This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Reminder: there's only one reason for Kavanaugh to not want to talk to the FBI.

User Info: EPR-radar

EPR-radar
2 months ago#21
goooooBills posted...
EPR-radar posted...
There's more evidence that Trump and Kavanaugh are rapists than there is that Obama was born in Kenya, or any of hundreds of other fact-free right wing fairy tales.

So if we use the right's own standard of evidence against it, there's absolutely no reason not to run with 'Trump (or Kavanaugh) is a rapist' headlines etc. in the news.

Trump seems more likely because of the number of allegations and his history of sex scandals. But...I still wouldn't bet my life on it. We just don't know. I know that's a tough pill to swallow, but that's the reality of the situation.

What's this nonsense about it being a tough pill to swallow?

All I'm saying is that the right has absolutely no grounds for complaint when some of their own start getting smeared in the fact-free way the Republicans have perfected vs. Democrats.

In other words, the party of Benghazi and 'lock her up' doesn't get to bleat about due process without being called out on that hypocrisy.

I'm not delusional. Nothing I've seen so far in the press would lead me to vote as a juror for guilt of Trump or Kavanaugh in a rape trial where the standard is proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

But for the 10,000th time, this is not a trial for Kavanaugh. This is a job screening for supreme court justice. Even a 50/50 chance of putting an attempted rapist on SCOTUS is totally unacceptable, and 50/50 is nowhere close to being beyond a reasonable doubt. So beyond a reasonable doubt is clearly a stupid standard to be using for this scandal.

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
2 months ago#22
Solid Jake posted...
Lying to Congress is also a crime.

And he's done that several times already
lolAmerica

User Info: goooooBills

goooooBills
2 months ago#23
EPR-radar posted...
goooooBills posted...
EPR-radar posted...
There's more evidence that Trump and Kavanaugh are rapists than there is that Obama was born in Kenya, or any of hundreds of other fact-free right wing fairy tales.

So if we use the right's own standard of evidence against it, there's absolutely no reason not to run with 'Trump (or Kavanaugh) is a rapist' headlines etc. in the news.

Trump seems more likely because of the number of allegations and his history of sex scandals. But...I still wouldn't bet my life on it. We just don't know. I know that's a tough pill to swallow, but that's the reality of the situation.

What's this nonsense about it being a tough pill to swallow?

All I'm saying is that the right has absolutely no grounds for complaint when some of their own start getting smeared in the fact-free way the Republicans have perfected vs. Democrats.

In other words, the party of Benghazi and 'lock her up' doesn't get to bleat about due process without being called out on that hypocrisy.

I'm not delusional. Nothing I've seen so far in the press would lead me to vote as a juror for guilt of Trump or Kavanaugh in a rape trial where the standard is proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

But for the 10,000th time, this is not a trial for Kavanaugh. This is a job screening for supreme court justice. Even a 50/50 chance of putting an attempted rapist on SCOTUS is totally unacceptable, and 50/50 is nowhere close to being beyond a reasonable doubt. So beyond a reasonable doubt is clearly a stupid standard to be using for this scandal.

I guess I just don't see the point in lowering yourself just to zing a guy. You lose all credibility. The idea that we should do it because they do isn't a compelling argument, nor is it effective. I'm not sure I'd agree with your 50/50 sentiment. Where are those numbers coming from? Guilty or not guilty isn't a very fair statistic. That's like saying I have a 50% chance of hitting a hole in one...it'll either happen or it won't. There are key variables that are being left out.

I don't want this guy on the supreme court either, but we should be looking at his record and, in my opinion, questionable position on key issues. Putting all of your eggs into this accusation basket isn't going to end well.
"We haven't imported oil from Saudi Arabia in over a decade."
-Actual GFAQs Poster 7/30/18

User Info: Gali_girl

Gali_girl
2 months ago#24
Every Democrat that voted the last choice in today's poll was lying.
Official Doctor River Song of the Doctor Who board.

User Info: mrplainswalker

mrplainswalker
2 months ago#25
goooooBills posted...
I won't pretend to understand the process, but he really doesn't gain anything by talking about it. One wrong detail, even if he's innocent, would be a death sentence.

That would apply to any topic whatsoever. "He might lie about something, so let's not ask him any questions."
It's like punching a round bottom dummy. We all know it's futile, but occasionally it's fun.
- willythemailboy on the subject of stray orcas

User Info: GreenTreeClub

GreenTreeClub
2 months ago#26
No, its because in the age of Trump, FBI investigations are there to derail the administration. If an FBI investigation is allowed, watch it take months and months to get done. All at the same time, Kavanaugh cannot clear his name in front of the senate and in front of the country

goooooBills
2 months ago#27
mrplainswalker posted...
goooooBills posted...
I won't pretend to understand the process, but he really doesn't gain anything by talking about it. One wrong detail, even if he's innocent, would be a death sentence.

That would apply to any topic whatsoever. "He might lie about something, so let's not ask him any questions."

That's not really it. We're talking about making an official statement to the FBI or the police. I'm pretty sure that any lawyer will tell you not to do that unless compelled to. People on trial for murder rarely take the stand. There's a reason for that.

User Info: mrplainswalker

mrplainswalker
2 months ago#28
goooooBills posted...
We're talking about making an official statement to the FBI or the police.

His statements to congress are also under oath. What's the difference?
It's like punching a round bottom dummy. We all know it's futile, but occasionally it's fun.
- willythemailboy on the subject of stray orcas

User Info: CommonGrackle

CommonGrackle
2 months ago#29
Red XlV posted...
Because lying to the FBI is a crime.

He knows that if he let the FBI interview him about Dr. Ford's accusations is because he'd have to either admit they're true, or commit a felony by denying them.

you're wrong and this has been disproven already
reticulating splines...

goooooBills
2 months ago#30
mrplainswalker posted...
goooooBills posted...
We're talking about making an official statement to the FBI or the police.

His statements to congress are also under oath. What's the difference?

"unless compelled to"
  1. Boards
  2. Politics
  3. Reminder: there's only one reason for Kavanaugh to not want to talk to the FBI.
  • Topic Archived