was completely denied, but perhaps Ferret could help us here.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-galaxy-player-fired-after-wife-makes-racist-comments-20200605-ny5dcvambbgixl2e7o3pqvkhcy-story.html

The soccer player apologized for his wife's tweet. Still fired.

Apologies don't won't. You just get punished harder for admitting your fault and your supporters cannot defend you because you have admitted fault. The new meta that is going around is cancelled people saying that they are persecuted and how unfair it is. This is what Gina Carano did and I'm sure everyone else will follow.

CyricZ
1 month ago#426
hamstar posted...
Apologies don't won't. You just get punished harder for admitting your fault
First off, neither of these statements are supported by your example.

Now as to the matter of Mr. Katai,

As a general rule, I do not at all support holding a relative accountable for the sins of another relative. Parent to child, brother to sister, and so on.

It's a bit different with spouses. These are people that were chosen. These people came together because of their compatibility (ostensibly). That said, even then, for more innocuous stuff, I'm not going to hold a husband accountable for the statements of his wife.

But there's the fact that Mrs. Katai's Insta posts were some outright VILE s***. Like this is a 90+/100 on the racism scale. There is no deliberation on whether there was misinterpretation. Mere days after Floyd's death, she was saying this.

So there's that on the table.

And now let's consider the following:

https://www.hottimeinoldtown.com/2020/6/12/21289153/after-cj-sapong-weighed-in-its-time-to-stop-defending-aleksandar-katai

Is this opinions and observations by one teammate? Absolutely, but it lays the groundwork that it's entirely possible that the LA Galaxy knew things internally about Katai that the public was not privy to, that they would not want the public to know.

Also he's certainly not in the "life ruined" bucket. He's playing for the Serbian National Team right now.

Sure that one certainly looks bad at a glance, but dig a little deeper into things like timing, severity, and what's not being said by the organization, and things start to become more clear.

Still thanks for bringing him up. It led to me learning a lot more about the situation and now I feel more clear on it.
CyricZ He/him

hamstar
1 month ago#427
The soccer player was just one example. There are hundreds of examples you can Google where one apologizes for their actions and continually gets persecuted for it. Apologizing doesn't work.

The principle reason being the people asking for it are not actually interested in your apology. They want some combination of dopamine hits from inflicting pain and replacing you with another that would be more helpful to their cause. An apology is insufficient for these deranged individuals, therefore they do not work.

CyricZ
1 month ago#428
Sorry I don't accept that. I think that's your personal projection onto the situation.

It's your claim that apologies don't work so you're going to have to be the one to provide the examples.
CyricZ He/him

User Info: karnage87

karnage87
1 month ago#429
Honestly - Katal's family made horrendous comments - likely causing a disruption in the workplace and upsetting managers and colleagues in a job where teamwork is fundamental, and on top of that risking an impact to Galaxy's bottom line.

If not Galaxy, who do you think should be making the decision as to retaining his services? Why do they not get the free speech to say 'you're fired'?

I don't believe 'married to a c**t' is a protected characteristic under the California state law.
NOBODY is gonna rest in peace.. UNTIL YOU'VE PAID ALL YOUR TAXES!

User Info: Torgo

Torgo
1 month ago#430
MajesticFerret posted...
Crowder and Shapiro seem to have perfectly functional platforms on Liberal leaning sites because they know how to express their opinions without engaging in hate speech.

Torgo posted...
What liberal leaning sites are you talking about specifically?

MajesticFerret posted...
Twitter and YouTube. Facebook is mostly used for connecting with family members so it's less of an outreach platform but it would be included in the big 3.

So... big corporate sites where the ownership really lean more right, but you have to dishonestly label as "leaning left" to try and make your point.

Also, this is what the right wing talking point about "big tech" being leftist is trying to push to some degree, but in reality those platforms are motivated by capitalism AKA: profit motive.

Nice try, but I wasn't going to let you slip that one past.
I hate what the republican party has turned this country into in order to retain power.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. "cancel culture" is the marketplace of ideas simply rejecting yours
  • Topic Archived