This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. How in 2019 are some still ignorant of food stereotypes about black people?

User Info: Bluebomber182

Bluebomber182
3 days ago#1
This isn't some new thing pulled outta nowhere. It goes all the way back to the 1860s with the birth of the watermelon stereotype that appeared in newspapers & racist literature. The kool aid stereotype was around since the 50s. It ties in with grape soda because it was cheaper and seen as an urban drink. Rememer Kenan & Kel and how Kel loved orange soda? That was the actors & show poking fun at the stereotype

I bring this up because some didn't understand why the Do you make kool aid remark in the infamous Fox & Friends cobbler segment was seen as racist
Not changing this sig until Big E or Xavier Woods turn heel and attack Kofi Started 4/14/19

User Info: Shablagoo

Shablagoo
3 days ago#2
Here’s the video for those who haven’t seen it (as I hadn’t):

https://youtu.be/M8nqdbCBBgc

Lol someone in the comments pointed out how at 0:39 the little girl (daughter of the host) gives a ‘The Office look’ at the camera.
"Bond, you can't just blame everything bad in the world on the government" -wiiking96
"why cant I?" -Bond_543

User Info: mercurydude

mercurydude
3 days ago#3
I went to a high school that was about 50% black students, so I was well aware of most of the stereotypes, but I was still caught off guard by one. Back when I used to drink soda, grape was my favorite flavor and one of my friends at the time said I must have been black in my past life because liking grape soda is a "black thing." I'd never heard about that at school or anywhere else.
These children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through. - Bowie

User Info: DarthSloth5555

DarthSloth5555
3 days ago#4
Bluebomber182 posted...
I bring this up because some didn't understand why the Do you make kool aid remark in the infamous Fox & Friends cobbler segment was seen as racist

Kilmeade is such a dumbass, what a stupid thing to say. smh.

Still though, is it not slightly encouraging that some people don't even know about the kool-aid stereotype? I take it as a sign this particular racist trope is dying out.

User Info: Shablagoo

Shablagoo
3 days ago#5
DarthSloth5555 posted...
Bluebomber182 posted...

Kilmeade is such a dumbass, what a stupid thing to say. smh.

Still though, is it not slightly encouraging that some people don't even know about the kool-aid stereotype? I take it as a sign this particular racist trope is dying out.

I mean where I’m from it’s definitely still around, though here it’s always just been “grape drink” instead of kool-aid.

I feel like if TC is talking about people on the boards not knowing about it the data is probably skewed.
"Bond, you can't just blame everything bad in the world on the government" -wiiking96
"why cant I?" -Bond_543

User Info: Torgo

Torgo
3 days ago#6
As Cenk Uygar says: (paraphrased slightly)

Food racism is the dumbest kind of racism.
Ah ha! You eat beans! Gotcha!
What is that? Everyone eats beans, so what?
Why is that an insult?
But that's how racists think.
Moderators: Please check to see if I'm describing a widely reported, highly publicized world news event before you rush to moderate me. Thank you.

User Info: Master_Materia

Master_Materia
3 days ago#7
I knew about the watermelon thing.Never knew a grape soda one.

And yes the comment is stupid. Watching thre video before reading the topic and Im wondering why the heck he suddenly asks about kool aid.

User Info: Bluebomber182

Bluebomber182
3 days ago#8
It came outta nowhere. Did you see the look Doocy gave him. He knew how f***ed up it was to ask that
Not changing this sig until Big E or Xavier Woods turn heel and attack Kofi Started 4/14/19

User Info: Bossdog421

Bossdog421
3 days ago#9
WTF... She says she makes it in summer time. Kool Aid was a staple for pretty much any summer time (or any time really) for anyone who had kids.

How the hell is this racist? Such a reach...
I don't have emotions & sometimes that makes me very sad.

User Info: Romaji

Romaji
3 days ago#10
It sounded like he just wanted some kool-aid. Everything isn't about race.

But the way they wouldn't shut up for even 1 millisecond, so annoying.
Generic Signature
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. How in 2019 are some still ignorant of food stereotypes about black people?
  • Post New Message