This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Trump Admin to LGBT Couples: Your Out of Wedlock Kids Arent Citizens
https://www.thedailybeast.com/state-department-to-lgbt-married-couples-your-out-of-wedlock-kids-arent-citizens?via=twitter_page

Well, this is horrifying.

Snippet:

Last summer, the State Department issued new rules unilaterally changing the department’s interpretation of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), a 1952 law that, along with the 14th Amendment, codifies eligibility for U.S. birthright citizenship.

“The U.S. Department of State interprets the INA to mean that a child born abroad must be biologically related to a U.S. citizen parent,” the State Department’s website says. “Even if local law recognizes a surrogacy agreement and finds that U.S. parents are the legal parents of a child conceived and born abroad… if the child does not have a biological connection to a U.S. citizen parent, the child will not be a U.S. citizen at birth.”

The Kivitis are each biologically related to their children. Under the policy, however, children born via gestational surrogacy and other forms of assisted reproductive technology (ART) are considered to be born “out of wedlock,” in the State Department’s words—even if their parents, like Roee and Adiel, are legally married.

“They basically take our marriage, and they say ‘It doesn’t mean anything. Your child was born out of wedlock,’” Adiel said. “We were there when she was born, she took her first breaths in our arms. Make no mistake: We are her parents—we are her only parents on her only birth certificate.”

Children born out of wedlock face higher legal and logistical hurdles to obtaining birthright citizenship: In addition to submission of DNA tests proving genetic links to U.S. citizen parents, their parents must be able to testify that they can support their children financially, and must prove that they have been present in the United States for at least five years prior to the child’s birth. Adiel, who was born in Israel, only recently became a naturalized U.S. citizen. He had lived in the United States since May 2015, and for one year in law school, but still fell short of five years.

User Info: JaeredMack

JaeredMack
1 week ago#2
Totally not homophobic racists.
Sanders '20 | the 1% is comfortable enough.
Founder, GameFAQs Inclusivity+ Initiative 2019 - Promoting Equality and Unity for Everyone
Conservatism is poison.
Assassin's Creed (yes, the first one) is one of my favorite games from Gen 7.

User Info: acolytes

acolytes
1 week ago#4
The only thing that matters is th classic nuclear family to these f***ers.
"I learned about the blues from this kitten I knew, her hair was raven and her heart was like a tomb. My heart's like a wound."

User Info: tremain07

tremain07
1 week ago#5
People who say that after Abortion their gonna go after gays and trans people were dead on
IGN: Sun
FC: 0061-0132-7564
Most LGBT friendly President ever I was told.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.

User Info: Evol

Evol
1 week ago#7
The Trump admin, and anyone who defends it, are trash.

User Info: strifeprime

strifeprime
1 week ago#8
Child birthed by non-citizen in foreign country not granted US citizenship. Oh well.
(message deleted)

User Info: Bluebomber182

Bluebomber182
1 week ago#10
but he waved a rainbow flag once!
Not changing this sig until Big E or Xavier Woods turn heel and attack Kofi Started 4/14/19
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Trump Admin to LGBT Couples: Your Out of Wedlock Kids Arent Citizens