This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. At what point does comedy become hate speech ? (South Park related)

User Info: sevihaimerej

sevihaimerej
3 weeks ago#81
SaikyoStyle posted...
It seems to me that it’s what people who are transphobic imagine when they hear of a male to female trans person competing in women’s sports.
Exactly. Connect that with the attempted gatekeeping in the other storyline and that's essentially my take on it. It's a satire of both sides of the outrage spectrum via an exaggeration of their beliefs.
https://imgtc.com/Y8ojZ3x

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
3 weeks ago#82
SaikyoStyle posted...
It seems to me that it’s what people who are transphobic imagine when they hear of a male to female trans person competing in women’s sports.

EDIT: they also seem to think a male athlete would transition in order to win a women’s athletic competition, which always struck me as funny.

Yeah, and the episode has Randy Savage doing that.
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
3 weeks ago#83
ArtiRock posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...

EDIT: they also seem to think a male athlete would transition in order to win a women’s athletic competition, which always struck me as funny.

Yeah, and the episode has Randy Savage doing that.

Right. They’re taking the stupid thing that stupid people think and showing how stupid it is.
Taxes, death, and trouble.
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!
the final bahamut 3 weeks ago#84
ArtiRock posted...

1) It's a lie.

Why would I lie to "win" an internet argument? That would be a special type of pathetic.

2) Female firefighters are in tip-top shape.

Not really, they're just in ok shape. Same thing with Male firefighters. Sure you get some that fit in a firefighter calendar but you get more who don't.

This means nothing, as the argument isn't that women can't be soldiers.

And yet your argument is also that the test isn't too high for men because it's the minimum level needed to be a soldier but also that this minimum level is too high for women. So your argument is that women aren't physically fit to be soldier but your argument isn't that women can't be soldiers.

3) Because it's not impossible?

That is not a valid answer to any of the points raised.

FYI, the argument isn't women can't lift people. As whether they can or can't doesn't change that men can do this better.

Your argument was that the men's test was valid because it was the needed minimum to be a soldier. You then claimed that this minimum was needed because soldiers needed to carry a downed soldier. You also stated that the minimum was lower for women because it was too high for men. Therefore it follows that you don't think that women in general cannot carry a downed soldier as they cannot meet the Male tests which you established minimum for this.
Sorry, but one of the drawbacks to flailing around - which fyi, you are - is that you don't really understand what you're saying.

Only if you absolutely lie down like a plank.

Which is generally what happens when someone twice your size and width lands flat on top of you. As was the situation in question.
not twice her height though, she's about 5 foot, he's 6 foot 2", so about 20% longer.

And this doesn't even begin to explain anything that I said.

Well, no, its not really my job to explain your flailing. It did, however address your assertion that women lack the endurance to carry someone for a prolonged amount of time, ie, perform strenuous physical activity for a prolonged length of time.

Because it isn't relevant. Because they still have to maintain status. Especially when on active duty.

Your inability to understand where I'm going with this isn't a counter argument. It just makes you seem insecure when you won't answer a very simple question.

You have one last chance to make an argument that isn't stupid.

And you lost yours about 3 posts ago. But hey, I'm still here giving you chances.
"The US military is not an effective proxy for humanity" ~ Folding Ideas
Faciendere id pro RAVz
the final bahamut 3 weeks ago#85
SaikyoStyle posted...

Okay, how does the episode confront the viewer with the fact that this is obviously a horrendously dumb proposal that has nothing to do with reality rather than a comedic ally exaggerated version of reality?

Again, I urge you to use the text to support your argument because all you've done here is essentially to go "my interpretation is that the text says X because X is what i think it says".
Faciendere id pro RAVz
the final bahamut 3 weeks ago#86
sevihaimerej posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...
Exactly. Connect that with the attempted gatekeeping in the other storyline and that's essentially my take on it. It's a satire of both sides of the outrage spectrum via an exaggeration of their beliefs.

Again, use your words. Justify your claims. You can't just go "there's a b-plot" you have to put into words how the b-plot supports your point.
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: RoyalDroneX

RoyalDroneX
3 weeks ago#87
BrightShield786 posted...
Offensive speech is just free speech, and the exact type of speech that the first amendment was designed to protect.

yeah tell that to Scientology
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9017-6003 NID:TheChoujinVirus
Switch FC: SW-5068-7679-1687

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
3 weeks ago#88
the final bahamut posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...

Okay, how does the episode confront the viewer with the fact that this is obviously a horrendously dumb proposal that has nothing to do with reality rather than a comedic ally exaggerated version of reality?

Again, I urge you to use the text to support your argument because all you've done here is essentially to go "my interpretation is that the text says X because X is what i think it says".

Do you mean how does the episode convey that the mindset I described is stupid and wrong? Because that’s largely left to the viewers to figure out on their own, even though most of them won’t.
Taxes, death, and trouble.
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!
the final bahamut 3 weeks ago#89
SaikyoStyle posted...
the final bahamut posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...

Do you mean how does the episode convey that the mindset I described is stupid and wrong? Because that’s largely left to the viewers to figure out on their own, even though most of them won’t.

Simply pointing out that macho man randy savage is being the "fake transwoman" supports both the reading you are proposing ("The conservative ideas about transwoman is ridiculous, here's an exaggerated version why") and the straight conservaderp reading ("Allowing transwoman into women's sports is ridiculous, here's why") as such, it would support your argument to show other points in the story supporting your reading. Your friend talked about the b-plot, you could start there.

Also, given that the showrunners have a history of portraying transwomen as delusional men in dresses on multiple occasions, have a history of describing gender-reassignment-surgery as mutilation and portraying transgender identity as invalid - including in earnesty making the "trans-racial" and "trans-species" argument - it is in no way a given that the authorial intent is not one hostile to trans folk.
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: WarDog2016

WarDog2016
3 weeks ago#90
Bahamut is a sad panda.
Never go full Matt Lauer. Mmmmmkay, thanks.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. At what point does comedy become hate speech ? (South Park related)
  • Topic Archived