This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. House Democrats zero in on 'abuse of power' in Trump impeachment inquiry

User Info: BinaryHedgehog

BinaryHedgehog
1 year ago#11
LearntoRead posted...
BinaryHedgehog posted...
Keep in mind another reason the Inquiry is so broad is so that if the administration continues to incriminate itself, it can still get tacked onto Articles. Pelosi is playing Trump like a fiddle.

Takuya Lee posted...
She's not doing much of anything except letting them keep making mistakes. This administration keeps aiming a gun at their foot and pulling the trigger.

This feels like the kind of situaton where you're both right.

He's just reiterating what I think Pelosi is thinking. She knows this administration shooting itself in the foot, and is using it to her advantage.
Music gamers are an underserved population. DDR Lives Matter.
"If at first you don't succeed, blame it on your parents" - Wheel of Morality

User Info: Pogo_Marimo

Pogo_Marimo
1 year ago#12
EvenSpoonier posted...
I'm not sure this is entirely wise.

I understand the rationale: it's probably the only umbrella broad enough to catch the full spectrum of Trump's many crimes, and thus probably the only thing that's ever going to please everyone. But that same breadth is also its greatest weakness, because it's so vague: it invites mountains upon mountains of whataboutism going back decades, taking battleaxes to cans of worms that I really don't think the Dems want opened.

At the same time, is it really necessary to please everyone to get this finished? Are you honestly trying to tell me there are enough wildly differing factions of the Dems who won't sign on to impeachment unless their specific niche concerns are met that you can't pass the House with narrower, less-vulnerable articles? Likewise for the Senate: even with the added complication of getting some Senate Republicans om board, is it truly necessary to go this broad? I very much doubt it. Keep the articles tight and robust. Minimize the opportunities for whining. This will pay major dividends in the long game.

You should probably reread the report, dude. Pelosi is specifically narrowing the focus of the precedings to just the Ukranian scandal. This is as narrow an impeachment you can have, basically.

Gradieus posted...
So the impeachment accusation is so weak that they have to use broad language to pretend it's something of importance?

Sounds about right.

"Abuse of Power" is not exactly broad language.
I presume my time here in my darkblack dragondark steel-obliterating solitude has come to its end as well.
http://www.last.fm/user/Pogo92

User Info: dermoratraken

dermoratraken
1 year ago#13
It's going to be really hard to communicate this. I think many people will see asking for investigations as part of the president's job, and Biden sure doesn't look great right now.

User Info: feudel

feudel
1 year ago#14
Gradieus posted...
So the impeachment accusation is so weak that they have to use broad language to pretend it's something of importance?

Sounds about right.

It works for trump on you.
????????

User Info: mrplainswalker

mrplainswalker
1 year ago#15
Musourenka posted...
I get the need to make it easy for the public to understand, but at the same time, there is so much more to call out Trump for.

If people weren't so stupid that they need to be pointed toward a single offense, they wouldn't have been stupid enough to elect this corrupt, evil, idiot in the first place.
If justice is blind, why do you get a jury of your peers?
-Literally said by OMGWTFPIE

User Info: BLAKUboy

BLAKUboy
1 year ago#16
Seems like a bad move. Republicans aren't going to care about "abuse of power" and making that their entire narrative will just give Republicans the ammo to shoot this down and potentially reverse all the momentum of support for impeachment.
They're scared s***less of much harsher charges, charges they can't spin in their sleep. Charge him of treason, of obstruction, of conspiracy, or at least of blackmail or extortion. And get the emoluments violations in there for good measure. But a move like this is limp-wristed at best, and I'd almost think Pelosi wants to lose in 2020.
Aeris dies if she takes more damage than her current HP - Panthera
https://signavatar.com/26999_s.png

User Info: Takuya Lee

Takuya Lee
1 year ago#17
BLAKUboy posted...
Seems like a bad move. Republicans aren't going to care about "abuse of power" and making that their entire narrative will just give Republicans the ammo to shoot this down and potentially reverse all the momentum of support for impeachment.
They're scared s***less of much harsher charges, charges they can't spin in their sleep. Charge him of treason, of obstruction, of conspiracy, or at least of blackmail or extortion. And get the emoluments violations in there for good measure. But a move like this is limp-wristed at best, and I'd almost think Pelosi wants to lose in 2020.

Wow, that is a horrible take. Just because abuse of power is the focus doesn't mean other articles won't be tacked on. I see it as an overall theme that the articles will paint an overall picture of.
I'm just passing through. Remember that.

User Info: Darth Gecko

Darth Gecko
1 year ago#18
Obstruction of justice and Contempt of Congress should be added on.
Golden State Warriors 2018 NBA Champions

User Info: Musourenka

Musourenka
1 year ago#19
Takuya Lee posted...
BLAKUboy posted...

Wow, that is a horrible take. Just because abuse of power is the focus doesn't mean other articles won't be tacked on. I see it as an overall theme that the articles will paint an overall picture of.

This.

And Republicans already have their Obstruction talking points as seen by the Mueller report. "Abuse of Power isn't an actual crime, thus there is no crime to Obstruct!"
Shooing away pigeons crapping on debate tables is not a violation of the pigeons' free speech.

User Info: -Kicksave-

-Kicksave-
1 year ago#20
Actually this is too vague. It feels like a retread of the Mueller Report which was a compendium of assorted offenses of varying degrees of substantiation. It just became a blur without a single powerful and incriminating point.

They really should have cast this as illegal pressure on a foreign government to sabotage domestic political opponents. Period. People get that and it has turned the tide to pro-impeachment.

Once again, Democrats will find a way to f*** this up.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Rico, YOU know what to DO!
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. House Democrats zero in on 'abuse of power' in Trump impeachment inquiry
  • Topic Archived