This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Donald Trump 'worst perpetrator' of fake news: UN special rapporteur

User Info: KittyBillionair

KittyBillionair
1 month ago#1
Old article but very relevant:

https://www.politico.eu/article/un-special-rapporteur-donald-trump-worst-perpetrator-of-fake-news/

“The President of the United States is the "worst" perpetrator of misinformation on the internet, the U.N. Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression and Opinion David Kaye said in an interview published today.

"Governments are real offenders when it comes to disinformation," said Kaye. "In my own country, the United States, the worst perpetrator of false information is the President of the United States."”
Waiting: MP4 + MP HD Trilogy, Granblue Relink, Lost Soul Aside.
Native Instruments Maschine MK3 + Korg Minilogue Synthesizer + Logic Pro

User Info: d_parker

d_parker
1 month ago#2
He's worse than Yahoo! News?

Find that hard to believe.

KittyBillionair
1 month ago#3
d_parker posted...
He's worse than Yahoo! News?

Find that hard to believe.

I wouldn’t know.

I don’t Yahoo. Surprised Yahoo hasn’t gone the way of America Online, Napster, Limewire, etc.

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
1 month ago#4
This has been known for awhile now. Donnie and his s*** house administration are the absolute kings of Fake News™. Which is why it's so funny when his cult cry about it. They don't actually care about Fake News™, they care that people are saying negative things about their cult leader, true or not.
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

KittyBillionair
1 month ago#5
Heineken14 posted...
This has been known for awhile now. Donnie and his s*** house administration are the absolute kings of Fake News™. Which is why it's so funny when his cult cry about it. They don't actually care about Fake News™, they care that people are saying negative things about their cult leader, true or not.

The problem is that the cult says Trump never lies no matter how much proof you show them. Or they just say every politician lies.

It’s a case of a mental block/Republican brain worms.

User Info: d_parker

d_parker
1 month ago#6
On the positive side, hopefully at some point people will just say they don't trust anyone who just feeds them what they purport to be "news" and they question everything. Maybe wishful thinking, but a guy can hope.

User Info: agreed88

agreed88
1 month ago#7
Very misleading article.

There's no actual article or reference point. It's a misleading article title from a US reporter, that was sent to an EU site, based off an interview, which was quoted incorrectly, which was based off a blanket statement with no backed research and not David's actual fact finding research.

The reference he made, was a commentary note, not a fact. They use quotation on it when referencing fake news because he notates the difference between propaganda speech, and speech that is outright false or misleading.

So we have an article about fake news, that is actually in the traditional sense of misleading the reader complete fake news. The irony is kinda great.

Fact Finding mission -
https://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/FreedomOpinion/Pages/Visits.aspx

Full Context of the quote -

DRM: In the context of the Pakistani general elections in July 2018, we noticed lots of local content on Twitter and Facebook that can be categorised as disinformation and misinformation. A lot of this was political propaganda and often the messages tended to target or undermine dissent, opposing political views, and accurate reporting. Based on your work around the world, how do you think the online disinformation issue can be addressed?

DK: I do think everybody is struggling on how to deal with disinformation. Part of the problem is, and not speaking specifically to Pakistan, but generally, governments are real offenders when it comes to disinformation. You know, governments are putting out false information. I mean, in my own country, the United States, the worst perpetrator of false information is the President of the United States. So one thing is how do we deal with government “fake news” — if you want to call it that, but propaganda is a better phrase for it. So on that front, I think journalists need to be covering it. And again that’s hard for people in societies where you face all sorts of threats. So that’s something: You need to do it; it’s time consuming; it takes away from other reporting you might do, and when you do it you can come under pressure from the government or other actors. So that’s one thing is that journalists can be doing some of this.

The platforms, I think, can do things that are more technical as long as they are not evaluating content. There are things they can do. They can’t just zap it and say, “This is fake news, it’s off the platform.” But they can do things like identify how long is this Twitter account that’s tweeting all of this information, how long has it been in effect? Was it created three hours ago? Well then, maybe it should be restricted. You know, how many followers does this one have? Are those followers bots? So I think there are technical things where the companies can more and more treat spam and decrease the number of accounts that are bots; which is also tricky because there are good bots and bad bots.

So there are things that everybody needs to be doing. Civil society has a role to play in this, too. I mean, if organisations are not doing the work themselves, they should be working with fact-checking organisations and others to try to identify which are the bad actors out there.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Donald Trump 'worst perpetrator' of fake news: UN special rapporteur
  • Topic Archived