This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. At what point does comedy become hate speech ? (South Park related)
the final bahamut 2 weeks ago#71
SaikyoStyle posted...
the final bahamut posted...
Dynedux posted...
Yeah the episode wasn't actually a satire about trans people.

Okay, what is it a satire about?

I think it’s satirizing people who think this is what all trans people are and pretend to give a s*** about women’s sports so that they can spew hatred towards them with a thin veneer of legitimacy.

And how does the episode do that?
"The US military is not an effective proxy for humanity" ~ Folding Ideas
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: sevihaimerej

sevihaimerej
2 weeks ago#72
No, please, go ahead. I have come to my conclusion. I'm asking you to explain it. I'm doing so because I honestly don't think you can. I think you watched it and then you went "haha" because the funny cartoon made rude jokes and that was funny. The you saw people complain about it, and because of the way people commune with media these days, you felt as though it was an attack on your values. You saw people say that something you liked was bad and perceive it as though because of it [they were saying] you were bad, and because that is not comfortable feeling you engaged in an automated defence mechanism: pretending that the people who had a complaint just "didn't get it". You haven't formulated what the actual get is, just that you have it because you liked it and people who didn't just didn't. I'm stating all this because I want to trigger you into formulating an actual explanation because talking to a defence mechanism is boring.
C'mon, this should be easy. It's a PC babies episode, the joke is on excess political correctness. Explain how tf you came to the conclusion the joke is on trans people?
https://imgtc.com/Y8ojZ3x

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
2 weeks ago#73
SaikyoStyle posted...
Dynedux posted...

I think it’s satirizing people who think this is what all trans people are and pretend to give a s*** about women’s sports so that they can spew hatred towards them with a thin veneer of legitimacy.

By presenting a trans athlete as Macho King Randy Savage.
Taxes, death, and trouble.
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!
the final bahamut 2 weeks ago#74
ArtiRock posted...
If you honestly think you're winning or getting a reaction I feel bad for you:/

No. He's not humoring someone that can't make coherent arguments and stick to what was said, and instead makes up their own arguments for what people say and then "counters" that.

See you say that, but you're literally not responding to most of my questions and points.
It's hard to take you seriously when you're doing this.
Faciendere id pro RAVz
the final bahamut 2 weeks ago#75
SaikyoStyle posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...
Dynedux posted...

How does that support the reading you propose? What other aspects of the text supports you reading.
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: sevihaimerej

sevihaimerej
2 weeks ago#76
Episode has 2 thematically related storylines, connect them and you will see
https://imgtc.com/Y8ojZ3x

User Info: crowkillers

crowkillers
2 weeks ago#77
If I remember correctly, wasn't the "Macho Man" themed character only identifying as a woman to get revenge on Strong Woman because they use to date each other..?

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
2 weeks ago#78
Okay. Then explain my 80 lbs grandma lifting my 200 lbs grandpa. Explain female firefighters and female EMT workers - you know people who also have to be able to lift unconscious people. Hell, explain female elderly care nurses who regularly deal with lifting, shifting, rolling and otherwise manipulating people. The reason that nurses have strict limits on lifting old people is not because a female nurse can't lift an obese man, it was because nurses were lifting people so much that they ended up getting worn down by it in their 50s.
Because here's the thing; your argument is in denial of actual observable fact. It's not a good argument.

1) It's a lie.
2) Female firefighters are in tip-top shape. This means nothing, as the argument isn't that women can't be soldiers.
3) Because it's not impossible?
FYI, the argument isn't women can't lift people. As whether they can or can't doesn't change that men can do this better.

Your right, it's actually harder because you can't position yourself right, have extremely reduced leverage and may have one or more limbs trapped.

Only if you absolutely lie down like a plank.

Do you really need me to explain to you that female long-distance runners, climbers and other endurance sports enthusiasts are exceedingly common? Are you really unaware that it's extremely common for women to run marathons?
See, the thing is: Humans are actually speckled for endurance. It's one of humanity's few strengths. We have a modified gait, we have sweat glands, we have reduced insulation, we have all these nifty little things to allow for extreme endurance even at just reasonable fitness. And that sort of endurance is actually not tested by most fitness tests. Your argument on bodybuilding demonstrates a basic misunderstanding about what training is. The point of weight training is muscle exhaustion. The point of physical work is exactly the opposite of that. That's why things work quite differently. Most heavy duty body builders have a level of strength that is superfluous to soldiering. It doesn't really help them and it just makes their body burn more energy. A body like the Rock's has a bunch of liabilities for soldiering which is why if he went into the army he'd probably lose a significant amount of muscle mass and be better for it.

And this doesn't even begin to explain anything that I said.

People have endurance. Okay. This... Doesn't actually counter anything that I've said. Absolutely nothing. the final bahamut posted...
I'm asking you when the tests happen relative to boot camp and why that might be relevant. You, on the other hand, have started talking about asthma and muscle idiots who don't know cardio is important (and who probably skip leg day) in a discussion about fit, healthy women. You are doing this because you have lost you ground and you're flailing.

Because it isn't relevant. Because they still have to maintain status. Especially when on active duty.

You have one last chance to make an argument that isn't stupid.
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.
the final bahamut 2 weeks ago#79
sevihaimerej posted...
No, please, go ahead. I have come to my conclusion. I'm asking you to explain it. I'm doing so because I honestly don't think you can. I think you watched it and then you went "haha" because the funny cartoon made rude jokes and that was funny. The you saw people complain about it, and because of the way people commune with media these days, you felt as though it was an attack on your values. You saw people say that something you liked was bad and perceive it as though because of it [they were saying] you were bad, and because that is not comfortable feeling you engaged in an automated defence mechanism: pretending that the people who had a complaint just "didn't get it". You haven't formulated what the actual get is, just that you have it because you liked it and people who didn't just didn't. I'm stating all this because I want to trigger you into formulating an actual explanation because talking to a defence mechanism is boring.
C'mon, this should be easy. It's a PC babies episode, the joke is on excess political correctness. Explain how tf you came to the conclusion the joke is on trans people?

So you can't even give me an explanation to protect your own ego? You're really going with "no u answer first"? If you can't answer the question I'm going to assume that my original impression of you are correct and I'm going to stop talking to you. As I said: I don't want to talk to a defence mechanism.
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
2 weeks ago#80
SaikyoStyle posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...
Dynedux posted...

How does that support the reading you propose? What other aspects of the text supports you reading.

It seems to me that it’s what people who are transphobic imagine when they hear of a male to female trans person competing in women’s sports.

EDIT: they also seem to think a male athlete would transition in order to win a women’s athletic competition, which always struck me as funny.
Taxes, death, and trouble.
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. At what point does comedy become hate speech ? (South Park related)
  • Topic Archived