This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. "cancel culture" is the marketplace of ideas simply rejecting yours

User Info: Torgo

Torgo
1 month ago#1
Conservatives love to complian about cancel culture, it's become their new ideological culture war issue. It was even the featured topic of this years CPAC.

Cancel culture they say, is the "leftist woke mob" preventing them from practicing free speech. They claim it's about cancelling their ideas and silencing unpopular points of view... are they right? Is this a valid concern?

Before you answer that, let's take a look at another popular conservative mantra from a few years earlier: The Marketplace of Ideas.

The "marketplace of ideas" is the concept that both individuals and movements put their ideas up for discussion and debate, and those that become adopted by the greater culture and public consciousness are the winners and therefore: the superior ideas whether factually correct and ethical or not. Rush Limbaugh being the only option on a monopoly of conservative owned radio stations across large portions of America is a good example of how this worked for them.

This worked well for conservatives throughout the bulk of my life and certainly the post Reagan "neoliberal" era, but then something changed:

Critique of capitalism, tolerance for LGBT people, acknowledgement of systemic racism, body acceptance, anti-bullying, the me too movement, and many other leftist ideas started gaining traction. These ideas started to win out in the marketplace of ideas.

For example: Conservatives felt their ability to keep shows acknowledging positive gay characters off network TV falter and fade away. The reality that some entire police departments were engaging in excessive violence against communities of color was no longer something the news could not address.

In other words, the very cultural model that conservatives relied upon within capitalism to ensure they would have the bigger microphone - no longer works as intended. They find themselves on the outside looking in on the very "marketplace of ideas" they built to silence the left, and so they invented a new term to make themselves into the victims rather than admit they lost: cancel culture

I hate what the republican party has turned this country into in order to retain power.

User Info: ROOTFayth

ROOTFayth
1 month ago#2
seems to be a bit more than rejecting ideas, at least for content creator it feels like they need to be absolutely flawless human beings otherwise they are likely to get canceled

User Info: Starforge

Starforge
1 month ago#3
It is literally they can’t handle being held accountable for their viewpoints.

User Info: Nitro378

Nitro378
1 month ago#4
ROOTFayth posted...
seems to be a bit more than rejecting ideas, at least for content creator it feels like they need to be absolutely flawless human beings otherwise they are likely to get canceled

I doesn't take that much effort to not be racist or dress up like a Nazi
Why is it only called class war when we fight back? https://youtu.be/fUuK6JtP7xA
Number of 30-day suspensions for attacking Zionism: 3

User Info: Torgo

Torgo
1 month ago#5
ROOTFayth posted...

Can you provide an example of this?

Here's examples of the left being cancelled:

• Sinead O' Conner (singer) - tore up a picture of the Pope on Saturday Night Live after a performance. It more or less ended her career as a pop star.
  • The Dixie Chicks (country music band) - Criticized the Bush administration's forever war in Iraq. Their careers never recovered and many radio stations (most are owned by conservative clear channel (now Iheart) refused to play them.
  • Phil Donahue - had a news talk show cancelled when he started criticizing the march to war in Iraq.

I hate what the republican party has turned this country into in order to retain power.

User Info: GEKGanon

GEKGanon
1 month ago#6
Nitro378 posted...
I doesn't take that much effort to not be racist or dress up like a Nazi

Or at least to try to be accountable. s***, Prince Harry dressed as a Nazi for a Halloween party, and he didn't get cancelled, because he actually apologized for it. Its amazing what a difference that makes, rather than doubling down, calling everyone names, blaming "cancel culture", and generally being unashamed of poor choices.
Steam Name: gekganon

User Info: ahoythere4

ahoythere4
1 month ago#7
I just want to start spray painting dicks on these peoples' homes and when they complain I can just go "DON'T CENSOR ME, CANCEL CULTURE!!! REEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"
"I'm sick and tired of all these career pilots. What we need is an aviation outsider to fly this plane!"

User Info: _____Cait

_____Cait
1 month ago#8
Dont rape women.
dont say the n word
dont try to kill people

problem solved.
ORAS secret base: http://imgur.com/V9nAVrd
3DS friend code: 0173-1465-1236

User Info: GEKGanon

GEKGanon
1 month ago#9
_____Cait posted...
Dont rape women.
dont say the n word
dont try to kill people

problem solved.

Did you just give people the "ok" to rape men?
Steam Name: gekganon
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. "cancel culture" is the marketplace of ideas simply rejecting yours
  • Topic Archived