This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Does alt-science, alt-math, and alt-history deserve a platform?

User Info: f38748293478324

f38748293478324
3 weeks ago#1
We have the freedom of speech and if there is scientific reasoning and facts behind something, then there's no reason to ban it based on feelings.

Progress must be made and we need new ideas or else what will happen in 2016 will happen again in 2020. We need to come together in 2020 and read the science and history behind what happened and if it involves "alt" sources, then so be it.

If you want to live in a world where 2+2 = 4 if and only if your feelings don't get hurt by by the number 4 then that's not a world I want to live in.

User Info: JOExHIGASHI

JOExHIGASHI
3 weeks ago#2
Agreed. Republicans should stop pushing creationism and anti vax.
Next Xbox will be named Xbox1 2
the final bahamut 3 weeks ago#3
... you know, you make that opening post and I am really not sure if you're a person on the left talking about the anti-science agenda on the right, or someone in the Ben Shapiro "Facts don't care about your feefees" coral who doesn't realize that the alt right and "rational" YouTube is entirely feels before reals.

But no, we shouldn't muddle up science or pretend the last 20 years of science doesn't exist just to appease old white men and young white men with an old mindset. Instead we should constantly hold the torch of science to our knowledge and set fire to the things that we thought we knew but were just flimsy cobwebs of prejudice and biased rather than hard facts. White Male Western bias has ruined so much good science and held us back for so long its insufferable. At this point it seems a small miracle that children aren't taught that 2+2=80085
"The US military is not an effective proxy for humanity" ~ Folding Ideas
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: IShall_Run_Amok

IShall_Run_Amok
3 weeks ago#4
No, right wing viewpoints have no place in a civilized society.
Fair enough, but I think everything you said is wrong and I hate you and you're crazy.

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
3 weeks ago#5
the final bahamut posted...
... you know, you make that opening post and I am really not sure if you're a person on the left talking about the anti-science agenda on the right, or someone

He's in the "gimmick poster" category.
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

User Info: LawnNinja

LawnNinja
3 weeks ago#6
Does alt-science, alt-math, and alt-history deserve a platform?
Alt-history gets plenty of exposure. Hell, the "History" Channel airs more alternative conspiracy shows now than it does actual historical documentaries.

As for "alt-math" and "alt-science", I have no clue what that would even mean besides "wrong math" and "wrong science". If other researchers can't follow the procedure of your math/science and produce the same results, then it's bad math/science (i.e. wrong).

f38748293478324 posted...
We have the freedom of speech and if there is scientific reasoning and facts behind something, then there's no reason to ban it based on feelings.
There is no scientific reasoning or factual evidence for "alt-science" ideas like intelligent design and the anti-vaccine cult. One is an unfalsifiable claim of faith, and the other is a fearmongering scheme for chiropractors to sell supplement pills to idiots. Neither has a place in a public classroom, but they're in no way "banned".

You're perfectly free to peddle your "alt" ideas on the internet, in books and magazines, on television, in church, to friends and family, to strangers out and about, and anywhere else you please that isn't a public school. Just because you can't force teachers to teach your "alt" ideas to school students doesn't mean those ideas are "banned".

"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
the final bahamut 3 weeks ago#7
Heineken14 posted...
the final bahamut posted...
... you know, you make that opening post and I am really not sure if you're a person on the left talking about the anti-science agenda on the right, or someone

He's in the "gimmick poster" category.

Oh, he's that child with the alt accounts. Sorry, didn't read the name of the TC.
"The US military is not an effective proxy for humanity" ~ Folding Ideas
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: f38748293478324

f38748293478324
3 weeks ago#8
If you guys want the same thing to happen in 2016 that happened in 2020, then keep on the road you're going. Sometimes what isn't taught is the most important lesson of all.

User Info: LawnNinja

LawnNinja
3 weeks ago#9
f38748293478324 posted...
If you guys want the same thing to happen in 2016 that happened in 2020, then keep on the road you're going. Sometimes what isn't taught is the most important lesson of all.
Agreed. Like how our slavish devotion to market capitalism is destroying our planet, alienating us from each other, and increasing the destabilizing inequality that will eventually result in tragedy. That lesson is never taught.

But it isn't banned, either.
"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

User Info: Finis-XII

Finis-XII
3 weeks ago#10
No such thing as "alt math". If you solve a problem and come up with a wrong answer, it's not alternative or alternatively correct, it's just wrong.

Same with saying the earth is flat, or 6000 years old, or that evolution or climate change doesn't exist isn't alternative, it's just junk science.
"This close, I can hear your heart beating. Thump, thump...that's how you sound... <3" - Chie
https://m.imgur.com/gfiAZKK
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Does alt-science, alt-math, and alt-history deserve a platform?
  • Topic Archived