This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Does alt-science, alt-math, and alt-history deserve a platform?

User Info: f38748293478324

f38748293478324
3 weeks ago#31
creativerealms posted...
Alt-science sadly has a platform as the right supports a lot of Alt science.

What that the fact that the polar ice caps aren't melting and they are SEASONAL changes in weather that can happen with chance alone?

User Info: SuperInfinity46

SuperInfinity46
3 weeks ago#32
Gumbotron posted...
SuperInfinity46 posted...
Finis-XII posted...
No such thing as "alt math". If you solve a problem and come up with a wrong answer, it's not alternative or alternatively correct, it's just wrong.

That's not true at all. Sometimes in higher math it's not that clear or provable. A common point of contention is whether some theory has been proven or not. Sometimes theories are accepted by some experts and rejected by other ones. There is plenty of room for disputes or arguing in math. Having alt math would be a very different take on a large part of math. Also it's odd how higher math sometimes turns into arguments about semantics or definitions.

Hell, alt math might be the one most susceptible and reasonable for having an alt branch. How infinities should be treated. How zero or approximating zero should be treated. Complex numbers, irrational numbers, and that's not even getting into the real advanced stuff.

but that's still math, isn't it? like, math math still encapsulates the study of those open problems. alt-math might just be declaring that Tree(3) = 100 because I got tired of coming up with examples.

That makes sense if you just intend on s***ting on the idea of "alt-anything" as some kind of brownie points for your political opinion. It has no relation to the meaning of alt anything.

The minority viewpoint, ie. alternative to the mainstream, has been proven right many times.
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
3 weeks ago#33
f38748293478324 posted...
creativerealms posted...

What that the fact that the polar ice caps aren't melting and they are SEASONAL changes in weather that can happen with chance alone?

See you support alt-science.
Occam's razor: The simplest solution (answer) is most likely the right one

User Info: f38748293478324

f38748293478324
3 weeks ago#34
creativerealms posted...
f38748293478324 posted...
creativerealms posted...

See you support alt-science.

Correct. And truth.

User Info: Gumbotron

Gumbotron
3 weeks ago#35
SuperInfinity46 posted...
That makes sense if you just intend on s***ting on the idea of "alt-anything" as some kind of brownie points for your political opinion. It has no relation to the meaning of alt anything.

The minority viewpoint, ie. alternative to the mainstream, has been proven right many times.

I'd give you that I kinda lost it there, but what would alt-math be? It can't be my fault that I can cite the bowling green masacare as alt-history. You'd really have to take it up with Kellyanne for alternative-facts. Or the overwhelming number fraud relating to alternative medicine.

Math is self-defined, and largely* consistent. It's actively being applied in engineering in the real world, and is measurably reliable. It's also very encompassing.

ps. I i was after brownie points, I would be 100% behind the HK protest. I'm not.

User Info: TheGleamEyes

TheGleamEyes
3 weeks ago#36
What does alt-science even mean?

Science by definition, can always change, in some instances radically, when new information is presented.

If you were to claim that the universe wasn't around 14 billion years old, but instead a billion years younger, you'd be laughed at (at least, before it turned out that it is)

I mean, that's how it was in 1999, and then again... in 2019

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/releases/1999/99_58AR.html

User Info: fsurb28

fsurb28
3 weeks ago#37
Inb4 another locked f clown topic hurr derrrr
PSN - fsulb10 / GT - Fsulb13
(message deleted)

User Info: thasan20

thasan20
3 weeks ago#39
Deserves an alt-platform like the bottom of a dumpster.
"50 Cent is just an alt account I use to troll the world." -T Mac

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
3 weeks ago#40
tl0_olt posted...
do worst than others.

Looks like you support alt grammar.
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Does alt-science, alt-math, and alt-history deserve a platform?
  • Topic Archived