This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. The FTC's COPPA will be forcing YouTube to punish kid-content creators

User Info: quintonshark163

quintonshark163
3 weeks ago#1
If your videos are for kids, you'll get demonitized and viewers won't be able to comments and get notifications from them

If you claim your channel and/or videos kid-friendly and lie, you'll get punished with a $42,000 fine

This may actually hurt YouTube in a long-run unlike any other s***ty decision they done over the years (except the fact they demonitize nature content, assuming they still keep that rule)

And as if that isn't bad enough, YouTube wants to be a streaming service instead the only one of it's kind that got it to where it is today in the first place

R.I.P. YouTube and any video-sharing site for that matter (for real)

The video sharing industry is dead and streaming will only rise

And if you don't believe me, just go to YouTube (before it's too late) or Google News, type in "FTC" and you'll see videos and articles talking about this whole dumbass decision
FC: 4554-0551-0272 | IGN: TheHungryBox
The Offical Kommo-o of Smash Bros. boards + Ganondorf and Daisy main. The corporations are stupid and corrupted AF

User Info: atmasabr

atmasabr
3 weeks ago#2
As I said in the other topic, I agree with the decision. We should not be making it easier for people to exploit children online, and I think that's what Youtube videos targeting children does.
A Level 5 Lawful Neutral Int/Wis Ex-Paladin
Mr. sabr.

User Info: LuigisBro

LuigisBro
3 weeks ago#3
Seems all YouTube had to do was not collect data on kids, they’re the one who broke the law but instead they’re putting this on content creators who have absolutely no control over who watches their video
Bernie or bust
Hillary jumps in

quintonshark163
3 weeks ago#4
@LuigisBro posted...
Seems all YouTube had to do was not collect data on kids, they’re the one who broke the law but instead they’re putting this on content creators who have absolutely no control over who watches their video

this

i also blame the ISPs for collecting f***ing data on people (let alone children) and today's generation of parents cause they're awful parents for not keeping an eye on them for whatever the hell they watch

You have to blame those two also
The Offical Kommo-o of Smash Bros. boards + Ganondorf and Daisy main. The corporations are stupid and corrupted AF

User Info: EthanSilver

EthanSilver
3 weeks ago#5
I don't actually see the issue here. Liberal here, can someone explain it to me?

Outside of maybe targeting kids with propaganda, where is the issue?

quintonshark163
3 weeks ago#6
@EthanSilver posted...
I don't actually see the issue here. Liberal here, can someone explain it to me?

Outside of maybe targeting kids with propaganda, where is the issue?

These videos best explains it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2fEWs86RaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHTQlM8zdA4

EthanSilver
3 weeks ago#7
I can see the problem of the onus being misplaced.

What I mean is, what is the reasoning behind COPPA or w/e, why is it a thing?

Say I'm a business owner, and I want to know what kind of stuff kids are into so I can better manage my business. Who is harmed? Where is the objective wrong?

Also, sorry I didn't watch it all, if the video actually touched on that, I'll rewatch it as a whole. Only skimmed.

EthanSilver
3 weeks ago#8
Also, I hear the "privacy" thing. Okay, but how is not allowing ads in videos going to help anything, besides maybe harm creators. If it's because they collect information, couldn't you just rework them?

Idk, this just doesn't make sense to me. Logic wise.

COPPA or w/e doesn't make sense to me personally.

Also, couldn't you just add an account required, as well as permission from the parent or something, before watching? I wouldn't mind my kid watching some kid stuff with ads in it, yes, even if they collect information on their likes. Don't see the issue.

Would if they use such information to make targeted propaganda though. But it doesn't have to be used for that, and that very much would be a terrible thing imo.

quintonshark163
3 weeks ago#9
and ahead of this, YTKids is finally getting its own website
https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/28/ahead-of-ftc-ruling-youtube-kids-is-getting-a-website/
their only doing this just now

there's no hope

User Info: LuigisBro

LuigisBro
3 weeks ago#10
^ yeah this issue is easily fixable on YouTube’s end, they’re just using this as another excuse to not share ad revenue with creators anymore, in other words get their content for free, I mean if some video goes viral alot of kids are going to view it, and now Youtube can just say that person broke their rules and then YouTube gets to keep all the ad revenue that video generated
Bernie or bust
Hillary jumps in
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. The FTC's COPPA will be forcing YouTube to punish kid-content creators
  • Topic Archived