This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Trump pardons a straight up war criminal

User Info: Block that Kick

Block that Kick
1 month ago#1
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/trump-grants-pardon-man-killed-iraqi-prisoner-62864825

President Donald Trump has pardoned a former U.S. soldier convicted in 2009 of killing an Iraqi prisoner, the White House announced Monday.

Trump signed an executive grant of clemency, a full pardon, for former Army 1st Lt. Michael Behenna, of Oklahoma, press secretary Sarah Sanders said.

Behenna was convicted of unpremeditated murder in a combat zone after killing a suspected al-Qaida terrorist in Iraq. He was paroled in 2014 and had been scheduled to remain on parole until 2024.

A military court had sentenced Behenna to 25 years in prison. However, the Army's highest appellate court noted concern about how the trial court had handled Behenna's claim of self-defense, Sanders said. The Army Clemency and Parole Board also reduced his sentence to 15 years and paroled him as soon as he was eligible.

Behenna's case attracted broad support from the military, Oklahoma elected officials and the public, Sanders said. She added that Behenna was a model prisoner while serving his sentence, and "in light of these facts, Mr. Behenna is entirely deserving" of the pardon.

Oklahoma's two Republican senators, James Lankford and Jim Inhofe, hailed the pardon, thanking Trump for giving Behenna "a clean slate."

Behenna acknowledged during his trial that instead of taking the prisoner home as he was ordered, he took the man to a railroad culvert, stripped him, and then questioned him at gunpoint about a roadside bombing that had killed two members of Behenna's platoon.

Behenna, a native of the Oklahoma City suburb of Edmond, said the man moved toward him and he shot him because Behenna thought he would try to take his gun.

Oklahoma's attorney general first requested a pardon for Behenna in February 2018 and renewed his request last month. Attorney General Mike Hunter said he believed Behenna's conviction was unjustified because of erroneous jury instructions and the failure of prosecutors to turn over evidence supporting a self-defense claim.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.
(message deleted)

User Info: gogues

gogues
1 month ago#3
Apparently discipline in the military doesn’t matter to Trump.

User Info: acolytes

acolytes
1 month ago#4
So, he stripped him and questioned him at gunpoint, then claimed self defense?

You kinda put yourself in that position, bro.

Trump'll pardon Eddie Gallagher in the future too.
"I learned about the blues from this kitten I knew, her hair was raven and her heart was like a tomb. My heart's like a wound."

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
1 month ago#5
Ugh
lolAmerica

User Info: rusrockt10

rusrockt10
1 month ago#6
If there was an issue with how the trial was conducted, I don't have an issue with this. BUt I don't really know enough about that. He had a good advocate on his side.....his mom is an attorney who fights for people that are wrongly convicted (and she helped Janet Reno put away McVeigh).

User Info: Stewman_Magoo

Stewman_Magoo
1 month ago#7
knivesX2004 posted...
How long until he pardons the coast guard terrorist?

Hasn't he already been released?
PSN Stewman_Magoo

User Info: Don Machevialli

Don Machevialli
1 month ago#8
Block that Kick posted...
Oklahoma's attorney general first requested a pardon for Behenna in February 2018 and renewed his request last month. Attorney General Mike Hunter said he believed Behenna's conviction was unjustified because of erroneous jury instructions and the failure of prosecutors to turn over evidence supporting a self-defense claim.

Shouldn't this be the part in bold? (assuming this was the case)
A nation is born stoic, and dies epicurean. ~ Will & Ariel Durant (Machiavelli is the correct spelling)

User Info: Block that Kick

Block that Kick
1 month ago#9
acolytes posted...
So, he stripped him and questioned him at gunpoint, then claimed self defense?

Think of the balls it takes to conjure up that kind of defense.

Put it in any other context where a man kidnaps another man, brings him to a remote location, strips him naked and puts a loaded gun to his head. And then when the kidnapped man tries to free himself, the kidnapper shoots him and says “Sorry, it was self defense. He went for my gun. What the hell do you want from me?”
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.

User Info: drclaeys

drclaeys
1 month ago#10
Friends,

Seems like this guy is wrong, or somewhat wrong.

I would rather have trump pardoning one person at a time.. then doing the REST of the stuff he does, to the entire country. tax cuts... .Tariffs. shutdowns..... National Emergencies. Health Care, Immigration.

So yes, this bad, and if we ONLY had this, ok we can b****.. but we have like LOTS more things that effect way more people.

Let trump pardon a person every week for the next 2 years, I really do not care.
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
Enough young people deaths, ban guns now, TODAY!! How many more children must die?
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Trump pardons a straight up war criminal
  • Topic Archived