This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. At what point does comedy become hate speech ? (South Park related)

User Info: Villain_S_Fiend

Villain_S_Fiend
2 weeks ago#101
BrightShield786 posted...
Offensive speech is just free speech, and the exact type of speech that the first amendment was designed to protect.

My favorite thing about this post is that it's not even a response to the question posed by the TC.
The food here is awful. My steak was so tough, halfway through my meal it got up and attacked my coffee and the coffee was too weak to defend itself.

User Info: carljenk

carljenk
2 weeks ago#102
Bigpoppapump1 posted...
carljenk posted...
Bigpoppapump1 posted...
WarDog2016 posted...
Bigpoppapump1 posted...
Cancel culture trying to cancel south park?

We live in an age of where just because it hurts someones feelings, it shouldn't exist.

Multiple decades late.

late to what

I assume he means to cancel south park.

Oh yeah I remember that episode of Wheel of fortune where the clue was "Things that annoy you" and there was some outrage over it. It usually blows over for sure but with how cancel culture has gotten these days, who knows if it's possible or not.

That was one of the more funny episodes imo but my favorite was definitely the World of Warcraft one.

Honestly I think the cancel depends on whether the ratings dip to much more than the controversy for south park. I don't think this is going to affect South Park's core base. They've been here throughout all the controversies including the ones you've mentioned. It would be crazy to cancel them for this.

They haven't even touched the Israel Palestine conflict. Imagine how many people they'd piss off from even touching that...
Sorry if my posts make you feel emotional. It is not my intent.
Make America Nazi-Free Again. #NoMoreNazis #Wolf2

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
2 weeks ago#103
The great thing about cancel culture is that if you ignore it, it eventually moves on to its next target of reflexive outrage.
Taxes, death, and trouble.
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!

User Info: EliteGuard99

EliteGuard99
2 weeks ago#104
SaikyoStyle posted...
ArtiRock posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...
It seems to me that it’s what people who are transphobic imagine when they hear of a male to female trans person competing in women’s sports.

EDIT: they also seem to think a male athlete would transition in order to win a women’s athletic competition, which always struck me as funny.

Yeah, and the episode has Randy Savage doing that.

Right. They’re taking the stupid thing that stupid people think and showing how stupid it is.

The problem is that they’re so stupid that they think South Park is agreeing with them instead of mocking them for their stupidity and gullibility.
"The devil's greatest trick was convincing the world that being nice was 'giving in to political correctness'".
the final bahamut 2 weeks ago#105
SaikyoStyle posted...
The great thing about cancel culture is that if you ignore it, it eventually moves on to its next target of reflexive outrage.

The actual thing about cancel culture is that it doesn't really have the power to cancel anything.
"The US military is not an effective proxy for humanity" ~ Folding Ideas
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: WarDog2016

WarDog2016
2 weeks ago#106
the final bahamut posted...
much like how the return of manbearpig contained no real confrontation about how their previous stance had been harmful to the discourse and had been very conservative and anti-science.

You dont think how people kept getting murdered while the police investigated everything except global warming/manbearbig was any kind of message. Hmmm, okay, interesting take.
Never go full Matt Lauer. Mmmmmkay, thanks.

User Info: hak145

hak145
2 weeks ago#107
when it crosses from areas of satire and poking fun to outright slander and derogatory.
Gamertag XL: CRAZYjump, PSN: CRAZIERjump
Winner: Dark Souls.....2, Honorable Mentions: Fallout 3, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, Bioshock
the final bahamut 2 weeks ago#108
WarDog2016 posted...
the final bahamut posted...
much like how the return of manbearpig contained no real confrontation about how their previous stance had been harmful to the discourse and had been very conservative and anti-science.

You dont think how people kept getting murdered while the police investigated everything except global warming/manbearbig was any kind of message. Hmmm, okay, interesting take.

It was a message that global warming is real and that conservatives are idiots for not admitting it. But I wasn't saying they didn't reverse their stance, what I was slagging them for was that they didn't really accept any responsibility for their own role in the discourse.
That's one of the things that initially turned me off south park. Matt and Trey have a continual habit of not owning their s***.
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: Phoro

Phoro
2 weeks ago#109
The Conservative reading isn't my reading. I don't really think it's Parker's either. I think that, for better or worse, people like Parker (and Chapelle, who was also invoked in this topic) find certain things, like transgenderism, inherently funny... Yet they aren't actually transphobic. In that I mean they support the rights of trans people wholeheartedly (Chapelle, for instance, came to a complete stop mid-routine to straight up tell his audience he's absolutely pro trans rights) but they just can't resist what they see as the low-hanging fruit in making fun of them. We saw this same kind of thing throughout the 80's and 90's stand up comedy circuit with regard to gay people. I'm not saying that this makes it all okay, but I am saying that there's a difference between what these comedians are doing and what the people who actively try to legislatively oppress the LGBTQ communities are doing. If we can't at least agree on that much, then we just won't be able to move anywhere in this conversation I'm afraid.

In any case, yes, both Strong Woman and PC Principal retain their belief that transwomen should be able to compete with other females throughout the episode. That never even comes into question as far as I remember. Strong Woman has sort of an inner turmoil about "Heather", because she knows exactly what Macho Man is doing but doesn't want to rock the boat on the issue because she knows it's a dumb f***ing battle that's not worth fighting. She remains the bigger person throughout the storyline, and again, the only "type" of person who comes out looking like garbage is the overly-competitive, toxically masculine, sore-loser man child.

Anecdotally, I just want to add (yeah, grain of salt and all that) that my very close personal friend, a currently-transitioning transwoman, found the episode funny as f*** and not the least bit offensive to her sensibilities. For me, that says enough.
You all betray me.
I fed up with this wurld.
the final bahamut 2 weeks ago#110
Phoro; Your entire first paragraph is a whole... thing. I'm too tired to start addressing it now without being snappy in a way that would be unfair, but I'll try to follow up on it.

Suffice to say that if a person pays lip service to the idea of trans rights, but in the same breath essentially call transpeople grotesque, mutilated freaks and kick them, they're not really an ally. "I'm not a homophobe, but" is exceedingly tired. "I support gay people's rights I just don't want them around me" is still a really homophobic stance, and what you're actually supporting isn't really gay rights, it's just your own perception of yourself as having the correct opinion. And by "you" I mean a figurative you, not you the person I'm talking to.
Faciendere id pro RAVz
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. At what point does comedy become hate speech ? (South Park related)
  • Topic Archived