This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. At what point does comedy become hate speech ? (South Park related)

User Info: 600k

2 weeks ago#11
Go watch something else then.

User Info: Hyena 20

Hyena 20
2 weeks ago#12
the final bahamut posted...
South park has a long and shameful history of transphobia and verbal trans bashing. There's no ambiguity about it, it's not clever, it's not satire, it's comedy that relies on the viewer agreeing that trans people aren't valid. That you are trying to be funny doesn't stop your hate speech from being hate speech.

That said, South Park exists so that the creators can be intentionally offensive for the sake of being offensive and give the middle finger to "political correctness" and "feelings" while trying to make socio-economic points-- which probably isn't a good idea to mix together.
Meet Captain Euro, the coolest superhero this side of Aquaman!~~Portal of Evil
[Disillusioned Independent]

User Info: Hyena 20

Hyena 20
2 weeks ago#13
Anarchy_Juiblex posted...
What is hate speech?

Something that the United States is one of the few nations in the world not to have. How pathetic is that? Only. One. Country. And yet we're still one of the most authoritarian industrialized countries when it comes to press freedom and whistleblowers. WTF?!?!
Meet Captain Euro, the coolest superhero this side of Aquaman!~~Portal of Evil
[Disillusioned Independent]

User Info: PreacherBeelze

PreacherBeelze
2 weeks ago#14
You can say what you want, but I agree with George Carlin in regards to “punching down” in comedy.

Trans people are people, just like any other, their particular strife is a little harder for many other people to develop any sense of empathy about it... I’m not offended by the South Park espies ode, but in reality, I think if the bottom line of your joke is “these people are all stupid and or crazy” chances are it’s just not that great of a joke...

Again though, say what you want, you can... it’s fine, but people can say what they want in return, and sometimes it’s things you don’t want to hear... like “I won’t pay money to see that guy” or “I won’t watch anything with that guy on it, and don’t want to support them in any way whatsoever”... you can... like an idiot... when say, a venue decides to side with those people... misinterpret people’s free speech and autonomy as “censorship”... but that’s stupid.

anyhow, the line? Is pretty simple for me... good comedy requires a degree of empathy, even if “edgy”... and if your comedy requires taking a tiny % of the population and further reducing them into a caricature... chances are you’re lacking empathy... empathy is understanding, good comedy requires a degree of understanding that just doesn’t work well when you’re punching down.
I'm a painter, http://m.imgur.com/BNh6Uzk

User Info: Dynedux

Dynedux
2 weeks ago#15
Show of hands, who actually watched the show?
The idea of "doxxing" is idiotic. Why should anyone be able to hide behind the anonymity of the internet?-AndreLeGeant

User Info: TonyKojima

TonyKojima
2 weeks ago#16
Wait southpark is still a thing? LOL
Though the XBOX 360 is good in theory, it's hardware limitations say otherwise - Hideo Kojima

User Info: ArtiRock

ArtiRock
2 weeks ago#17
Bullet_Wing posted...
There's a damn good reason fitness tests have lower standards for women than men.

No there isn't.
If the fitness test are the minimum physical capabilities you need to serve, then there's no reason for it to be lower. If it isn't then there's no justification for the test.

Fine. I suppose you'd be fine with less women in the army then. Because the minimum is what men can do.

To be quite frank, women on average simply aren't as useful on the infantry front.
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.

User Info: goooooBills

goooooBills
2 weeks ago#18
Never? That's why it's comedy lol.
You have ZERO plausible deniability. -wordsmith on GFAQs

User Info: TonyKojima

TonyKojima
2 weeks ago#19
Hyena 20 posted...
South park has a long and shameful history of transphobia and verbal trans bashing. There's no ambiguity about it, it's not clever, it's not satire, it's comedy that relies on the viewer agreeing that trans people aren't valid. That you are trying to be funny doesn't stop your hate speech from being hate speech.

That said, South Park exists so that the creators can be intentionally offensive for the sake of being offensive and give the middle finger to "political correctness" and "feelings" while trying to make socio-economic points-- which probably isn't a good idea to mix together.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are morons and always have been.
Though the XBOX 360 is good in theory, it's hardware limitations say otherwise - Hideo Kojima

User Info: BrightShield786

BrightShield786
2 weeks ago#20
Hyena 20 posted...
Something that the United States is one of the few nations in the world not to have. How pathetic is that?
Freedom of Speech is pathetic?
"Hey, lady, I put the kiddies to sleep. Permanently." - Yuri Hyuga - Shadow Hearts
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. At what point does comedy become hate speech ? (South Park related)
  • Topic Archived