This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. IRS Says It's Required to Turn Over Trump's Tax Returns to Congress

User Info: onemoment1985

onemoment1985
1 month ago#1
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/05/irs-says-its-required-to-turn-over-trumps-tax-returns-to-congress/

Posting a memo from the IRS, since they're just quoting WaPO and I don't have a subscription.

A confidential Internal Revenue Service legal memo says tax returns must be given to Congress unless the president takes the rare step of asserting executive privilege, according to a copy of the memo obtained by The Washington Post. The memo contradicts the Trump administration’s justification for denying lawmakers’ request for President Trump’s tax returns, exposing fissures in the executive branch.

….According to the IRS memo, which has not been previously reported, the disclosure of tax returns to the committee “is mandatory, requiring the Secretary to disclose returns, and return information, requested by the tax-writing Chairs.” The 10-page document says the law “does not allow the Secretary to exercise discretion in disclosing the information provided the statutory conditions are met” and directly rejects the reason Mnuchin has cited for withholding the information.

In short, the IRS seems to think that they have to give up Trump's tax returns unless executive privilege is used. Seems damning and straightforward.
PSN:onemoment

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
1 month ago#2
He’s gonna call privilege.
I'm warning you with peace and love.
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!

User Info: Kai_Koshimoro

Kai_Koshimoro
1 month ago#3
How would executive privilege work in this situation exactly?
"A little touch of madness will keep you alive, because no one in the world knows how to tax that." Robin Williams

User Info: Takuya Lee

Takuya Lee
1 month ago#4
SaikyoStyle posted...

He'll try, but the memo also states that may not hold up and they'll have to be turned over anyway.
I'm just passing through. Remember that.

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
1 month ago#5
No s*** they're required.
lolAmerica

User Info: Kradek

Kradek
4 weeks ago#6
"IRS says it's required to follow the law" could have been an acceptable alternative title.
Troll: (n.) Something that claims it intentionally and constantly spreading false information and propaganda is just a "difference of opinion".

User Info: SaikyoStyle

SaikyoStyle
4 weeks ago#7
Takuya Lee posted...
SaikyoStyle posted...

He'll try, but the memo also states that may not hold up and they'll have to be turned over anyway.

Then he’ll refuse and his minions will think that’s alpha AF.
I'm warning you with peace and love.
Dukat/Madred 2020. Make Cardassia Great Again!

User Info: pnut027

pnut027
4 weeks ago#8
I remember when they said they didn't have to lol.

With more and more repub politicians speaking out against Trump and appointees doing their jobs, they're seeing that Trump has served his usefulness and want to:

1. Keep their seats past 2020
2. Back a potential primary challenger
3. Not be subpoenaed by the house

f*** every one of them who failed to take action against him because they wanted to make money.
Gonna buy a milkshake. Might dump it on a Confederate flag later. IDK.
Kai_Koshimoro posted...
How would executive privilege work in this situation exactly?

It wouldn't. There's no governmental purpose being interfered with.
In Brady We Trust.
I've finally realized the secret to making a successful Mearn topic. Make it about CZG - Mearn

User Info: atmasabr

atmasabr
4 weeks ago#10
You are posting from a deceptive or uninformed source. The IRS is stating that its agency heads are unaware of the memo, and it yet unverified who wrote the memo and who reviewed it.

Fake news. Next.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/irs-memo-says-president-apos-005914346.html
Do your own research!
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. IRS Says It's Required to Turn Over Trump's Tax Returns to Congress
  • Topic Archived