This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Does alt-science, alt-math, and alt-history deserve a platform?

User Info: Gumbotron

Gumbotron
2 weeks ago#61
Romes187 posted...
I am not speaking out of turn here.

The way you argue my positions tells me you kind of are... calm down, read, and don't start with "this post is just wrong..."

eg:
me: Math is very self-defined.
you: This is wrong. Pure Math is as self defined as we can get it, but there are literal gaps that anyone who studies the subject knows.

I've said nothing of gaps and am quite fond of Godels.

User Info: Hyena 20

Hyena 20
2 weeks ago#62
Wait, WTF is alt-math, anyway?
Meet Captain Euro, the coolest superhero this side of Aquaman!~~Portal of Evil
[Disillusioned Independent]

User Info: Wewillrocku

Wewillrocku
2 weeks ago#63
no of course not to op, we don't need people pushing things like alt-science.
The american prison system is a sorry mess but giving them game consoles isn't going to solve anything.
Zurriah

User Info: SuperInfinity46

SuperInfinity46
2 weeks ago#64
Gumbotron posted...
You've managed to miss the entire point I was trying to make.

No he didn't. He knew exactly what you meant and addressed it.

Gumbotron posted...
Math knows that their fundamental objects are abstract, don't exist and often makes zero sense to the laymen.

You are the laymen. In every sense of the word.

Gumbotron posted...
If numbers confused you, maybe having you try to find me a theoretical circle would be a better example.

Now we're onto the ludicrous strawmen phase, I'm out.

Thanks Romes187, I at least appreciate your posts here even if they go way above some people's heads.
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin

User Info: IShall_Run_Amok

IShall_Run_Amok
2 weeks ago#65
Hyena 20 posted...
Wait, WTF is alt-math, anyway?

"2 + 2 = (((globalists)))"

I assume.
Fair enough, but I think everything you said is wrong and I hate you and you're crazy.

User Info: MajesticFerret

MajesticFerret
2 weeks ago#66
Most rational sane people can filter through garbage and what isn't without needing to ban garbage all together.

So I wouldn't use the word "deserve" for a platform, but I don't think they need to be de-platformed either if they establish a platform.

Flat earthers, anti-vaccers, climate denialists, Holocaust deniers, 911 and moon landing conspirasts, etc. all have the right to say whatever crazy cult s*** they want to say, and if you buy into that cult s***, then the people buying in weren't that smart to begin with and good riddance.

By de-platforming these people, it looks like a deep state conspiracy to silence them and empowers their base. Allow them to speak openly so their ideas can be debunked and addressed openly. This is the better solution imo.
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get with it is rational thought, but with crazy the sky's the limit.

User Info: Block that Kick

Block that Kick
2 weeks ago#67
Does alt-science, alt-math, and alt-history deserve a platform?

Yes, on a server that you pay for.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.
(message deleted)

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 weeks ago#69
Scientific statements in general actually depend on a lot of factors.

For example, I have seen videos where science geeks have dropped 2 identical balls from an equal height and then asked people if the lighter or heavier ball will hit the ground first;
the assumed answer is that both of them will hit the ground at the same time, but that is incorrect, and this can be easily shown by simply using Newton's Second Law and actually taking air resistance into account, which a lot of people forget to do in those kinds of experiments.

If you want an extreme variant of this experiment, then try dropping a bowling ball and a balloon shaped roughly like a bowling ball from the same height.
Guess what, the bowling ball will hit the ground first.
I changed the signature again, trollolol.

User Info: SuperInfinity46

SuperInfinity46
2 weeks ago#70
Peter_19 posted...
Scientific statements in general actually depend on a lot of factors.

For example, I have seen videos where science geeks have dropped 2 identical balls from an equal height and then asked people if the lighter or heavier ball will hit the ground first;
the assumed answer is that both of them will hit the ground at the same time, but that is incorrect, and this can be easily shown by simply using Newton's Second Law and actually taking air resistance into account, which a lot of people forget to do in those kinds of experiments.

Good point.

Peter_19 posted...
If you want an extreme variant of this experiment, then try dropping a bowling ball and a balloon shaped roughly like a bowling ball from the same height.
Guess what, the bowling ball will hit the ground first.

That would be more due to Archimedes' Principle of buoyancy rather than air resistance though wouldn't it?

A helium balloon doesn't go upwards due to air resistance.
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Does alt-science, alt-math, and alt-history deserve a platform?
  • Topic Archived