This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. South Korea signs defense agreement with China because U.S pissed them off.

User Info: Unknown831

Unknown831
2 weeks ago#1
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/18/china-signs-defence-agreement-south-korea-us-angers-seoul-demand/

Seoul’s announcement coincided with growing resentment at the $5 billion (£3.9bn) annual fee that Washington is demanding to keep 28,500 US troops in South Korea.
That figure is a sharp increase from the $923 million that Seoul paid this year, which was an 8 per cent increase on the previous year.

On the sidelines of regional security talks in Bangkok on Sunday, Jeong Kyeong-doo, the South Korean minister of defence, and his Chinese counterpart, Wei Fenghe, agreed to set up more military hotlines and to push ahead with a visit by Mr Jeong to China next year to “foster bilateral exchanges and cooperation in defence”, South Korea’s defence ministry said.

Mr Trump has previously threatened to withdraw US troops if his demands are not met, with the editorial accusing the president of regarding the Korea-US mutual defence treaty “as a property deal to make money”.

The vast majority of Koreans agree, with a recent survey by the Korea Institute for National Reunification showing that 96 per cent of people are opposed to Seoul paying more for the US military presence.

Daniel Pinkston, a professor of international relations at the Seoul campus of Troy University, was more blunt in his assessment.
“It’s just extortion”, he told The Telegraph. “It’s little more than a mob boss going around and demanding protection money. The numbers that the US is demanding are politically impossible for Seoul and Tokyo to swallow and that is just fuelling resentment."

Losing, it's what Trump and his supporters do.

User Info: DK DeathKnight

DK DeathKnight
2 weeks ago#2
US-Europe Relations at a low point? Check.
US-Asia Relations at a low point? Check.
US-Central America Relations at a low point? Check.
US-North America Relations at a low point? Check.
Liberals spited and triggered? Check.

Fair, Next. Even the South Koreans are not blind to the fact that Trump threatens others for personal profit. Yikes.
PSN: CrowsZero_
Playing: League of Legends, Tokiden: Kiwami, Bloodborne.

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
2 weeks ago#3
The rest of the world is respecting us so much that I can't even handle all of it!
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

User Info: SunburnCostanza

SunburnCostanza
2 weeks ago#4
The art of the deal
http://i.imgur.com/xUxeltw.jpg

User Info: FeatherrineAuAu

FeatherrineAuAu
2 weeks ago#5
this seems like some weird backwards way to get the US out of SK. Like I know drumpf wants to leave SK and Japan in the dust...but I never really understood why. Is the military industrial complex aching to sell weapons to these folks? We all know lockheed martin makes most of their money by indirectly blowing up yemeni children.

User Info: dotsdfe

dotsdfe
2 weeks ago#6
It's honestly pretty amazing how hard one idiot can totally crash years of ongoing relations and alliances. I had thought that we were set up enough to endure with stuff like that, but it's not looking like it. I suppose I shouldn't underestimate just how damaging that one idiot can be.
Winner of the Third Hacked User Contest.
World's #1 Phoenix Wright fan.

User Info: Son Of Spam

Son Of Spam
2 weeks ago#7
DK DeathKnight posted...

Fair, Next. Even the South Koreans are not blind to the fact that Trump threatens others for personal profit. Yikes.

Hey, Russia thinks we're cool at least.
15 years on Gamefaqs, and I still don't have a signature.

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
2 weeks ago#8
Son Of Spam posted...
DK DeathKnight posted...

Hey, Russia thinks we're cool at least.

That was mean.
Taxes, death, and trouble.
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!

User Info: Destin

Destin
2 weeks ago#9
dotsdfe posted...
It's honestly pretty amazing how hard one idiot can totally crash years of ongoing relations and alliances. I had thought that we were set up enough to endure with stuff like that, but it's not looking like it. I suppose I shouldn't underestimate just how damaging that one idiot can be.

don't put it all on one idiot, millions of other idiots put that one idiot there.
Destin the Valiant

User Info: hivebent4life

hivebent4life
2 weeks ago#10
B-b-but it was Obama who caused other nations to disrespect us!
~Hivebent4Life
3DS FC: 5069-3910-2647
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. South Korea signs defense agreement with China because U.S pissed them off.
  • Topic Archived