This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. So was Bush 41 a Republican the left kinda likes?

User Info: NewDarkAges

NewDarkAges
1 month ago#71
Uncle Choad posted...
NewDarkAges posted...
Uncle Choad posted...
NewDarkAges posted...
The fawning praise has 2 reasons.
1. He's dead. We always fawn over the recently diseased, we'll do the same for his son when his time comes. We may even do it for Dick Cheney and Henry Kissinger...
2. Trump is such a classless,incompetent buffoon, that virtually any other US president looks good in comparison. Nixon would look good in comparison.

The first Gulf war, with the media propaganda campaign, the lies about babies being taken out of incubators and being killed in Kuwait, not to mention he was head of the CIA under Reagan, left a nasty taste in my mouth. Being better than his son and Trump is a really low bar. Next thing you know, there'll be an out loud and proud neo Nazi as president and everyone will look back on Trump as the picture of civility and equality.

As long as we keep lowering the bar, we will keep looking back at past monsters with rose tinted glasses.

My favorite part is you mention Bush being involved with killing babies, and then thinking Trump is worse than that. LOL

"Wah but he's still a buffoon!"

I didn't say Bush killed babies (though he did in the Iraq invasion). I said that he lied about Iraqi soldiers killing Kuwaiti babies. Trump has plenty of blood on his hands, from his support of the Saudi genocide in Yemen, his genocidal climate change policy, defunding UNRWA, continuing Obama and Bush's wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria and Somalia, and few would be surprised if he actually invades Iran now too.

Yeah I read it wrong.

Every President ever has "blood on their hands" because of foreign s***. I do like how nobody mentions ISIS anymore though. 2013-2015 was some scary s***. Glad it's mostly over.

Lol climate change. It was super cold today.

When you say things like this, it's pretty much debate suicide, nobody can take you seriously, even if you were to make a good point.

User Info: Dark_Arbron

Dark_Arbron
1 month ago#72
NewDarkAges posted...

When you say things like this, it's pretty much debate suicide, nobody can take you seriously, even if you were to make a good point

Friendly reminder that Trump infamously said something very similar, and it's what cemented his status as "having no understanding of the difference between weather and climate."

Sometimes people say that very same thing, unironically, and I wonder if they even realize.
No ones above the law in the US. -boshafty

User Info: Charliesix

Charliesix
1 month ago#73
I don't think Bush ever really villainized the Democrats in the way Trump has. Trump has constantly mocked his opponents, which represent the majority of Americans, and this has forced the Republican rank-and-file to join in the mockery too, which has just led to a huge s*** show all around.

To me, the 90s and the 2000s had political mockery and insulting, but it was largely left to regular Americans to do it to each other. Now it's a top-down affair.

and Bush's war was a valid and just war. I remember the biggest criticism of the war was that Bush and Norman Schwarzkopff were too brutal during the Iraqi retreat on the "highway of death". They were retreating and the US just massacred thousands of them, even though they posed no threat at that point. Of course, the reasoning is that if the enemy lives to fight another day, then they cause problems then, so it's justifiable.
Trump's campaign manager hired multiple white supremacists to write for Breitbart News. Evidence: http://www.breitbarttruth.com

User Info: hoax123

hoax123
1 month ago#74
Charliesix posted...
I don't think Bush ever really villainized the Democrats in the way Trump has. Trump has constantly mocked his opponents, which represent the majority of Americans, and this has forced the Republican rank-and-file to join in the mockery too, which has just led to a huge s*** show all around.

To me, the 90s and the 2000s had political mockery and insulting, but it was largely left to regular Americans to do it to each other. Now it's a top-down affair.

and Bush's war was a valid and just war. I remember the biggest criticism of the war was that Bush and Norman Schwarzkopff were too brutal during the Iraqi retreat on the "highway of death". They were retreating and the US just massacred thousands of them, even though they posed no threat at that point. Of course, the reasoning is that if the enemy lives to fight another day, then they cause problems then, so it's justifiable.

Sure, if you dont mind lies and false festimonies......
- Centrism means that the Republicans have a bad idea, and the Democrats are going to help them do it.

User Info: TheFuzz3451

TheFuzz3451
1 month ago#75
Nitro378 posted...
It's just extreme rose tinted glasses situation, I really don't think he was much better on policy but to establishment liberals things like 'prestige' and 'class' matter more than substance.

In terms of actual policy he and Trump really aren't any different

Trump's true danger is his blatant disregard for the law (vs. past Republican presidents' "behind the curtains" disregard for the law) and his enabling of open fascists
You're only as sick as your secrets, but the truth shall set you free.
The truth is the truth, so all you can do is live with it.

User Info: hoax123

hoax123
1 month ago#76
TheFuzz3451 posted...
Nitro378 posted...
It's just extreme rose tinted glasses situation, I really don't think he was much better on policy but to establishment liberals things like 'prestige' and 'class' matter more than substance.

Trump's true danger is his blatant disregard for the law (vs. past Republican presidents' "behind the curtains" disregard for the law) and his enabling of open fascists

Yeah, well, Bush Sr was no big fan of the law either, he obstructed justice as well.
- Centrism means that the Republicans have a bad idea, and the Democrats are going to help them do it.

User Info: Socarrat

Socarrat
1 month ago#77
I wonder if the left will ever have a president (Trump) so bad by everyone's own personal standards that the right will be praising him for their points into a heaven. We all know why Bush 41 is so extra, and that includes Trump "supporters" deep down.

User Info: Dark_Arbron

Dark_Arbron
1 month ago#78
Charliesix posted...
They were retreating and the US just massacred thousands of them, even though they posed no threat at that point. Of course, the reasoning is that if the enemy lives to fight another day, then they cause problems then, so it's justifiable.

I would argue there's a difference between a retreat and a surrender.

A retreat is still a combat tactic in which you are attempting to find a better position to continue fighting (or giving the enemy ground, as in a defence-in-depth strategy). If you are backing off while remaining armed, you are still a belligerent. That said, I do believe that if your enemy surrounds you at this point, they should still at least attempt to talk you into giving up. Being surrounded usually means you've lost the battle in anything short of a Devil May Cry game.

An outright surrender on the other hand is to say you are no longer committed to continuing the fight and thus are no longer a belligerent. Usually people who surrender make a clear showing of dropping their weapons. You are now subject to being taken prisoner, and to execute you at this point is a war crime. (To feign surrender is also a war crime.)

I say that as someone who hasn't researched the event in question, though. (Did they make visible and internationally-recognized attempts to surrender upon realizing they were surrounded? etc.) If you have more information to share on the topic I would be thankful.
No ones above the law in the US. -boshafty

User Info: itcheyness

itcheyness
1 month ago#79
Dark_Arbron posted...
Did they make visible and internationally-recognized attempts to surrender upon realizing they were surrounded?

They weren't surrounded, US airpower trapped the retreating convoy by destroying the lead and rear vehicles and then flattened the rest of the convoy once it stopped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Death?wprov=sfla1
Green Bay Packers 4-7-1
Seattle Sounders 14-9-11 53pts

User Info: darkace77450

darkace77450
1 month ago#80
TheFuzz3451 posted...

One of these men raised taxes in an effort to balance the budget and the other cut taxes while increasing spending, creating in the largest budget deficit in US history.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. So was Bush 41 a Republican the left kinda likes?
  • Topic Archived