This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. why do Americans hate voting so much?

User Info: BB mofo

BB mofo
1 week ago#21
UnsteadyOwl posted...

2. Pessimism. Some people feel like nothing changes for them regardless of who's in office. That's hard to combat. I think it makes it important to talk about the good or bad things politicians are doing rather than focusing on identity politics.

That's difficult to do because even during the "good times", certain groups were purposefully shut out of those opportunities. There's enough minorities who are happy to stay home on voting day and watch it all burn down so long as white people go down with them.

I just listened to a guy in my barbershop a couple weeks back who was gleeful about all these wealthy white areas experiencing mass shootings. He called them hypocrites for speaking out on gun violence only when it affected them, but didn't give a s*** when black children had to deal with it for decades earlier. When it's white people, it's a tragedy that must be stopped, but when it's black people, it's just in their nature to kill each other. He assumed that if they do find a solution, the only ones who will benefit from it are whites.

You will have a hard time countering that type of hate.
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
-Mark Twain

User Info: wally

wally
1 week ago#22
My generation has been of voting age for five presidential elections, and for two of them, the candidate with the most votes lost. Why the hell do you think people don't think their vote matters?
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight

User Info: JaeredMack

JaeredMack
1 week ago#23
I think a lot of people don't know how to vote. They just don't know where to go, how to register z and are intimidated by the ballot.
Sanders '20 | the 1% is comfortable enough.
Founder, GameFAQs Inclusivity+ Initiative 2019 - Promoting Equality and Unity for Everyone
(message deleted)

User Info: DK DeathKnight

DK DeathKnight
1 week ago#25
Well the 2 Party System doesent help, if you hate both Candidates or neither just appeals to you, and yet you STILL have to choose one or the other, a bunch of people would rather just not vote at all. Also in the last 20 years, 2 Candidates with less votes than the Person they ran against, won the Presidency. Its unprecedented. No wonder people these days feel disillusioned about the System, when the Majority who voted is getting the President they didnt want. It feels like your Votes dont matter unless you live in Alabama etc.
PSN: CrowsZero_
Playing: League of Legends, Tokiden: Kiwami, Bloodborne.

User Info: DontPlayerHate

DontPlayerHate
1 week ago#26
Democrats and Republicans mostly don't run people worth voting for.
I'm not biased. I hate everything equally.

User Info: BombermanGold

BombermanGold
1 week ago#27
UnsteadyOwl posted...
I think it's a few things.

1. Laziness. I had one guy tell me that he would vote if he could do it online, but he's not going to drive somewhere to vote.

2. Pessimism. Some people feel like nothing changes for them regardless of who's in office. That's hard to combat. I think it makes it important to talk about the good or bad things politicians are doing rather than focusing on identity politics.

3. Lack of awareness of what's happening in local and state politics. What happens in your local and state governments may have a bigger impact on your life than what happens in Washington. With more and more local news outlets shutting down it seems like increasingly people don't even know who their mayor, state rep, etc are much less what they're up to. And if you only pay attention to national news you're never going to know unless it's something crazy that makes national headlines.

The most sane response.
Also, I'd add a number 4: No knowledge of how/where to vote (basically voting difficulty).

If you're new to voting, some people would be hard pressed to find where their voting precinct is, much less what to bring (if there's that Voter I.D. nonsense going on).
And some places where they purposefully try to stifle places to register early to vote or even vote early only compounds the difficulty, which would then feed into the Laziness aspect.
"I will be your superhero!!!"
STEAM ID: BombermanGOLDEN

User Info: Welcommatt

Welcommatt
1 week ago#28
wally posted...
My generation has been of voting age for five presidential elections, and for two of them, the candidate with the most votes lost. Why the hell do you think people don't think their vote matters?

This post is a home run
"Hodor" -Hodor

User Info: UnsteadyOwl

UnsteadyOwl
1 week ago#29
DK DeathKnight posted...
Well the 2 Party System doesent help, if you hate both Candidates or neither just appeals to you, and yet you STILL have to choose one or the other, a bunch of people would rather just not vote at all. Also in the last 20 years, 2 Candidates with less votes than the Person they ran against, won the Presidency. Its unprecedented. No wonder people these days feel disillusioned about the System, when the Majority who voted is getting the President they didnt want. It feels like your Votes dont matter unless you live in Alabama etc.

Having a de facto two-party system sucks. I still think you're better off voting than not, but we really should have more than just two viable choices. It's like if neither of the two major party platforms aligns with your views then tough s***.

I think it contributes to now negative politics is as well. If you're one of only two choices then you don't have to be all that good to win, you just have to convince people that the other guy is worse.
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

User Info: Asherlee10

Asherlee10
1 week ago#30
1. No voter holiday
2. Voting can sometimes take as long as 6-8 hours of standing in line in some places (not all)
3. Little understanding of the candidates and their platform (we don't have an unbiased, clear way to evaluate candidates that's universally accepted)
4. Some places it feels (or is the case) that voting doesn't really make much of a difference except in small, local elections.
"Opinions should be a result of a thought, not a substitute for it."
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. why do Americans hate voting so much?
  • Topic Archived