This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. The FTC's COPPA will be forcing YouTube to punish kid-content creators

User Info: McSame_as_Bush

McSame_as_Bush
2 weeks ago#41
Why hasn't COPPA been updated by Congress? It's a law that predates Facebook, YouTube, and every other major user-created content provider.
The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe because its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

User Info: AceMos

AceMos
2 weeks ago#42
McSame_as_Bush posted...
Why hasn't COPPA been updated by Congress? It's a law that predates Facebook, YouTube, and every other major user-created content provider.

so you want the personal data of children collected so greedy companies can target them with ads
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*

User Info: McSame_as_Bush

McSame_as_Bush
2 weeks ago#43
No, I am saying that a law regulating the internet that was written in 1998, could probably use some modification in 2019.
The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe because its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

User Info: AceMos

AceMos
2 weeks ago#44
McSame_as_Bush posted...
No, I am saying that a law regulating the internet that was written in 1998, could probably use some modification in 2019.

thats fair im just saying alot of people seem confused on what it is its one of the few regulations we actually enforce on companies
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*

User Info: Hyena 20

Hyena 20
2 weeks ago#45
PostCrisisJ2 posted...
As it stands, everything sounds way entirely too vague to be enforced properly. Add in the machine learning s*** and this is just a huge clusterf*** that's gonna do more harm than good.

Pretty sure there's a good reason why they extended the deadline for comments. I'd hate to give the FTC the benefit of the doubt but it really feels like in this case they're doing their job and it's just youtube that is continuously f***ing up.

No, it's not. Read my previous post. This is over a conviction in September where Youtube was charged for collecting site-browsing history/analytics/tracking coolies in order to facilitate targeted ads. This just happens to be something that most websites in the United States do, often with 3rd-party software such as Google Analytics. Now, unless Youtube was found guilty exclusively because they lack a separate "child version" of registered-account youtube that does not gather metadata from preteens for the purpose of targeted advertising (something with several companies have), then this is a very s***ty FTC ruling that will have the wide-ranging implications that I mentioned in my previous post.
However, if Youtube DID collect metadata for targeted ads for accounts registered to minors-- and the FTC ruling allows an exception for unregistered accounts-- then this won't have wide-ranging implications, after all.
Meet Captain Euro, the coolest superhero this side of Aquaman!~~Portal of Evil
[Disillusioned Independent]

User Info: MNThunder

MNThunder
2 weeks ago#46
AceMos posted...
AceMos posted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-1xHglORp0

this video shows some people are miss understanding what coppa is

youtube is in the wrong but not in the way people think coppa is a good thing (im uber liberal by the way)

That vid had some issues. He claims that he couldn't find the 42,000 dollar fine but it right there on the FTC website, not even that hard to find. He also makes a huge assumption that YoTubers will not be punished outside of extreme cases He seems more focused on what YouTube did was wrong and that COPPA, is a good thing, rather then focusing on what YouTubers are worried about. Which is that they could be punished when they aren't trying to target kids in the first place.

User Info: PostCrisisJ2

PostCrisisJ2
2 weeks ago#47
What do you mean no it's not? That it's not youtube fault?

https://twitter.com/Ryukiroku/status/1196908854472253443

This thread does a rundown of the actual injuction. It does sound like youtube really f***ed up here. In spite of that though it does sound like the FTC seem to lump all "operators" as one and the same, even though there's a huge difference between the Official Cartoon Network youtube channel, a commentator like Mr. Enter, and someone who uploads youtube poops of Steven Universe.

I should also add what the FTC considers "child-attractive" perhaps needs to be updated a tiny bit:

https://i.imgur.com/HhIKTo7.png
RIP Stephen Hawking 1942-2018

User Info: James xeno

James xeno
2 weeks ago#48
Bat178 posted...
How would those fines apply to foreign channels, though? The FTC only has jurisdiction in America.

That would be outside of their jurisdiction, yes.. But they would also be coming down on youtube. (remember, yt just agreed to pay 100+ mill fine for past "transgressions" on this rule) And youtube not being fined (a much larger sum than 40k) would be dependent on said past agreement. Which pretty much states that google agrees to enforce/scan/filter ALL past, current and future content to this new standard... "or else!"

darkmaian23 posted...
Hyena 20 posted...
es, I was correct. This only applies to content that attracts children under the age of 13.

What does that mean? Do board game reviews fall under that category? What about game reviews? Artistic abstract animations? At $42,000 per fine to whoever owns the channel, the rules need to be a lot less vague. I've only ever hosted some short animation projects from my 3D modeling hobby, but I've taken those down just to be safe. This could destroy the lives of all kinds of small time studios and individuals who haven't done anything wrong, and it could harm the internet as a whole if this sets a precedent and spreads elsewhere.

As others have posted, it's not clear to me that this move is even constitutional. Fining individuals huge sums of money for vaguely defined speech is total wtf move. As a business, Google is failing by having their solution to their own legal troubles be to tell users (many of which are just individuals doing hobby stuff) to consult a lawyer or maybe be find a huge amount of money (and maybe even if you did consult a lawyer). The FTC is failing in their job as government agency by stepping on the constitutional rights of American citizens to settle their legal dispute with Google.

They need to walk this back like right now. This reeks of Google trying to protect their own interests by pushing for this nonsense instead of owning up to their failings. Which will backfire anyway from a business perspective if Youtube fails and the ill-will they generate from this move harms their brand.

Yup.. All of this.. Especially the first part. Game and anime channels are ****ed.

And none of this is even touching on the potential for abuse. Some snowflake doesn't like something about a new (even mature) game/anime/manga/comic series, all they have to do is get some big tech/media nitwit to take notice of this new video game, "cartoon" or comic series advertising a/o having advertisements for other games/anime/etc and... poof!
http://imgur.com/a/s2O4b
Koto and Juri and Ruka oh my!

User Info: quintonshark163

quintonshark163
2 weeks ago#49
So much for caring about the kids
They're just forcing streaming and especially cable down our throats for no reason

The_REAL_Duke_O posted...
Questionmarktarius posted...
Of course, prohibition or limitation on profiteering from children's content has usually meant the end of children's content.
That's why Saturday morning cartoons died, along with a mass exodus to cable where the "E/I" rules don't matter.

Yeah, I remember growing up and having Saturday morning cartoons (and even Sunday morning cartoons) as well as weekday afternoon cartoons after school and then, because of all the legal bulls*** that started happening, all of that faded away (all that was left was during the mid to late 2000's was Fox's Saturday morning line up, which eventually devolved into them just running reruns of old cartoons, not new content. Also left was the CW Saturday morning line-up which had mostly reruns of older cartoons with a few new episodes of YugiOh and whatever else. The few new CW content was also on cable, so it wasn't exclusive. Then it all just went away completely by the very early 2010's).

This sucked horribly for any kid stuck in a poor family who couldn't afford cable and only had the regular channels. The worst part was what replaced all of those cartoons. The weekday afternoon cartoons got replaced with a bunch of s***ty talk shows meant for adults (Jerry Springer type rip-off shows with a bunch of hillbilly cousins having an affair and stuff like Maury Povich where some girl who slept with 20 guys is trying to figure out who her baby’s daddy is).

The Saturday morning cartoons got replaced with news meant for adults (where the news reports would go over horrible things like some guy murdering his wife and kids… definitely not kid appropriate stuff).

The Sunday morning cartoons got replaced with more news shows with more news stories about people being murdered and a bunch of s***ty infomercials selling mops and brooms and stuff. None of these programs were children appropriate and any kids without cable (the poor kids) were screwed since there pretty much was no more kids programming on regular TV thanks to the government stepping in and f***ing everything up with their E/I demands which f***ed over profitability for kids programming, as well as placing s***ty limitations on the non-cable networks. Sadly, I see the same thing happening on Youtube. I sadly expect almost all the kids videos (especially the really good videos. Not the Elsa s***, but the really good stuff that kids love on Youtube) to go away because of what the FTC is going to do to Youtube.
FC: 4554-0551-0272 | IGN: TheHungryBox
The Offical Kommo-o of Smash Bros. boards + Ganondorf and Daisy main. The corporations are stupid and corrupted AF

User Info: SuperInfinity46

SuperInfinity46
2 weeks ago#50
I don't know how this works in depth, but anything that makes the FTC more stringent on youtube content is a good idea.

I remember when they used to allow "happy slapping" (viciously punching random people in public and uploading it for other people to laugh at) and various kinds of gore videos. Not gone under the radar, they literally just let them up, sometimes they even ended up in the recommended algorithm.

The next step is to ban all videos that mislead the public or are supposed to mislead the public. This includes all "social experiments" - which are an incredibly unethical and disgusting practice even in the best of circumstances. The public is not a zoo.

Examples of fake social experiments allowed up right now are making the public thing a pram has fallen off a pier with a live baby inside, making the public think some black dudes reacted to racism in a violent way, harassing girls in public by saying obscene things and then turning around saying "just a prank bro"... all of that should be illegal.

People are making thousands or in some cases literally millions from this fakery. Roman Atwood, who once pranked his wife that he killed their child, and clowns like him. He should be in prison is where he should be, not making millions.
He who understands baboon would do more towards metaphysics than Locke. - Charles Darwin
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. The FTC's COPPA will be forcing YouTube to punish kid-content creators
  • Topic Archived